Are different breeds more or less active than others??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyRabbits

Reaction score
Hi guys..this is just a question out of curiosity...I'm wondering if different breeds of rabbits are more or less active than other breeds..The reason I ask is that my rabbits energy levels are completley different from one another.. Spirit is a netherland and is constantly on the go, hopping up on tables, chairs and anything else she is capable of hopping on..she is very active and very mischevious..Shadow on the other hand is very..well I guess theres no other way to say it..very lazy! He just kinda lays around and hangs out in his favorite spot under the table in my closet..The times I see him active the most is when Spirit moves away from him and he chases after her just to be by her wherever she has chose to be then he justlays back down again( he is sooo attached to her and cant bear to not be by her side for more than 5 seconds at a time )...He's always been this way since we've had him and thats been quite awhile now..I dont think that he's sick or anything..all his habits of eating/drinking/bathroom are normal and like I said this isnt something that is just recently happening..its been happening since we got him..I can understand them having different personalities thats to be expected..just wondering about their energy levels..and maybe if it has anythingto do with him being the submissive one in the relationship? are some rabbits just less active than others?? Thanks for your input :biggrin2:

In my experience, smaller breeds tend to be more active and high strung. Lops and larger breeds tend to be more laid back.

This is only a general blanket statement though, it very much depends on the individual rabbit.

Both my NDs are balls of motion and attitude, although my mini-rex Dill gave them a run for their money, just in a lot more 'cheerful' manner as opposed to the 'angry dwarf' attitude (although they're both benign, they're all talk).

Some of my other mini-rexes have been fairly speedy and excitable, mostly because they're so curious, although not all of them.

My four or five bigger mutt guys and girls are/were all fairly laid back.

But Darry, my mini-lop, is always on 'go', too.

sas :bunnydance:

my mini lop is very atctive... hyper even when the other is laid back.. so i think its the rabbit

my dwarf lop girl who is 7 months old is pretty hyperactive, at least in comparison to my 2 year old boy (breed unknown). he hops around a bit but he also lies down around the lounge room. whereas the only time I've seen lulu lying down was after she came home from being spayed. usually she is on the move, being cheeky and climbing on things.

does age play a part in it as well... based on my two anyway, it seems this way.

Yes, age can play a part too, like with people. Often the younger rabbits (and those with hormones) will be far more active than older rabbits and those who have been spayed/neutered.

it all depends on the rabbit

but there are generalizations like how lops would rather sit in a blob on the floor then run around

and that dwarf and full-arch breeds (rhinelanders, netherland dwarfs, tans, dwarf hotots, ect) are far more active.

i have had both active lops and inactive rhinelanders and dwarf hotots

it will all depend on the rabbit and the rabbits age

A lot of it has to do with the individual rabbit's personality and age. Although there are some generalizations about some breeds being more active.

In my own experience I have found that mini lops for the most part like to sit around- however our 5 year old mini lop doe, Cerridwyn has always been very active. Angora's on the other hand tend to be very docile and calm- although when turned loose (in the house or an x-pen in the yard) they can be wild and love to jump and twist in the air.

So this is the wierdest thing...Spirit is at the vets right now for her spay shes been there since around 10 am...and shadow is going bezerk with energy..running around doing binkys and just racing at 90mph from one side of the room to the other...he NEVER does that when shes here...now I'm confused...is he not happy to have a mate?? When she is here he doesnt leave her side so I know he loves her and wants her around, I just find it odd that all of a sudden shes not here and hes full of energy...so wierd...any thoughts?

I have a very laid back 5 month old Holland Lop. So he fits the lop stereotype, but not the age stereotype.

As for running around more when she's gone, it could just be the change of routine. When I mix things up, my bun gets way more active for a day or two. Every time he goes somewhere and comes home he runs around with joy (even the day after his neuter!).

Then again, I did have a dog who was very happy when her brother needed to stay at the vet's office. He was kind of domineering towards her, and her personality seemed to blossom when he wasn't around. So you never know! Animals are funny.

Latest posts

Back