Arthritic Bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmak5

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a joint supplement for my older bunny he doesnt act the same way in certain ways.i asked my vet about glucosamine chondroitin he said i could go to a local vet and ask for cosaquin small dog dose.but i could buy way cheaper store brand human glucosamine chondroitin. money is an issue because he has other problems i am also trying to attend to. I think my rabbit weighs 6.7lbs.
1. Would anybody happen to know the recommended daily dose of glucosamine? (i think its 250?) chondroitin? (i think its 200mg) msm? (unsure? 200mg?????????)
2. can i give him the tablets instead of capsules?
:panic:

I give my rabbits the Oxbow joint supplement tabs. They do like them. I am not sure how much of a difference they make as my rabbits don't seem to have joint issues. I do agility with them, so it is more of a preventative than a treatment.

Using human pills would not be good just for the dose. They are designed for adult humans to take, not little rabbits. Tablets or pills would have other stuff in them to make the pill, so that might not be something you want a rabbit to have. I'd think that a liquid would be better so you can dose it more easily (a small syringe would be needed).

I don't know what a good dose would be for a rabbit. Most medications do vary depending on the concentration of the medication, so even the same drug can be dosed differently.

I have given these before, although the bunnies were not old at the time. I just liked the probiotic part. They are a bit high in carbs so they might be an every-other day thing. Maybe I shouldn't have been giving them, I don't know.
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=eb43cc94-5626-4a83-b818-8834871be475&item=36006&ccd=IFH003&utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=36006&adtype=pla&kwd={keyword}&gclid=CIC4wbeTyLUCFa9aMgodwSgAIw

Mike's bunny Scone had spinal arthritis and they used Adequan. He mentions it being injected, which wouldn't be very convenient, but maybe it would only need to be a monthly treatment?
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f27/older-rabbit-pain-issues-68031/

I am looking to buy a joint supplement for my older bunny he doesnt act the same way in certain ways.i asked my vet about glucosamine chondroitin he said i could go to a local vet and ask for cosaquin small dog dose.but i could buy way cheaper store brand human glucosamine chondroitin. money is an issue because he has other problems i am also trying to attend to. I think my rabbit weighs 6.7lbs.
1. Would anybody happen to know the recommended daily dose of glucosamine? (i think its 250?) chondroitin? (i think its 200mg) msm? (unsure? 200mg?????????)
2. can i give him the tablets instead of capsules?
:panic:
--one word--sulfasalazine,,-myself i suffer from a variety of arthritus,s-(hereditary)-yes,-there are quit a few,,--one of my elder rabbits developed this miserable disease and i gave her some of this med and kept her free of pain for a few more years,,sadly when she passed,,-mr exotic dvm was amazed that she lived a full life,,--i suggest strongly getting support from your exotic dvm first,,dosage,s etc.--probotics are also excellent when using this non-steriod pain reliever-(nsaid)--sincerely james waller---:twocents:group2::bunny19

Mike's bunny Scone had spinal arthritis and they used Adequan. He mentions it being injected, which wouldn't be very convenient, but maybe it would only need to be a monthly treatment?
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f27/older-rabbit-pain-issues-68031/

It started out at a shot every day, then every other day, then once a week, then every other week. The adequan made a huge difference to Scone.

At the time, the vet at Cornell told me that rabbits couldn't take oral glucosamine for some reason. I don't know if they can't tolerate it, or if they metabolize it differently or what. I'd check with a vet before giving a rabbit glucosamine pills to see if they can use them at all, or what the dose might be if they could.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back