Apollo Not Eating Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dajeti2

Reaction score
I've noticed that Apollo isn't eating no wherenear the amount of hay he normally does. I give him his hay in a bowl,he won't take it from the hay rack. Since yesterdaay morning he hasonly eaten a quarter of the bowl. I dumped it out today and refilled itbut he only ate like 6 pieces and that's all. What can I do? Do I needto get him to the vet.

He is still eating his pellets, drinking and going potty fine. He'snot acting any different. I don't know why he would go off his hay likethat. Any help will surely put this worried mom's mind at ease.

Tina

Not to worry, yet. They get moody aboutdiet, sometimes. Same hay, still good, not moldy looking orsmelling?

If he's pooping, peeing and drinking normally., there is little occasion for worry, but you will...so keep a close eye.

Buck

Calbert's doing the same thing, Tina. Samesituation, poops normally, drinks, eats, active, energetic, etc. It'sgotten incredibly hot and humid here lately. Some buns react to that byslowing down on their appetite.

Agree with Buck that you want to keep an eye on it, but I wouldn't betoo alarmed, but rather, alert to his behavior and eating.

There's enough of fiber in a good pellet food to keep his digestivesystem moving along fine. Pamnock doesn't give her rabbits hay becauseof the mess, but she knows that the pellet feed she gives has the fiberthey need.

-Carolyn

Oh, I'm so glad that Buck answered this!

I worry about my dear sweet Apollo.

Keep us informed, Tina! :)

Thank you all for replying so quickly. Apollogets MannPro rabbit pellets. He was getting Orchard Grass at thebreeders. We switched him toTimothy a little over 2 monthsago. I've been buying the Hay-Kob until I can afford the Oxbow. Ibought a bigger bag than I normally do only because it was greener andsmelled better. But he's been eating it fine until now.

I am especially worried about him not eating his hay. Tomorrow mysister is coming from Chicago with her boyfriend and my niece. I amalso babysitting my neighbor's daughter. Apollo has never had to dealwith such a full house before. I don't want him to get stresses and gooff all his food.

Again thank you all so much.

Tina

If Apollo can handle a baseball game, I wouldn't worry at all about having a full house.

To him, that just means more attention and possibly treats thrown his way.

:)

-Carolyn

Thank you Carolyn. I didn't even think of it that way. Thank you.

Buck, how well you know me. When it comes to my baby I tend to worry lol.

Tina

I seemed to be worried for nothing. He musthave just had an off two days. He's eating it fine now. I can't wait tosee my sister's reaction when she meets him for the first time tonight.My niece is going to go ape lol

Tina

So happy to hear our Apollo is back to his normalself.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back