Are my rabbits acting aggressive?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topaz

Reaction score
I brought my rabbits home about 4 weeks ago. They were a bonded pair of males, one black (Jasper,) and one agouti (Marlowe.) They were dump offs at a local pet supply store from a breeder because they are not "show quality." They live in a x-pen cage, eat oxbox timothy pellets and timothy hay. Mostly litter trained, and unaltered. I hope to get them neutered by the end of the month.

I have been noticing chunks of fur from Jasper laying in the cage everyday when I go to sweep out the poops. We just witnessed Marlowe chasing Jasper around, and Jasper jumping into the litter box and thumping his foot. Many chunks of fur all over the cage. They also hump each other continously. Up until tonight I thought it was just a dominance thing. Now I'm a bit worried.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Also, later this month I hope to bring home another baby boy male. Should the current guys be neutered before trying introductions?

It's probably because they're unaltered. If you want to stop them, it'd be best to have them neutered, or just seperate them....they wouldn't be able to be friends anymore, but you would have less chance of a severely injured rabbit ;)

Emily

:yeahthat:

Yeah, I wouldn't introduce anyone else until these guys are neutered. You could see if you could have them neutered the same day so they have each other for comfort, although, most times, males do great after neuters, so, they likely won't lose their bond;).

That's what I was planning to do.

Okay, so neuteres before intro's. Thanks!
AngelnSnuffy wrote:
:yeahthat:

Yeah, I wouldn't introduce anyone else until these guys are neutered. You could see if you could have them neutered the same day so they have each other for comfort, although, most times, males do great after neuters, so, they likely won't lose their bond;).

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
It's probably because they're unaltered. If you want to stop them, it'd be best to have them neutered, or just seperate them....they wouldn't be able to be friends anymore, but you would have less chance of a severely injured rabbit ;)

Emily

^^ That's probably the cause to that. :p

This is kinda what happened to my 2 females. They are sisters and I had them together for awhile, untill Rayne -one of my buns- decided to start nipping hardly at her sister, aslo humping her for dominance.And they were getting to be around 6months-7months. When their hormones start kicking in more.

Also, probably getting them neutered and then slowly re-introduce them would be great.:D

I agree with what everyone said about their behavior being most likely due to the fact that they're unaltered. It sounds like you're on the right track with getting them neutered and then introducing a third male to the mix, but I do want to offer one piece of experience.

Sometimes young bunnies who are bonded to one another prior to neuter do not bond after being altered. It's something I've experienced and should be considered. I'd definitely consider watching them once they're put back together after their neuters. They may still decide that they want to fight with one another rather than cuddle. And introducing another bunny to the mix at any time can cause previously bonded bunnies to fight and unbond.

With rabbits, there's no guarantees. And while that may never be an issue, I didn't want to just "forget" that it's always a possibility. I hope for you everything works out. Please keep us updated with stories and lots of pictures! (And love the name Marlowe, by the way!)

I really wish the best for you and it's funny, it seems in male buns (well I've had one for 3 months) and at 6 months old his lil hormones kicked in and started biting everyone and spraying everything.. Next week got him fixed - no more spraying but still "charges" everyone but me (well, occasionally when he knows I'm leaving him to go somewhere else), but their lil hormones run them pretty well for awhile..

I hope they can rebond and just keep in mind patience may be needed..

Please update after the neutor (and pix! - please!) :D

Thanks again everyone for your advice. I appreciate it!

I hope these guys can stay together after their neuters. It'll be bad on many levels if they cant :( (not that I can't handle it though, ;) )

They're scheduled for their pre-op exam on Monday, and probably go in for the netuer on Thursday. I'll let you know how it goes, and will probably be bombarding you with more questions afterwards.

There was no fighting in their pen at all lat night, just tons of cuddling. I'm starting to think they're bipolar (ha-ha)

Pics coming soon, as well, since I just got a new camera :biggrin2:

I'd honestly seriously consider separating them now and keeping them side-by-side. Two unneutered males can cause some serious,sometimes fatal damage.

And definitely keep any other rabbits totally away from them, they may be a trigger.

How old are they?Have their little boy bits dropped? How have they been getting alongsince your last post?

If it's one bunny harrassing the other,if you don't separate them, make sure they're in a space with hidey boxes (with an entrance and a extra little side exit works well) and shelves and other escape routes.

Let us know how it goes!

sas :bunnydance:

There's been nothing but cuddling since my first post.

I have no real idea how old they are, just that they're young adults. It's very much apparant that they're males ;) They were a drop off from a breeder who wanted to get rid of the "non-show quality" rabbits, and they're still pretty skittish of us for the most part. If you think bringing in another rabbit would caue more problems, then I won't adopt for a while and make sure these guys will be okay first.

Thanks again everyone. I'll let you all know when the neuters will be schedule and how they do 'til and after then.

Just a quick update. The buns are going in for their neuters on Tuesday morning. Will keep everyone updated, and let's cross all fingers, toes and tails for smooth sailing.

Topaz wrote:
Just a quick update. The buns are going in for their neuters on Tuesday morning. Will keep everyone updated, and let's cross all fingers, toes and tails for smooth sailing.

:bunnynurse:

Good Luck!

Wanted to give everyone and update. Marlowe and Jasper were neutered yesterday afternoon and so far have had no problems with them. They didn't make as big of a mess last night kicking poo out of their litter box as they normally do, but otherwise things seems to be great.

Latest posts

Back