Ate Chocolate

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LV426

Reaction score
Ok So he's not sick yet but today a friend of mine came over and put her purse on my bed where Hermes was. I didn't even think about it and I was showing her my new fish tank in the living room. I finally noticed a rattling crinkly noise coming from my bedroom and I went to see what Hermes was doing. Well he got into her purse and she had some milk chocolate hershey's kisses in there which he promptly found and he ate about half of one and possibly some of the foil wrapper although that's hard to say.

He's 11 weeks old. I don't know his weight off hand but he's over 3lbs at least.
Do I need to do anything? Watch for anything? Rush him to the vet and have his stomach pumped?

Since he at the chocolate he's been eating hay and some of his pellets and drinking water normally.

I would go out and get a probiotic like benebac for him and push hay , reduce the pellets.
I would not worry about this as he didn't eat enough of it for it to be serious although the sugar may disrupt his GI tract a little.
No need to get too upset.

Absolutely agree with Angieluv. My Tony accidentaly got into some chocolate, probably ate more than that, but he's older. Older bunnies have a more stable bacterial community in their gut than young guys, so the sugar from the chocolate could cause his GI microbes to be pretty unhappy. The bene-bac and hay/water diet should help, and if that doesn't do it, he may need some extra (ie vet) help. As for the poisonous effects of chocolate, just make sure he acts normal--lethargy would be a bad sign.

Latest posts

Back