Are grinding teeth and urinating signs of nervousness?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
Hey everyone! We're very much enjoying our new bunny Rory, but he does some things that confuse us. I was wondering if urinating and grinding teeth can be signs of nervousness? I

He seems to be good at using the litter box and hasn't peed outside of it when in his cage, but I got him out three times yesterday (BTW the door was open all day so he could come out on his own, but he didn't get that far, just stuck his head and front paws out a few times, and I stopped to pet him lots. The cage is in the living room where we spend nearly all our time. I'm trying to let him settle in so he's not spending as much time on our laps as he hopefully will in a few days) and two of those times he ended up peeing! Both times he was only out for less than 10 minutes. I know they urinate to mark, but it doesn't seem like that's what he was doing. The first time he was on our futon with us. He was digging at the blanket and then took a wee on it, not in the corner or anything. Cinnabun used to dig if he was going to pee, but I wanted to give Rory a chance since they aren't the same bunny. He seemed nervous and became tense and struggled a bit. Then later on, I took him out of his cage and had him on the kitchen floor. He sat on my lap most of the time, only leaving once to explore a couple feet away for about 30 seconds, then he came back, sat on my leg and peed off the back of my leg. He seemed scared then, too.

The other thing is the teeth grinding. The first night we had him, he was sitting on my lap and I was stroking his ears. He was grinding his teeth (which I took to be a sign he was enjoying it, Cinny loved his ears being petted and would grind his teeth in contentment) and then he turned and nipped me very lightly on the arm (the movement was quick, but it didn't hurt at all and didn't leave a mark). While I was petting his ears, his eyes were quite big and after the nip, he got very antsy and started struggling when I was holding him and when I tried putting him back in his house. Then yesterday during both peeing incidents he was grinding his teeth too. Both times his eyes were quite big and he looked rather nervous and he was tense afterwards.

What do you all think? He's been eating and drinking great and has been pooping lots in his litter box. He really likes to flop around and laze around in his cage. It's usually pretty easy to get him out of his cage and he isn't tensed when I'm carrying him and doesn't try to get away from being petted or held, but he does look nervous anyway.

Thank you for helping me decode my bun's behavior! I hope he doesn't feel the need to pee on everything in the future :vacuum:, but I will:hearts him even if he does! I can't wait until he feels at ease in his new home.

Hmm, what about when he is in his cage? Have you noticed that when he pees while in his cage, is he doing the teeth grinding then as well? If you haven't caught that as of yet, try doing that. If he's grinding while in his litterbox and peeing, it could be a urinary tract infection.

It could be that he is still nervous about this new surroundings. When I talk to my Angel, she'll grind her teeth. She loves when I talk to her. So, he could be enjoying the petting.

first off i find most of mine like to dig before they pee and i tend to move them to the litter tray sharpish!!

He could be a bit conflicted he loves the ear rubs but the big eyes and tension is cause he's not 100% sure of you yet, he should settle down in time

But as Angelnsnuffy mentioned if he is grinding while peeing he could have a little uti and cranberry is good for helping that:)

If I recall he is very new in your home.

Urinating can mean he is claiming you. Both Elvis and Connor do that to me. :grumpy:Teeth could be pleasure or pain.

Did you stop peeting him at anytime? Ringo will nip lightly if you stop petting him.

Hi guys! Bunnicula mentioned in one of her posts on a different thread that Gingivere grinds her teeth when she's stressed out, like when she's in the carrier on a car ride to the vet. I think Rory's teeth grinding was from stress. He doesn't grind his teeth when he pees in his cage, it's just when he's been out for a few minutes already. I know he feels nervous because his eyes get really big.

Yesterday and today have been big days for him. I opted to take it slower with him by not taking him out of his cage yesterday, instead I left the door open so he could come out if he wanted to (he didn't) and spent a lot of time sitting by his cage, singing to him, and hand feeding him pellets from his bowl (he wouldn't take food from my hands, other than lettuce, until yesterday). And, of course, lots of petting. This seemed to stress him out a lot less as his eyes weren't huge and he wasn't grinding his teeth. He also chewed his chew toys for the first time, was throwing ball with the bell in it around the cage a bunch and did mini-binkies in the cage.

He seems to be a rather introverted rabbit and the only way to tell he's nervous is that his eyes are really big (when he's scared, he tenses and struggles, but I'm talking about more of a constant nervous thing). The people at the shelter were commenting on how big his eyes always are. I believe he's been on edge at least since he was brought to the shelter on October 4th and is just now starting to relax.

Since he seems to have been always on edge until yesterday (and his eyes still get big if I pet him for a long time), I'm inclined to think that the teeth grinding was a sign that his nervousness was mounting and he was starting to get scared. I know I clench my teeth when I'm really stressed, too!

He has still not peed outside his litter box while in his cage (good boy!) and most of his doots make it into the box, too. His urine doesn't seem to have much smell, even when I cleaned the litter box today! He has been eating very enthusiastically and his doots are all nice and solid. There is of course a chance that his teeth grinding could be because of a UTI or because he's in pain, but the fact that he only does it when he's out of his cage and already feeling stressed seems to indicate that he isn't in pain. We will be going to the vet very soon though for a check up and neuter and I'll be sure to ask about it.

Do you guys think that my assessment of him is okay? Thank you so much for your thoughts! I'm going to take him out of his cage tonight and we'll see if he pees and grinds teeth again.

Yep, I think first off, you know your bun best, even though he's new. So, your assessment sounds good, you're probably right.

Let us know what the vet says too. I'm sure he's just fine;).

Poor guy. It does sound like he's scared. Just be quiet, soft, maybe a room with dim lighting.... I did that with Clover as a baby..... when I got her out I always made things very calm and it really helped I think.

Latest posts

Back