anyway to help moma during labor

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onlyham

Reaction score
I have a AMF who was bred june 19. She beganamking a nest wed. (july 14). Today and yestarday she has been (seemingto me anyway) to be working between contractions. She works intentlyand doesn't even stop to look at me when i check on her and bring moredandelion. then she will lay down , pant , and look miserable for aminute. then she lets me pet her and sometimes nibbles a little at whativ brought her. then next time i come by the same thing happens again.Im really worried about how long she can go before the babies and momaare in danger. I thought the fuzzies were suposed to have the abbiesafter 28 days. That would have been sat and she seemed ready then nownow 5 days latter im worried. So my question is how long can she safelygo and is there anything i can do to help?

Welcome onlyham,

If they strain more than an hour, you should see a vet. If Iunderstand correctly, she's been straining for two days.Personally, I think it sounds like something'sgoing onthere.

Once they start contractions and labor, it shouldn't take long beforethe babies start arriving. You might call your vet as askthem.

Rabbits can take up to 31 days in pregnancy. Day 34-35 is pushing it.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

I dont think i would call it straining. She isuncomfortable but she doesnt push. really she's looked uncomforable forthe past few days. it's just this panting thats started yestarday. Idont have a vet locally that deals with rabbits. Im in Weirton,WV.Iread awhile ago that there were things to give the rabbit tohelp. Dandelions and i thought it said some kind of tea but ican't find anything like that now.My newest problem is thatshe wont keep her nest in the nest box. i put it in 3 times now and shejust gets it back out. Im using a wire nest box because it is so hot.Iv been wondering if i should give her the wooden one but im afraid thebabbies will be too hot. Iv read not to leave the babies out of the boxbut im afraid she will just keep getting them out like she has been thenesting. Also is there something other than hay that is safe to let heruse? she has a big clump of fur with hay in it but i would like to giveher something else to work with if i can.

My foster bunny Tank was doing that too. She looked absolutely awful for about a week before she delivered.

The panting started a couple days before, and she built the nest a weekbefore she delivered. She was late too, about 32-33 days. When actuallabor started, she started looking frantic and pulled hair all over theplace. She looked at me all wild like she didn't recognize me. Itlasted a couple hours.

What's an AMF?

Rose

Hi onlyham,

Is there any bleeding or discharge?

The wire/wooden nestbox doesn't really matter, but the mother might bemore comfortable with the wooden one. Don't worry too muchabout the babies getting too hot. The mother will take careof that usually.

Since you mentioned it's really hot there, she might be panting becauseshe's uncomfortable and hot. I'm sure you've madecertain that her cage isn't in the sun, but if not, do soimmediately. I would put a two-liter bottle of frozen waterin the cage with her to help cool her off. In the meantime,while the waterbottle is freezing, you could get a wide-lipped bottle(like a Gatorade bottle or a canning jar) and fill it with ice cubes.Don't put it in the nestbox, just being in the cage will help and ifshe gets heated, she'll go over and lean up against it. Youcould also put ice cubes in her water bowl.

If she's still acting this way tomorrow, write and let us know, but themain thing you could do right now his help to make hercomfortable. Being pregnant in the summer is the pits!

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

>> Being pregnant in the summer is the pits!

NO KIDDING!! hehe

Tank wouldn't stand up for more than a minute or two in her last week.She'd get up, move some hay, eat some food, and flop down again. Youcould almost hear her groan as she lay down. It was getting warmish,but then it happily cooled off the day she had the kits.

About babies being too hot--remember they have no fur and can'tregulate their own body temperature. Usually they like it warm. There'sa constant cycling of kits from the warm bottom of the nest to thelittle "air hole" on top. You can see a gentle "rumbling" of the fur asthey squiggle around trying to get comfortable. When the top ones getcold, they dive down into the bottom of the pile and push the warm onesup.

As they get older, heat may be more of a problem, but we've always usedwooden boxes. I find that babies are more likely to get cold than hotuntil they are about 5 wks. Then their fur fills out more.

Good luck,

Rose

Yes I have American fuzzy lops didnt think tomake that clear earlier sorry. She is not in the sun and i do my bestto keep her cool but you might be right about the heat causing her tolook like she's in labor to. I looked like that the aug my son wasborn:DShe has her nest out again but it's a very good one so would thebabies be ok in it without the box? No blood or anything yet but she issitting in the nest more. I can feel there are babies when she lets mepet her belly but i dont feel them move and that is making me nervoustoo. anybody know anything that would help her through the labor whenit does start hard?

Thanks for all your replies

Tonya

Hi Tonya,

Nature will take care of itself once her labor starts.There's nothing you have to do other than make sure the babies are inthe nest box after they're born if she doesn't have them in there.

She does need a nestbox. She'll work it out as far as fixing the nest.

Sounds like she'll be okay. Just keep an eye on her and let us know how things are going tomorrow. :)

Feel free to reply to any of the posts on the board. We're happy to have you.

-Carolyn

bad news:(I went to the park for aboutan hr when i came back i seen something red in the nest i got aflashlight and found a dead baby. It seems too large for a AFL newborn.I really think she went too long:(Im still hoping to findsome live ones in the morning but i really dont think so. so i have acouple more questions one when should i remove the dead baby if shedoesnt take care of it herself and if they are all dead how soon till ishould breed her again?

oops i just seen why there was some confusion i thought I put AFL and i see i wrote AMl sorry about that

Remove the dead baby immediately.

Watch for other dead ones. Sometimes new moms will eat their firstlitter, or some of them, because they don't know what is happening anda number of other theories. You not feeling movement in her belly atthis time after the first stillborn could be a sign of what's to come.Keep a close eye on her. Don't be afraid to talk to her and be with her.

Rabbits can become pregnant at any time. You can breed a doe again in 8weeks after kindling, but some breeders do it much sooner.The 8 weeks gives her time to regain her strength for the next litter.

-Carolyn

Thanks Bluebird for the clarification. The Doc says the same thing.

"If a doe has lost a litter, it is best to breed her *within* the 3days of the loss (provided she is in good condition) as this is whenshe is most receptive. Nature has provided for the rabbit tobe a "production machine" during the spring/summer months and providesoptimaltime management for production by a hormone boost thatserves as a catalyst for the doe to mate ASAP after giving birth.-Pamnock"

-Carolyn

How did your rabbit make out with her babies ?Was she able to give birth to any live ones ? I know our rabbits firstlitter all died. Her second litter she gave birth to eight and sixsurvived. The first one was born dead a few hours before she gave birthto the next six and then she had one more stillborn the following day.

Just curious as to how you made out.

Carolyn J

onlyham wrote:
Dandelions and i thought it said some kind of teabut i can't find anything like that now.
A day before any of my does are due I make up a cup of rasberry tea andthen a second cup of rasberry tea thats a weaker soultion. Ithen give the doe rasberry tea instead of water. Boy to mygirls love it! If the doe is in serious stress I give her the strongercup of rasberry tea. It works wonders! I had a doe with a stuck kitwhich i couldn't get out so i pulled out the rasberry tea.About 20 mins after i saw her drinking there was a kit on thewire. The rasberry tea seems to relax their muscles and itall just flows out. Since I've started giving rasberry tea on day 30(or 29 depends what doe it is as i have one who pops on day 30) Ihaven't had any problems with does delivering.

Latest posts

Back