Aspen wood pellets in NZ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annabelle00

Reaction score
I've been looking for aspen wood pellets in New Zealand...all I seem to come across is the pine pellets.

Does anyone know where I could get any that are not pine.

I haven't really heard of aspen pellets. There might be some brand specifically for small animals, but you probably can't get it in larger sizes (pretty much anything for small animals is in small packages and more expensive). I have seem wheat straw pellets, but not sure if they are available in Australia.

Is there any reason you don't want pine? When made into pellets, they are heated and that removes the harmful oils. Other than a woody smell that goes away in a few day, they are safe to use and should not cause a problem.

I haven't really heard of aspen pellets. There might be some brand specifically for small animals, but you probably can't get it in larger sizes (pretty much anything for small animals is in small packages and more expensive). I have seem wheat straw pellets, but not sure if they are available in Australia.

Is there any reason you don't want pine? When made into pellets, they are heated and that removes the harmful oils. Other than a woody smell that goes away in a few day, they are safe to use and should not cause a problem.

Then would the kiln dried ones be fine? I've read around and I find some pages say they are fine and others say they aren't. We've also got Radiata pine here and someone said that they are fine as they don't really have the phenols in it.

Kiln dried pine pellets are fine. I think kiln dried shavings are also ok, but it can be hard to tell if they are dried or not. With the pellets, they are heated as part of the process. Aspen shavings are somewhat common, but can be expensive.

Latest posts

Back