Are bunnies smart enough not to jump off a 3 story balcony?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bright Eyes

Reaction score
Panda is about 6 months.
I recently moved his cage outside to the covered balcony because it is (finally) become nice spring weather here in Quebec.

I live in an apartment, on the third floor.

If I let him run around the balcony, he could probably fit under or through the bars if he wanted to.

The question is, is he smart enough to know that kind of drop means bunny death?

I don`t want a tragedy on my hands, but I think he`d quite like the balcony if he could have it.

Any experiences?

When bunnies panic, they don't think at all. They just bolt. I wouldn't risk it, not unless you put something there to keep him in.

K:)

Hmm, I think you`re right. Maybe some NIC panels?

I`m also trying to assess whether or not a cat could somehow infiltrate his space...

I'd wire or panel it just because. When Finn is happy he's binky man and runs into things just cause he's happy. I don't think any bunny would leap to their death, but they do kind of live in the moment. Otherwise we wouldn't have words like "accident" and phrases like "oops!"

I'd put an xpen out there & either cover it or not leave it alone, or use nics. Cats in my condo have been known to jump from one balcony to an adjacent one.

Larry, ha, I like that phrase- "bunnies do kind of live in the moment." Indeed! Like the others said, I'd block it off with NIC panels and make the barrier 2 NIC panels high. Is your bunny a NIC panel climber? Some of mine are. Something to consider. Like you said, I would also worry about cats and maybe even birds of prey.

Side note, my aunt let her bunny out on the balcony once and left him there while she went to the store. It rained while she was gone and the bun got sick and died :(

I would definitely mesh or NIC pen the balcony and avoid leaving things around that he could jump on and look over the railing, etc. I am guessing you have stairs leading to the balcony? It is possible that a cat *would* come sneak by but I think it'd be fine if you'd stick closeby. :)

Latest posts

Back