asphyxiation in buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowforbrains

Reaction score
My bun, Bugsy, was found tonight with a fleece blanket wrapped around his neck. It was quickly cut off, and he was given mouth to mouth and rushed to the vet. The vet gave him oxygen and pain meds. He has a huge bruise around his neck, and looks off. He falls to the side, and his head hangs down. My vet did no x-rays. I don't know what to do. Could he be brain damaged? Should I take him to see another vet?

I would immobilise him, put him in a carrier with some rolled up blankets or towels. Then, first thing in the morning, I would be taking him to a reputable rabbit-savvy vet. I would get x-rays done to make sure he's not got any broken or fractured vertebrae.

Is he getting more pain medication than just the injection at the office?

You can also provide him with a little bit of heat if he's feeling cold or shocky. A sock filled with dry rice, tied off, and then microwaved for a few minutes works well.

--Dawn

cowforbrains wrote:
My bun, Bugsy, was found tonight with a fleece blanket wrapped around his neck. It was quickly cut off, and he was given mouth to mouth and rushed to the vet. The vet gave him oxygen and pain meds. He has a huge bruise around his neck, and looks off. He falls to the side, and his head hangs down. My vet did no x-rays. I don't know what to do. Could he be brain damaged? Should I take him to see another vet?
this is someones worse nightmare,,apparently you know bunny cpr--most people do-not,,i am hopeing the medication is making him stagger/fall,,try to stablize him in like a laundry basket with towel/blankets,provide the usual water/food and keep an eye on his behavior/heartbeat/stress level/breathing/alertness..god bless,.:pray:,..sincerely james waller

There may have been some brain damage. Nerve damage may have also been possible when he struggled to free himself.

Pam

This is a really serious issue, and I agree with what aurora said. I think a well-qualified rabbit-experienced vet needs to see him ASAP, and he needs to have an x-ray. Keep him immobilized until then. We have listings of member-proven rabbit-savvy vets in this section.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_forum.php?id=9

omg, i hope he it is something temporary and he can get better. how scary

Bugsy is on Meloxicam .25cc every 24 hours and Bupreneorphine Hydrocholoride .2ml every 12 hours as needed. He still isn't quite acting as himself and has trouble hopping. The second med was added today when I called my vet again. He can't lift his neck very high, so I lowered the water bottle to almost the floor of the cage so he can reach it.

:pray:Sending prayersfor your bunny. I hope he recovers. :pray:...April

Please keep us updated.

Those are both pain medications, and the meloxicam is also anti-inflammatory.

I hope he improves. :pray:

I had thought about a bowl, but with how low he holds his head, I'm afraid he might drown...=/. I'm not sure if he was brain damaged at this point, but I'm taking as few chances as possible.

Back