Are allergies possible in rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smay

Reaction score
I have a mini satin that had like a small amount of white mucus coming from his nose and he was sneezing. I treated with 3 injections of penacillan for 3 consecutive days.

The nose is not running anymore and he is eating, drinking, pooping, all normal. He actualy never stopped eating.

The problem is, he still sneezes but I don't she any discharge or wetness to the nose at all. Is is possible he still has "a cold" or is he ok? Could he still be a carrier and infect other rabbits?

It's always a good idea to treat any rabbit that shows any symptoms like they are contagious, no matter how innocuous the symptom seems to be.

How often is he sneezing? I have rabbits that have little sneezing fits every once in a while, but it's probably due to them accidentally sniffing up some dust off the feed or their hay (or a fly on their nose), or even just having drunk from the bottle wrong.

My guess would probably be that the antibiotics helped clear up most of the infection, but I would give him up to two weeks for full recovery.

He's been doing this quite a while. When i first got him he never sneezed, then when I noticed he had discharge from his nose i treated him right away. Its been about a month since treatment and he is still sneezing. Its not as much as before but he does still have little sneezing fits.

Hmmm...is it while he's eating, drinking or digging? Sneezing then (even in fits) is pretty normal.

If there's no discharge and he's not having trouble breathing, I couldn't say he really has anything else.

Back