Are mixed breeds healthier that pure breeds?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nose_twitch

Reaction score
I know that dogs that are mixed breeds generallyhave less health problems than pure breeds (and are nicerpets!). Is this true for rabbits as well? Or is itdifferent? Sorry if there is a thread on thisalready. I couldn't find one.

Although mixed breeds can be just as inbred aspure breeds. Like when someone gets two bunnies of oppositesex and just never separates them. But there is a lot to besaid for hybrid vigor- it's used for many food plants and some newlypopular crossbreeds of dogs like the goldendoodle.

Part of it depends on the breed, too. Some are more likely tohave problems with maloclusion, such as dwarfs, and other diseases likemegacolon for English Spots and Dwarf Hotots.

I do want to say something about purebreds in their favor.

If you deal with a responsible breeder - they can tell you about thatanimal and the lineage behind it....and if there are any geneticproblems behind it.

Also, many people who breed purebreds and linebreed (which helps settraits but also can set faults) will bring in other animals to bringvigor back into the line and keep their animals healthy.

I'm all for rescuing animals from the shelter - I hate the thought ofany rabbit going without a home. If I could - I'd try torescue them all - fortunately for us - the nearest rescue is 3 hoursaway one way.

If you can't get an animal from a shelter or want a purebred - I'dreally recommend going to a breeder over a pet store UNLESS the petstore really knows what they're doing and works directly withthe breeder. Even then....I personally think it is good totalk to the breeder.

I'm probably more involved in the lives of my babies and rabbits thanmost breeders...but I can tell you a lot about their personalities -which ones are shy - which ones are adventurous - which ones I feel mayneed a bit more care. To be honest, I won't just sellyou a rabbit if you want one - I want to make sure you are agood match for the rabbit I have. I have turned down salesand reserve the right to do so.

I guess my point is this - both mixed breeds and purebreeds have theirbenefits and their "faults". The trick is decidingwhat is right for you!

Peg

Latest posts

Back