Apollo ate a bug!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellyjade

Reaction score
Lately, crickets have been getting into my room.about10 minutes ago Apollo spotted a big black one andstarted following it around..she followed it for few minutes and Ithought it was cute, but then she caught up to it and just startedmunching on it! :shock:She ate the whole thing in like twoseconds.I just watched with my mouth hanging open... I didn'tknow rabbits would eat bugs! Has anyone ever heard of it before? Is itat allnormal? Is it going to make her sick? :disgust

Well personally I think that she will be justfine. Most times animals know what to eat by instinct. In thewild,rabbits may eat an occasional bug. Why not? Most animalsdo eat insects at one time or another. Dogs eat them, rodents, evenGuinea pigs have been reported to eat bugs. I think she will be fine.

There's no such thing as a perfect vegitarian inanimals. Those plant eaters often accidently or purposelymunch on a bug (usually accidently).

She'll be fine. Although rabbits areherbivores, they are known to occasionally munch on a bug or eatmeat. Crickets will not harm her.

Pam

One thing to be very careful of is that you doNOT spray outside to get rid of any kind of these bugs. Ifthey have been sprayed and survived it and get inside they can makeyour bunny very sick or worse. I say this due tobeing warned by our vet about letting our frogs eat crickets fromoutside. She also told me to watch with the dogs asthey like to eat crickets (EWWW). So just a littleheads up.

Yesterday my cats ate a giant 2 inchgrasshopper. I felt bad for it fluttering it's wings while they werepushing it around and chomping it. :( I wanted to rescue itbut I'm afraid of bugs.:D

Back