Are veggies necessary

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know when I got Harvey from his prevous owner he was fed nothing but pellets (pellets from the 99 cent store :X )and he's at least a year old. When I got him I switched him over to better pellets and gave him hay. It took a few different types of hay to find what he likes, he still doesn't eat a whole lot. But veggies, well veggies have been some what of an issue. I can feed him small quanties of romaine but if I feed him too much or too often it upsets his tummy. He does fine on cilantro and parsley, he turned his nose up to mint haha. He loves food but the veggies don't always agree with him.

I notice he gets gasier and his gut get all hyperactive when he eats a lot of veggies. It has gotten better, but I don't give him big servings of veggies.

Veggies are strictly necessary but they are a more natural source of nutrients than pellets, have a wider range and offer more enrichment possibilities.

I'm surprised your bun doesn't eat any! I would try different things, there are so many different flavours of vegetables that you might just no have found a tasty one yet :) Also try hand feeding when you'd usually offer the treats, some bunnies assume something from your hand must be extra tasty and it's a good way to get them to try something new.

That's funny, I cant get Rocky off the veges and onto more hay lol

They aren't too necessary but as tasmin said, they do provide some nutrients that they wont get from pellets.

Does she eat grass or dandelions? This might help get her onto some veg, or if she will eat these that will do for some green foods. Maybe try some herbs first also like parsley or basil, they have lots of flavour so maybe she will like them. Rocky eats bok choy and doesn't care much for other vegies.

Maybe take her off the yogurt drops just because they are so yummy she might be getting a little picky with her other foods as she knows she will eventually get one :p Keep it simple and just offer one thing for a while as too much option will cause her to turn her nose up at everything lol

If your bun eats a lot of hay though, this is a blessing and if she will eat the odd veg, herb or grass that's fine diet wise :)

Latest posts

Back