Ask A Judge .

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was talking withCarolyn tonight and weboth were wondering how many points ittakes before a rabbit gets itsfirst Leg ? What arethe points for ?

I looked on the past postsfor anything that would give usall a clue as to How many points are neededand only found OneThread on Pedigrees , and Honestly I am stillgiggling over a particular post .

Most of us are aware ofhow points are given and forwhich qualities they are awarded highlyfor . as for the rest of scoringI myself am particularly clueless .

If anyone wants to jump in andask any other questions on showing thiswould be a very good thread toask it in .

A rabbit gets a "Leg" by winning any of the following:

First in a class (providing there are 5 or more animals exhibited by 3 or more exhibitors.)

Best of Breed (providing there are 5 or more animals exhibited by 3 or more exhibitors.)

Best of Opposite Sex (providing there are 5 or more animals of the same sex exhibited by 3 or more exhibitors.)

Best of Group (providing there are 5 or more animals exhibited by 3 or more exhibitors.)

Best of Opposite Sex (providing there are 5 or more animals of the same sex exhibited by 3 or more exhibitors.)

Best of Variety (providing there are 5 or more animals exhibited by 3 or more exhibitors.)

Best in Show (providing there are 5 or more animals exhibited by 3 or more exhibitors.)

Legs are only awarded at ARBA sanctioned shows, when judged by ARBAsanctioned judges. Only one leg of Grand Championship may beawarded to the same animal for the same show.

A Grand Champion Certificate is awarded to any rabbit or Cavy that haswon at least 3 legs andis registered by a ARBA licensedregistrar. At least one leg must be won as a senior orintermediate and the wins must be under at least 2 sepearte judges.

Hope this all helps...

Yes thank You Blue Giants ,.

What are the points for I wasnoticing on Chaz's Show results he wasawarded 6 points for the ActonMe show and I have no cluewhat they are for or what theymean .

The points are sweepstakes points, based on thenumber of rabbits he beat... the National Breed Clubs keep track of thepoints of their members . If you show a FlemishGiant, but are not a member of the National Federation of Flemish GiantRabbit Breeders, the points don't mean anything.

If you show a Mini Rex, the National Mini Rex Club keeps track of yourpoints. The points are collected for one year, July 1 throughJune 30... usually awards or recognitionis given by theNational clubs for their top 10 breeders, based on who got the mostpoints. Some Regional Breed Clubs also recognise their top 5or 10 breeders.

Hope that all makes sense...

Yes it makes perfectsense , Thank You very much. Now all I have to do isjoin 50 different clubsto reap the beifits of the points LOL , Ido plan on joining

Flemish , Silver Fox and French Lopand Palomino clubs . those seem tobe my strongest breeds Altho Iam still searching down thePerfect Silver Fox Buck .

Another benefit of joining the national breedclubs is that most of them include an excellent breed guidebook withmembership. Well worth the cost of joining!

Pam

Pam is right! The best info on theFlemishis in the National Breed guide book! Samewith the Mini Rex. Plus you get the support of a bunch ofother people interested in the same breed as you. (And mostof the clubs are pretty inexpensive to join...)

I agree with Pam and Cathy, the individual clubshave great books on the breed. I just recently joined the Flemish Giantclub and love the book! I have tried to find good information on thisbreed and this book has been the best help yet.

Ask a judge seems like a good place to startlooking for the answer to a very big question I have about NetherlandDwarfs. My Mom{gypsy} has an otter netherland dwarf buck, and I havecelest whom is a blue eyed black sport, and I am curious if I breedcelest and the otter is there even the slightest chance of getting ablue eyed otter?? Also would that be showable? Sorry for all thequestions, but I am very interested in the possability of getting ablue eyed otter, even if it is not showable. Hope someone can help lolcause I am absolutely clueless.:angel:

Picture020.jpg

This is the Buck {Bob} that I want to breed with celest for the hopes of Blue eyed otters:)

It would depend largely on the genes the BEW iscarrying as to what colors/mismarks would be produced.Possible colors you could get are chestnut, chin, otter, marten or anyother number of colors depending on what genes the BEW has and whatrecessives the otter has.

There is a chance of getting a blue eyed otter when breeding to a blueeyed white. The otter may also have white markings.Both the blue eyes and white markings would be DQ's.

Pam

Thats cool thank you Pam I appriciate the answerto my questions :) I am thinking I will try to breed for a blue eyedotter then, and hope...if not maybe I can get some pretty show qualitybabies....but breeding is still along way off cause celest isnt oldenough yet...

pamnock wrote:
Itwould depend largely on the genes the BEW is carrying as to whatcolors/mismarks would be produced. Possible colors you couldget are chestnut, chin, otter, marten or any other number of colorsdepending on what genes the BEW has and what recessives the otter has.

There is a chance of getting a blue eyed otter when breeding to a blueeyed white. The otter may also have white markings.Both the blue eyes and white markings would be DQ's.

Pam
Hi Pam , I have a question on whatYou wrote here pertaning to the blue eyed otter havingwhite markings , Would this particularset of markings be what a lot of breedersare calling Sports ? Or wouldthis be entirely different ?

I have been findingthese " Sport " Babies tend to findhomes much faster than correctlymarked babies . Im not sure if it isbecause of the eye color or ifit has to do with thecombination of colors and eyecolor . I have more than a few Breederswanting the Sport line , from the ones I hadfostered . One thing I found out istheSports usually carry the ViennaGene for producing BEW , makiing thempopular with breeders ofespecially the Mini Lops .

gypsy wrote:
Hi Pam, I have a question on what You wrotehere pertaning to t he blueeyed otter having white markings , Wouldthis particular set of markings be what alot of breeders are calling Sports? Or would this be entirely different ?

I have been findingthese " Sport " Babies tend to findhomes much faster than correctlymarked babies . Im not sure if it isbecause of the eye color or ifit has to do with thecombination of colors and eyecolor . I have more than a few Breederswanting the Sport line , from the ones I hadfostered . One thing I found out istheSports usually carry the ViennaGene for producing BEW , makiing thempopular with breeders ofespecially the Mini Lops .

Yes, the blue eyed black otter with white markings would most likely bea BEW sport. The Dutch gene can cause similar markings, butwould be very rare in Netherland Dwarf lines (unless someone has mixedDutch or Dwarf Hotot in).

Pam

With theNetherlands I had gotten in I amnot completely sure whats in their back groundwith the excepotion oof the Little Otterone , he has mostly Blacks and Black ottersin his Ped.

As for the others verdict is still out until their pedigrees come in .

gypsy wrote:
With the Netherlands Ihad gotten in I am notcompletely sure whats in their back ground withthe excepotion oof the Little Otter one ,he has mostly Blacks and Black otters in hisPed.

As for the others verdict is still out until their pedigrees come in .

I cant wait for celest's pedigree to come in.. I have had her for overa month now and still no pedigree..Although from what mom told me thebreeder ended up getting injured or something so its kind ofunderstandable.

I have a question for Pam, Cathy, or anyone who knows.

How do you find out what breeds will most likely be at a show? I amgoing toa show in November and would love to show the rest ofmy family what Athello will look like when he is full grown, andpossibly look into getting another one.

The breeds listed as "sanctioned" are the onesmost likely to be at the show. Other breeds can also beexhibited, but are not awarded specialty points or awards, so manybreeders don't exhibit unless their breed is sanctioned.

For example: Matthew is showing this weekend. Polish aresanctioned, Dwarf Hotots are not. He could show the DwarfHotots if he wanted to, but they are not eligible for specialty pointsor trophies, so we will not be taking them.

On the other hand, just because a breed is sanctioned, doesn't mean forcertain that anyone will show up that day with that particularbreed. Shows generally go by past history of of the mostpopular breeds being shown, and generally just sanction and buy awardsfor those. The show must pay the specialty clubs for each breed itsanctions, so they do not want to waste money on sanctioning breedsthat may not be shown.

Pam

Latest posts

Back