Apple Update

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarGlider

Reaction score
I'm sorry to say that Apple has not continued toprogress and in fact has regressed a bit. She is able to carefor herself well and seems to be stable now. I'm not sure howthings will go as she gets older. She's a good bunny though:) She is very curious too.

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

Oh Robin, those pics just break my heart. What abeautiful little girl. And your son is so adorable with her. He lookslike hes so gentle and loving with her.

Is there any sort of meds they can give her to help? Does she get dizzy holding her head like that?

Poor dear. Shes so beautiful, her coloring and everything. I'll bepraying for her.I hope she can recover or at least adapt in away where she can live a healthy happy life.

Keep up the good work though. Youre a great bunny mom :pray:

She's absolutely beautiful, you can see the life in her eyes despite her head tilt which must be very hard for her to cope with.

I don't know the story behind her but I wanted to just say how I admire a rabbit that just keeps on trucking :).

I'm SOOOO sorry to hear about Apple!My very first bun, a little Holland Lop named Pembleton, got head tiltand to this day I'd say it was the worst bunny illness I ever had todeal with...any pet illness for that matter. It's so heartbreaking tosee them like that and the rolling was so sad to see. Every time I seeone of my little ones even tip their head slightly now, even just tolook at something,I get nervous.

One thing I did that was helpful to him is that wherever he was...inhis cage, on the floor, on a chair, etc....I'd make "bumper pads" outof big rolled up towels. I made them about as tall as wherehis head was. He would kind of rest his head on the towelsand then he was able to scoot around quite well along the towelswithout tipping over. I think it sort of balanced him out sohe didn't feel so disoriented.

She's gorgeous :inlove:

She also seems to have a really greatsense of balance and coordination. Peanut's head is tilted at aboutthat angle (only in the other direction) and she runs around like atotally normal rabbit. Considering how young she still is, I'd say shehas great potential to adapt with her tilt :hug1

Oh no poor Apple! She had been lookingso well. If she's having trouble keeping her balance, thereare meds available. M.E.'s Peanut was taking one for her headtilt.

:pray:

Meclizine (akaDramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine, etc.) provides relief from vertigo. Forhead tilt bunnies, it can help them maintain their balance and quellany naseua they may be having. Peanut was on Meclizine during her worsttimes, when she was rolling *constantly*, but since she's doing so wellshe no longer takes any meds.

Because Apple's tilt was caused byneurological trauma, a vet might perhapsprescribe short-termsteroids to relieve any swelling she may have. Personally, I'd opt toavoid intervention unless it's obvious she's not coping well. Like Isaid, it looks as though she's doing well despite thetilt.

Haley wrote:
And your son is so adorable with her. He lookslike hes so gentle and loving with her.
I totally agree. How heart warming to see that compassion in ayoungster. And Apple seems to feel totally comfortable with him, too!

It's a shame that there is no further improvement, but looking at thatvideo, she seems so happy and managing fine. Well done to you and yourfamily for giving her the best possible chance :)

Jan

Thank you everyone.

What Happened : She has been like this since she was a weekold. I was cleaning the container I had them in and had setthem beside me in a blanket and my daughter walked in and stepped onher. She could not walk at first and rolled while the otherbabies were crawling around then she seemed to get better and almosthold her head strait then it went back to what you see now.

The babies are almost 7 weeks old.

I have not talked to my vet about her lately because she's pregnant andhaving complications and is on bed rest till the baby isborn. I'd talked to her breafly before that and she mentionedsteroids but then she wend on bed rest so I have no vet now unlessthere is a big emergency.

She can eat and drink and she tries to run around and binky like therest but she's not as able to do that. She does lose herbalance sometimes.

I was very worried about her lower eye being injured when I moved themto a cage with bedding but that has not happened, thankfully.

I really appreciate everyones good thoughts for our special bunny :)

(PS the rest of the crew is doing good!)

Poor little Apple:(

You are certainly doing a great job though, you obviously want to do everything you can to make her life good:)

:goodluckand prayers for you and Apple:pray:

I currently have a Jersey Wooly buck that doesthe same thing. He can't run but hops straight.They can lead normal lives with a head tilt. Just make surethat you keep an eye on the "down" eye. Make sure that Applecan open it. She shouldn't have a problem though.

Sharon

oh.. poor baby, i hope she gets better soon.
~ani-lover

ps we should move this to the infirmary

I keep looking at this little girl. She is so cute. I think she is so beautiful, even though she is "special":hearts

Her little personality really shows through.:bunnyheart

~Star~

Latest posts

Back