Apollo and Sophie go Tuesday to get spayed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellyjade

Reaction score
I found the vet on the rabbit.org list ofveterinarians. His name is Dr. Adam Kubica at Castlerock AnimalHospital, anyone hear anything about him? It's about twenty minutesaway. I drop them off at 8 am and they do an exam first. What do theydo for the exam? Should they do a blood test or is that only for olderrabbits? Apollo is 8 months and Sophie is 7 months. I asked somequestions about how many rabbits they've done and their success rateand the type of anesthetic they use. They didn't give me a number butsaid they never had a problem, and they use isoflurane gas. I askedabout pain meds to take home but they said they haven't used them forrabbits in the past. I asked if I could get some, and they said I couldget Rimadyl. Is that a good drug? They don't have to stay overnight. Ithink they said I could pick them up after 2 pm. How long should ittake for them to recover and start eating and actingnormal? Are they going to hate me for a whileafterward? :(I feel bad about tricking them like this, theyare both acting more happy and trusting than ever. Thanks for readingall this, I am just really worried...

Aww Im sure they will be fine :D It is really un common for it to go wrong.

Ive had four of my rabbits spayed and they havent had any pain medsafter the operation. I think they sorted it all out after thespay at the vets.

I took them in the morning, and bought them home in the afternoon.

I dont know if they are housed together, but I would keep them apartfrom each other for about a week until the wounds heel.Ofcourse they can see each other play times undersupervision.

I remember one of them didnt heel quick enough so I had to put some ointment on the wound but it was all fine.

I wish them luck! Fingers crossed for a safe recovery! They will be fine :D

Aww I hope all goes well for you:goodluck

I know how nervouswe allget when there going in forsomething like this:nod, but I'm sure it will all be fine!:D

I hope your drop off went well this am!

I would ask for pain meds, just in case. you could always have themhandy in case someone appears to be in pain (tooth grinding, not eatingetc). A lot of vets are hesitant to give pain meds and think that theshot they give the rabbits post surgery will last long enough...

Anyway, keep us posted. Im going to move this to the infirmary just in case you have any questions post-spay.

Im praying for your little girls!

Thanks for the replies. They are at the vet'sright now, they are going to call me sometime after 2 to tell me howthey're doing and when I can pick them up. The doctor was hesitant whenI asked about pain meds, I'll ask again when I go to pick them up. Theydo live together, do I really have to separate them? They are bondedand I thought they might help each other heal faster...? I am going tobe so relieved when this is all over. They weigh more than I thought,Apollo is 3.9 lbs and Sophie is 3.7 lbs. Here's a recent pic:

SophieApolloTokyo180.jpg

Im not sure, I was adviced by my vetto seperate them. They could both hurt themselves,like try and mount each other or something, or try and lick each otherswounds.

It might help them heel quicker but I doubt it. I got minedone seperate times like a few weeks after the other due to money.

Are they used to living together? Ifthey are, just leave them together. It's less stressful forthem and they'll probably just cuddle with each other. I leftmy bonded girls together when they were spayed. They werenormally not very cuddly but for a few days after the surgery theyslept together all the time. Just keep an eye on them to makesure they're not misbehaving.

My vet doesn't send home pain meds either. He does give thema shot for pain before they leave, and it lasts for 12-24hours. If the rabbit is still having lots of trouble withpain after that, he wants to see them to make sure nothing is wrong.

yeah, I think you should leave them together if theyre bonded.

Theres something to be said for companionship, especially when yourenot feeling well. I can always tell when one of my boys just hadsurgery how much the other helps out.

As Naturestee said, just keep an eye on them. They should be fine.:pray:

PS...very cute bunnies! their pen is awesome!

They're home! Apollo started eating parsleyright away. :)Sophie hasn't eaten anything yet, but I didn'texpect either of them to eat right away. They are resting in their penright now, I put blankets down to make it more comfotable. For the mostpart they're acting like nothing happened! I got some pain meds but I'mnot sure I'll need it. How long should I keep them confined before Ilet them out to play? The stitches are the dissolving kind, so that'scool. They are really happy to be home. :love

I would keep them in their pen for at least afew days. It looks like they have lots of room in there sothey should be fine. Yuo just dont want them doing any fancyrunning/jumping etc. So its usually safest just to not let them out torun for a few days.

Glad to hear theyre doing well!

Haley wrote:
PS...very cute bunnies! their pen is awesome!

Thanks Haley! They love their pen, especially that little blue chairand the bed under it. :D
I will leave them there for a few days then. They are anxious to get out already. silly bunnies.:D

I'm so glad that your bunnies are doing well! Ihope that they have a quick and relatively pain-free recovery. I'm surethey will be back to doing binkies in no time! (I know Oswald wasacting like a nut the day after I broght him home)

-Amy

Back