Ariella's Eye...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe we had a member (dajeti2) who adopted a rabbit that had an eye removed and it did just fine.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Peg

MsBinky wrote:
The bad news is that I have to wait til Tuesday evening to find out what gives. The rabbit vet will be in then. Should I do anything meanwhile? It bugs me because it looks like her eye is bulgin, it appears larger than the other. I haven't touched it simply because I don't want to make anything worse. She doesn't appear to be in pain. She eats and plays, etc.
I don't know what to say...

Do you really think the eye appears to be bulging? Is it watering at all. Right now Gingi's eyes are so watery that the fur around them gets quite wet and I can see the flesh beneath. Sometimes it appears like there is blood on the flesh, but when I look very, very closely I can tell that it's just the appearance the orange fur makes when wet and matted.

Is there a way for you to post a picture of each eye or an view of her head that would help us to see why you think the eye looks like it is bulging.

Perhaps it's not, but because you are stressed things appear differently. (At least that's how I am...I always envision the worst case scenario until I calm myself down.)

I PMed Randy. Don't know how busy he is and when he'll be checking RO...but he might have some experience to add to this.

Feel free to PM me if you need anything. I'm far away...but I'll help in any way I can.

~Mary Ellen

Thank you both.

I'm nervous. I just feel helpless. Never dealt with this before at all. It appears to be larger than the other. No leaking or anything. I had taken a few pics but it's hard to see... I will have to take more and see if I can show you guys. It's really weird and hard to describe... :?

Hi,

Was asked by some to look in on this thread. That appears to be a cataract. If the eye is bulging too then I would suspect an increased pressure inside the globe... I wouldbe thinkingglaucoma. The vet will probably want to stain the eye to make sure there are no abrasions or ulcers and test the pressue within the eye. Not too much you can do until you actually see a vet other than the usual TLC you would give to an ailing rabbit. It might make the rabbit feel better if you kept some lubricant in the eye...certainly wouldn't hurt. Just make sure it is basic drops wiithout any medication. I prefer the gel versions since it doesn't run out so fast. Treating glaucoma in a rabbit could prove difficult and the removal of the eye is a distinct possibility. We have had some success with treating with drugsbut it's one of those things that brings on a lot of possible side effects.

Randy

Thanks for your quick response, Randy!

Just something to add to his post about staining the eye...

When our vet stained Gingi's that was what made him suspicious enough to send us to the ophthamologist. One thing THAT doc did was to view the eye immediately after staining...then he had Gingi sit for a while (can't remember how long...about 1/2 hour I'd estimate) and he took a look at it again. He showed me how the appearance of the stain changed in that time and that's how he could diagnose it better.

Sorry, I can't recall his exact wording and all that he explained, but I just know that q quick view after staining wasn't enough for him to make his final call on diagnosis. It had something to do with determining whether the "shadow" was a cataract, injury, or an actual "raised" growth. (He actually didn't render a final diagnosis that night...he called the next day after he could confer with a bunny expert. And I was more focused on what to do next...and it's been a year...)

That might not really help you. But I guess what I'm trying to say is to ask the vet tons of questions. Ask him/her to let you see what he/she sees. And don't be afraid to push for more testing and investigation if you're not satisfied that Ariella is getting a thorough exam.

~Mary Ellen

I wouldn't think EC- it looks like a good example of a cataract. You can get the cataract removed.

Normally EC would present other problems than the eye.

MsBinky,
I took some time to wade through some old emails I exchanged with Randy back when Gingi was going through her testing. I am attaching a paragraph from one of those mails...my one record of the doc's diagnosis (since my aging mind couldn't retain it...lol).

Update on Gingivere: Our vet thought that perhaps her ocular issue was unrelated to the EC strong positive result. We treated her with ointment, then drops. No change. He sent us to a veterinary opthamologist. The opthamoligist was an awesome guy! He took so much time and care in his exam and discussion of case history (and didn't charge us anything, either). After conferring with a rabbit expert that he deals with, the eye problem was diagnosed as bilateral corneal dystrophies. They believe it to be genetic (makes sense...she's had them since she was a kit) deposits of calcium, cholesterol, or something else on the eye. The supposition is that this can occur with inbreeding. Currently we are holding off on any surgery. The various vets do not believe that it is painful to her, but that as soon as I notice irritation, watery eyes, etc. to contact them to reevaluate if surgery is necessary. Gingi's optic nerve and the eye got a clean bill of health (minus the calcifications).

Probably a good idea to have them get a look at the optic nerve, too.
Looking forward to hearing about your Tuesday vet appt.
~Mary Ellen

Thanks everyone!

Thank you Randy. That's what I thought about the glaucoma. The problem is I was freaked because I was told that I'd have to have her put to sleep for it. But if this vet knows to remove the eye, than I will not hesitate if I can.

Thank you everyone for your help and advice. I'm sure the vet will do a stain but if not I will tell her to do one. I will keep the eye lubricated til then. :) i will keep you updated.

Update:

I found pictures of glaucoma and it's exactly what her eye looks like :( Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. This won't be easy and I have decisions to make. :(

I'm trying to find more info on it :? it's not a cataract because a cataract is like inside and affects the lens. This is over it and her eye is bulging. She seems unable to blink.

Back