Are rabbits smart enough to know what's best?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttrkyra

Reaction score
I used to raise rabbits when I lived with mymother, and they had to stay in the garage, and so they only got tocome out for an hour or two once or twice a week.

But now I have a pet bunny, and she's with me almost all of the time,and I've been leaving her cage door open so she can go in and out asshe pleases while I'm here. (I'm semi-anti-social.. I don't go outmuch.. lol) So she pretty much runs around all day. She seems to enjoyit... A LOT. When I put her back in her cage for the night, or in therare case that I leave her alone, she goes right to sleep... (sleepingrabbits are the cutest thing! I always wake her up before I can get apicture though.. =( )

Anyway, my question is this, should I limit her time out of her cage soshe's not exhausting herself? Or am I just some weird rabbit owner..and she'll sleep when she wants to?

Thanks,

--kyra

she'll sleep if she gets tired enough :) heck,she might be sleeping already and you dont know it ;) sometimes bunniessleep with their eyes open! my two are out 24/7 andhave their own regular sleep/down times..

Rabbits in the wild please themselves and comeand go. If she is tired she will find the best spot and sitand have a rest - just like wild bunnies do. Running roundand exploring is natural and it's what bunnies do best. Beingshut in a acge is quite unnatural as they are social animals and enjoybeing active. I think what you're doing is the best thing fora pet bunny

Oh yes, she'll take little bunnynaps and thingsalso. Bo sleeps with his eyes open slightly if he's soundasleep and open most of the way if he's napping. I've scaredhim before not knowing he was asleep. :(

When I let Lenci out (usually all day), she justsits in her favorite spot and sleeps. When she gets hungry orhas to make poo, she's smart enough to make her way back to the litterbox for food and to relieve herself.

She'll run inside her cage when she gets nervousor when she wants a bite of hay or something... but pooing... oh,she'll do that anywhere... *glares at little Keehani!*

That bunny in your avatar is beautiful! He/she almost looks blue. :)

Spiced77 wrote:
she'll sleep if she gets tired enough :) heck, she might besleeping already and you dont know it ;) sometimes bunnies sleep withtheir eyes open! my two are out 24/7 and have their own regularsleep/down times..

Rabbits really can and do sleep with their eyes open!? I thought thathad to have been a myth (lol... or urban legend!) So when my bunniesare lying down in their hutches, but have their eyes open they might benapping? I better stop singing to them nonstop then, because I dontwant to wake them up.

This all just reminded be of funny incident acouple of weeks ago. I was watching American Idol in the bunny room.When one of the really bad singers was on, both Stephie and Bella gotup on their hind legs and looked around as if to say "What the heck isthat I have to listen to!?!:shock:If was so funny, you had tobe there.

I even sometime take my rabbit to the roof... tonibble from my plants. and Sometime to the stareroom to exrasize, andeven once to the street. NOT loos of course, lol but I over reactive, Ilet him allways to know where is the way to the cage and to food andwater. To let rabbit go out a little is good and smart.Ithink you sould let him once a while.

Latest posts

Back