Are they just playing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RebeccaUK

Reaction score
I have two bonded bunnies who were bonded a year ago. The bonding process went extremely well and they became great friends to the extent that they barely leave each others side. This morning I put the bunnies out in the run and the buck (the dominant partner) began binkying and then chasing the doe around at top speed -obviously she was running away from him at top speed too then they would stop and the buck would then sit and rest a few minutes and then the chasing would start again. I watched them a while and there was no sign of attack from the buck - i.e. when the chasing stopped he didn't bite or launch himself at the doe but the doe would dash into the bolthole to hide from him. My husband thinks this is the bunnies playing together and burning their energy and I'm inclined to agree but just wanted to check if you thought this sounded like viciousness -this chasing game has never happened before - today is the first time I've ever seen it. What are your thoughts?

Hi Rebecca,

What an adorable picture. :inlove:

Sometimes a prelude to a fight can look like bunnies are playing. Go with your instincts, but I'd keep a close eye on them when they start this, just to be on the safe side.

Fauna will definitely charge Tucker. It does seem like a game, but it's also about dominance.

-Carolyn

This is certainly making me uneasy.I'm at work now and have left them together in the run, alone!! I really hope everything will be ok until this afternoon when I get home. Why should 2 bunnies become bonded and the best of friends and then all of a sudden start dominance games (if that is what's going on) does anyone know what could trigger this kind of behaviour and any tips on improving relations? I'd hate to get in the situation to have to separate them as they are normally so in love. I know I'm getting panicky now and probably worrying before I need to but I need peace on earth between those two!!

RebeccaUK, I hope you don't mind me posting this here but this is so weird, I was going to post this topic as well. Ruby was chasing Millie today in their run, she nipped her bum to make her run but didn't attack her or anything. Plus this week, Millie hasn't been coming up for food (I think Ruby has been chasing her away but I haven't seen it). Ruby used to chase her when they were young but after they were spayed it stopped. I've been givingMillie extra food but I'm worried about her so I know how you feel. I don't know what to do as I don't want to seperate them.:?

Hi Bunnys_Rule63 - no I don't mind you posting. I hope someone can come on and help us both as I'm so unsure about what to do. I take it your bunnies are siblings? Mine were introduced at age 2 and have been inseparable for a year. When I first bonded them Benjamin exerted his dominance and Twinkle (the doe) accepted it with good grace- there were no arguments - it was almost like love at first sight with them so it's strange to see them darting round like this, however, thebinkying made me think that maybe it was only for fun?! I hope someone can help.

Sometimes, after rabbits get settled in, onewill start to want to exert its dominance over another. For awhile, when Fauna first came to my house, she was very willing tofollow Tucker's lead. Then, one day, she just startedbullying him by chasing him. She wanted to show him that thiswas now Her Warren.

They never fight. Tucker's faster than her and can get awayif he wants to. I did end up putting them in separate cagesbecause Fauna was getting much too pushy with Tucker. Notphysically, but mentally, but still in all, I didn't want the stress tostart for Tucker.

Although they reside in separate cages, they are let out to playtogether. That way, they still have the bond and thefriendship, but when it's time to chill out, Tucker canrelax.

-Carolyn

Thanks RebeccaUK. Yep they are sisters. Milliewas the runt of her litter so was half Ruby's size when I got themsoRuby was the dominant one but I fed Millie up until she wasRuby's size so she couldn't push her around and got them spayed to getrid of her grumpiness and the chasing went away. I don't know why it'scome back now. I do have a theory, for the past week and abit Millie has been more friendly than usual, she hangs around me moreand plays with me more than Ruby does so she is getting more attention.I try to join Ruby in but she plays for a bit then hops away. I thinkRuby may be jealous of the extra attention Millie is getting. The thingis I'm giving Millie more attention now because I need to give herextra food and company as she hasn't been her usual happy self thesepast few days because of the bullying but then if I go to give Rubyattention after she hops away. Do you think this could be it?:?

Back