Attended first show

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nevaeh

Reaction score
I went to my very first rabbit show this past weekend. I had a blast, I met so many wonderful people who were all so helpful! They welcomed me with open arms and made me feel very comfortable even though I was so nervous! I brought my two mini lops.. One got 8th place and my other was outclassed for being little (both junior bucks).. although he didn't have the best of comments.. I'm just wondering if maybe they will place better at another show since it was their first show? Or will this weekends show determine their 'show career' so to speak? It doesn't matter that they didn't win to me, I still love them so very much, and I am so happy I went, I feel like i've been introduced to a whole new world I never knew existed ! I had no idea I would start showing when I brought them home from a breeder so I wasn't looking for show quality.. but now I would love to get another bun more show quality.. but I do not think that will be happening anytime soon, lol ! Sorry if I have been rambling, it was just all so exciting ! !

That's great that people were so friendly towards you! :) Makes for a great first experience, doesn't it? Knowing that people are there to help you, etc.

What kind of comments did your bucks get, exactly? And how old are they?

You could try taking them to another couple shows, and see how they do there. Judges are all different, they each have their different opinions on the best rabbit. ;) You might let the boys mature, and see how they do as Srs, though, also.
Do you have any posed pictures of them? We could see how they fit the standard from the pictures. ;)

Emily

Thanks for the fast reply ! Well, my broken lilac frosted pearl.. the judge said something about his collar bone .. it all happened so fast that I don't really remember, he may have said something about his hind quarters as well, i'm not sure.. my sisters rabbit, a orange, got pretty good comments I think. He liked his hind quarters, and really liked his fur.. in comparison to my rabbit, my sisters rabbit's fur is very diffrent! I learned that I need to bring cards and write down the comments though ! That would have been helpful to me! All in All I had a wonderful time, and I will be posting pictures of them hopefully tomorrow! They are both bucks & I love them :)

Edit: Both of them are 5-6 months old

One thing you have to remember about a show is that is it that judges opinion of that rabbit on that day. If the same judge were to see that rabbit next month, the outcome could be very different. Another judge on that day could place the rabbit differently. You need to take averages for the shows to really determine if a rabbit is good or not. If a rabbit gets does well in 75% of the shows, but not as well in 25%, then it is probably a good rabbit. If a rabbit does well in a couple shows, but shows poorly the rest of the time, it is not a good show rabbit.

Give your rabbit time to mature and get used to showing. A few months can make a huge difference for a young rabbit. Even a week can make a difference in the coat condition.

If it turns out that your rabbits aren't the best show rabbits, then they still make great pets. If you really want to continue showing, you can buy some good show rabbits from a breeder.

Latest posts

Back