ARBA Standard of Perfection

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow... I went with Something like $100, and I was just getting started with rabbits and I didn't know as much about them as I should have. I got two rabbits, and the cost $100 altogether.You know both of them never placed above 3rd? I was ripped off!:X

Akkatia wrote:
Wow... I went with Something like $100, and I was just getting started with rabbits and I didn't know as much about them as I should have. I got two rabbits, and the cost $100 altogether. You know both of them never placed above 3rd? I was ripped off!:X

Welcome to the world of showing rabbits.:cool:

Just because you paid a lot for a rabbit (and $50 isn't much for a show rabbit) doesn't mean that rabbit will clean up on the show table. There are many expensive, quality rabbits that are useful in breeding programs, but don't do well on the show table.

Once you become more experienced, you should be able to purchase rabbits based on your knowledge of how to choose a quality rabbit,rather than buying based on price alone.

3rd place? Doesn't sound to me like you got ripped off at all.

Pam

Oh, I meant 3rd in their breed and variety...and there was only about five of them... :( They were Hollands, that's what I used to have until I started with Dutch. That was probably four years ago, though. It's amazing what I've learned in four years! Dutch rabbits really make you think. And for me, that's not a bad thing!:) (I need to keep my mind busy)

I don't know if you could call them show rabbits, though... they had never been shown before I got them.

Hollands are a very competitive and very expensive breed -- very tough to start with and Icertainly wouldn't complain about $50 Hollands placing in the middle of their class.

We've had Holland Lops for about 16 years. At one time, my son was the #1 open Ohio breeder (very competitive state) and he was also in the open top 20 in the nation.

We still keep a small herd, but no longer show much. Do have some promising looking juniors though :)

Pam

i was VERY happy with my first show rabbit. I bought Leo as a pet rabbit from a pet shop and they asked if I wanted his pedigree. I was like, OK. Then I decided I would show him and he placedthird behind BOV and Best Opposite of Variety. There was only 6 in the class but he is also 2 years old and never been show.

The judge said if I fixed his coat I would have passed the BOV Buck who had a awesome coat but NO type. He said Leo has lots of type and hes gorgeous but he has no coat!

I do think Hollands are cute, but I think Dutch are more my taste. They've got such outgoing personalities!;)

Latest posts

Back