Are people typically scarred of the Red-eyed bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweetiepy

Reaction score

I seem to be reading that the red-eyed variety of rabbits is not at all desirable - is this true? Or do people just not like them because their eyes are freaky? My son laughs when we bring Peaches out into the sun, his eyes go all white it seems - Is this why it is not a desirable trait or is it something else. Do people just find them freaky?

I do. It's just creepy to me and I don't like seeing it. No offense the poor bun at all, I just can't handle seeing those red eyes every day. I'm sure they are wonderful buns though. Just as long as they stay at someone else's house. ;)

I think REWs are beautiful. We have Mini Rex does that throw them. I don't find the eyes creepy at all.

As a breeder of only REWs (right now, anyway) I do find that people won't get them because of their eye colour. I've heard some VERY crazy things...like them being Devil's bunnies, or people won't get them because it's against their religion to have an animal with red eyes...:rollseyes. Really strange things any way around.

Really, their eyes aren't that bad. People think they are this color: :Xbut they aren't. They are more light lavender, with a pinkish tint over it.

When I first got a REW, well actually he was born here, I was a little weary, but I grew accustomed to it... otherwise I wouldn't have 8 REWs in my rabbitry right now. :p

Emily

I didn't like them at first but fostered one and I am in love with them now.

Oh I think they are utterly gorgeous. My first hamster was an albino dwarf, and he was just the cutest little thing. Pure white fur with his gorgeous light pink eyes.

I guess I can understand some people not liking them but I really like the idea of a pet not being conventionally perfect- it makes them seem so unique. My Benji has scars down his ears where he was attacked while in the 'care' of his previous owner but I just think they make him more special- who he is. My Pippin has one ear up and one ear down, and I adore that too :).

Jen

I like them but I think they bring back memories of other industries that rabbits have been used for in the past, where they weren't kept as beloved pets, but used more for labs and agriculture. It's guilt by historical association.

My REW Snowball is the best, most loving rabbit ever. I call her "Craisin Eyes." I get a lot of people tell me that it freaks them out. Seriously, you get used to it and never really notice after a while.

Peaches isn't really a REW he's a pointed white with red eyes, but I agree, in the sun it's freaky cuz they look white - he actually looks dead if I can manage to flip him over on his back and he trances - I had to check for the twitching nose to make sure he was still alive.

I have a rescued albino ferret that was given up because his "eyes were red and reminded (the person) of a rat". I have heard that "red eyed remind me of rats" thing several times.

1) Any albino animal is going to have red eyes.

2) Rats rock either way.

Latest posts

Back