ATTN: All rabbit owners!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arwyn was getting Blue Seal Hutch Deluxe mixed with 10% horse feed when I got her. I have her onBlue Seal 16% with a handful of horse feed thrown in and a handful of calf manna. She also gets Alphalfa hay for now until she reached maturity. Not sure if I should continue the alphalfa hay when I breed her, but it seems to me like it would be a good idea to keep up the nutrients while she's pregant and nursing. She also gets unlimited acces to timothy hay.

Treats are Apple Cinnimon Cherrios and raisens with the occassional apple at night.

You can read what I feed my babies here.

Here's a general overview of what I do, though:

- Unlimited Timothy hay (right now, temporarily Tiffany hay, cuz that's what's available).

- Everybun but Teeny: 1/4c Oxbow Bunny Basics T pellets per 5lbs of bun weight.

- Teeny (the Flemish Giant, who won't be done growing until he's @18mos) gets unlimited Oxbow 15/23 pellets.

I also think Kaytee is a good product, especially when you're on a budget...BUT...I ONLY recommend either Kaytee Supreme Rabbit Daily Blend for a good alfalfa-based pellet or Kaytee Timothy Complete for a good timothy-based pellet food. Other than those two, I just cannot vouch for them (as they have percentages outside the recommended ranges, not to mention some of them have things in the food, like seeds, which are potentially fatal if ingested).

I know, I know, there are some on the board that think Kaytee's horrible...but none of the problems mentioned have been scientifically proven...and the chemicals mentioned about it are also in Oxbow, as well as just about ever pellet food out there.

And yes, I realize that Kaytee makes some types of food for buns and other animals that are really not okay...but if we went by that all the time, we'd all be stuck having to go without any number of important things for our buns.

I go by the percentages of things in the food...it's something that was recommended to me by Naturestee in a thread I posted when I first joined almost two years ago. I've used the Commercial Pellets Article by Kathy Smith the whole time I've had my buns...which I started using to determine good percentages in pellet food based on the percentages Naturestee told me when I asked.

So, there ya have it...my official stand on Kaytee. And I don't even know how I came to say all that...haha...

Anyway, that's what we give our buns. :biggrin2:

My buns all get Purina Complete blend rabbit pellets which I buy in huge quanaties. Each bun gets different amounts because of different breeds (weights... I also do the 1/4c per 5 pounds) and health issues (I have a lot of senior & special needs buns). No one anywhere near me sells Oxbow products, I tried to find a store that would order me their PD food but with no luck so far)... The complete blend is the best pellet feed my feed guy can get me here, but my buns all do really well on it. My local feed guys go out of their way to get me the stuff I want for my buns (and lots of it.)

They all get unlimited Timothy hay - and for ones that like to chew more, a few timothy hay cubes. Some love em, some hate em.

They get treats about 4 times a week in limited quanities (again each bun varies) fresh fruit (some) fresh veggies, and fresh herbs in summer that come out of my garden. I grow most of the veggies for us people and for the critters so I know how they have been handled and where they came from. they also get small quanities of oats 1-2 times per week. And grass in the spring/summer when they are in their outdoor rabbit yards.

I have a almost 6 month old Holland Lop(about 4 pounds).

i feed him Nutriphase( and for anyone wondering, it costs about $4 for a 5 LB. bag.) i'm just about to start rationing his food. he gets Alfalfa Hay(and when he finishes the bags we have now i'm starting him on Timothy hay). he gets dark lettuce every day anda 3-4 long carrot piece. when it's in the house he's also had broccoli, purple cabbage, parsley, peas(in the pod)apple, and, just yesterday, he experienced the joys of a small piece of tangelo. we also get banana, and he has a small piece almost every day.the reason i got the Nutriphase was not the price(although i like that too!), it was the fact that it most closely matched the requirements in the rabbit book i was reading(a Simple Guide To Rabbits).

My two girls(about4 pounds) getapprox 2 cups daily of pellets and a handful of hay. I give them veggies every couple days and 2-3 cheerios each a day.:brownbunny

LadyBug wrote:
i feed him Nutriphase( and for anyone wondering, it costs about $4 for a 5 LB. bag.) the reason i got the Nutriphase was not the price(although i like that too!), it was the fact that it most closely matched the requirements in the rabbit book i was reading(a Simple Guide To Rabbits).

How old is this book :p? Nutriphase isn't a good brand, at all. It has peices of orange junk in it (more than this picture shows...). It's also sold at PetsMart.

pPETS-3756183t400.jpg

Ingredients: Dehydrated alfalfa meal, ground oats, ground wheat, soybean meal, wheat middlings, ground corn, dried cane molasses, dicalcium phosphate, corn oil, calcium carbonate, salt, vitamin a supplement, choline chloride, yucca schidigera extract, dl-methionine, ferrous carbonate, manganous oxide, zinc oxide, riboflavin supplement, vitamin b12 supplement, vitamin e supplement, copper sulfate, ethoxyquin (a preservative), niacin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin k activity), cholecalciferol (source of vitamin d3), calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, folic acid, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate, sodium selenite, artificial color.
Guaranteed Analysis:
  • Crude Protein (min) 17.0%
  • Crude Fat (min) 3.0%
  • Crude Fiber (min) 12.0%
  • Crude Fiber (max) 17.0%
  • Moisture (max) 12.0%
  • Calcium (min) 0.5%
  • Calcium (max) 1.0%
  • Phosphorus (min) 0.4%
  • Salt (min) 0.25%
  • Salt (max) 0.75%
  • Vitamin A (min) 2500 IU/lb

I would highly reccommend switching to a better brand of pellets :).

On the other hand, I now feed Oxbow BBT to my bunnies :D.
Morgan: 1 1/2 years old, 5lbs.
Marlin: 9 months old, 3lbs (roughly).
Brody: 6 months old. 3lbs (roughly).
All three get: 1/4 cup, 1 teaspoon of oats, unlimited hay, and fresh ice cold filtered water (2-3x)....daily.
They also get one craisin or baby carrot nightly before bed.

I would feed veggies, but Brody is the only one who seems to want to eat them...and he doesn't get a ton, so they go bad in the fridge. BUT...all my bunnies are doing well currently :).

I feed Atia 1/8 cup of Oxbow (adult because I couldn't find bunny), and I break up Alfalfa cubes (2) a day. I split this in half, and feed her 1/16th pellet + 1 broken up cube in the morning and one in the afternoon.

And she gets an unlimited amount of a mixture of Timothy and Alfalfa Hay.

My rabbits are fed on veg all the time, I don't usually fed pellets unless I'm broke because where I live they only sell the pellets with all the coloured junk in it. They are fed a huge salad every morning and night. The morning salad contains carrot, cucumber, lettuce, peppers, banana and apple and the evening one doesn't include so much fruit.

They get anything I can pick to eat too, during the winter there isn't much except some leaves and grass but in the summer they get daisys, dandelions and other things that grow in the grass along with veg we grow in out garden.

I rarely feed store bought treats since they aren't too good for them, I used to buy yogurt drops but stopped when I found out they couldn't digest dairy. When I'm at the petshop I sometimes pick up a pack of some sort of treat, but only every two months or so.

Of course they are fed unlimited hay, I use hay as their bedding too so it's always available to them.

They are happy and healthy on that diet so I'm happy with it.

cooured "musli"pellets. (goig to change to nuggets/pellets as soon as the bag bag of mussil rabbit food is gone doown, then mixing them,.... then in 2 weeks they will be on nuggets/pellets...)#

nd lots of hay. no fruit or vegg. how ld do they have to be.. they are both 5months.

i know what not to give them....

I feed both rabbits two ounces (one bowl for both to share) of food per day. That's an ounce per bun, not two ounces per bun. ;) I feed Oxbow BBT mixed with SunSeed's Vita Rabbit. I am just trying to get rid of the Vita Rabbit. I know it's not too good for them, so once this bag is gone, it's gone for good!

Pellet: I started with WalMart @ $4 for 10 lbs. Then I found they sold 20 lb bags for $6. Gave up on WalMart because they were often out of stock since rabbits were not that popular. Now it's either Big Red or Purina Rabbit Chow from feed stores around $14 for 50 lbs. Purina is a bit more but Big Red is 20 miles away.

Hay: Timothy, orchard mix around $9 a bale.

Fresh vege trimmings mostly lettuce, cabbage, kale, mustard greens, cucumber. Pineapple core and skin. Bamboo, tree leaves and twigs. They get unlimited veges on Mondays when I pick up a load and less for the rest of the week as I try to stretch it to last.

They eat like me so some days they might get a whole carrot each and none on others.

I know it's not an optimum diet but I'm not going to force a diet on my buns when I don't do to myself.

My Kirby's 2 yr 5 months (approximate) old. He's a wee bit over 5lbs the last time I weighed him. He gets daily:

-1/4 cup of oxbow bbt (1/8 cup twicea day)
-2 plates of fresh greens: combo of romaine lettuce, green lettuce and parsley
-lots and lots of timothy hay. Recently introduced him to a bit of orchard as well.
-a change of filtered water in his bowl daily. NYC tap is drinkable but you never know what it picks up in your very own pipes so what I drink, he drinks.

Treats:
-He loves his papaya tablets: 1-2 a day. (1 a day as routine, and 1 extra if I picked him up for a bit of huggles so he doesn't get cross with me for doing that)
-Once every few days: 1 baby carrot
-recently he's started to get a teaspoon of canned pumpkin mush, but it's only been a routine of once a week for 2 weeks so far, he loves the stuff warmed (because it came from the fridge)!
-Once every 3 or 4 days he'll get a piece or 2 of dried cranberry.

I try to keep it interesting for him. His core intake every day would be the pellets, greens, timothy hay. He very happily eats all that comes his way though. He's a bit of a piggie, just like mommy n daddy.

I have storm only he is a 1 1/2 pound dwarf.

He get 1/8 Cups of pellets
zepreem all natural pellets timothy based.

3cups of saled split up in two meals.
saled have
lettuce
2 pieces of celery
1 poece of brocoli
1 baby carrot.

He is free feed
oxboe orchard grass hay.
as he wont touch timothy hay.

Pansy is a 1 year old 4 lb mix.

daily menu:

1/4 cup timothy pellets from Sweet Meadow Farms
2 cups veggies: she always gets romaine or green leaf and we'll vary other ones like bok choi, watercress, celery, radish, pumpkin.
less than an ounce of carrots for vitamin A
an occasional natural treat (raisin, apple, or a pinch of oats)
unlimited timothy hay from SMF

Hay, and lots of it. They're on a nummy smelling bale of meadow hay at the moment and they go NUTS for it hehe. They're on a hay only diet at the moment because of ISS. I did re-introduce some veges about 2 weeks ago, they didn't take that to well so its back to just hay.

All of my bunnies are fed on:

1/4 - 1/3 cup of Oxbow BBT pellets. (Cup size depends on size of the bunny)
Unlimited Timothy Hay

Between the 9 rabbits, I feed:

3 romaine
2 green leaf
2 parsley
2 cilantro
1 piece of carrot each
1 small piece of banana each
carrot tops

and sometimes broccoli, spinach, apple, and grape

My two get approx. 1 cup Oxbow Bunny T-Basics every evening (split between the two of them) along with unlimited Timothy hay. They also get assorted veggies in the evening, and in the morning it varies; usually it's a generous portion of parsley, and/or Swiss chard, maybe a bit of spinach, sometimes some apple and banana (sometimes mixed with oat groats...their most favorite treat (fed very sparingly) is banana rolled in oat groats). They also get fed alfalfa hay once every week or two, and/or meadow grass.

Latest posts

Back