Anyway to get Keehani to stop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttrkyra

Reaction score
For the past day or so, Keehani has been lying inher litterbox. And she won't sleep anywhere else. I'm not sure what todo. Is there some way to get her to stop? Or should I just take thelitterbox out all together?

Oh noI dont think you needtotake away her litter box( just an idea) I bettheres less poo on the ground with her/his love affair with the litterbox. Maybe change it more often. So is he gettinghimself overly dirty? where does he sleep most of the time? Ithink that sound sooo cute( sleeping in the litter box, how funny dothese Rabbits get, lol). Is he just spending to much time inthe litter box and its concerning you?

Peter

i'd think as long as she's not getting wet fromlaying in it, and it's a fairly clean litter box and she's not gettingsoiled from it, no harm done. one of my buns will lay in the litter boxevery now and then.. but they both only pee in a corner, so the rest ofthe litter box is fairly dry.

A lot of rabbits like to "hang out" in their litter boxes. My rabbits actually sit in it to eat.

I doubt there's much you can do to stop it. Just make sure you keep it nice and clean for her.

Well, I can tell you what I did for myrabbit. Granted, there are other people here that are more"seasoned" and/or have more longevity here, but...

I purchased a rubbermaid bin for my rabbit. He knows it's hisbeddy bye and he loves it. I am very lucky he is good aboutnot chewing his "blankies" which is a piece of fleece and an old softtshirt of my daughter's. He licks and chins them to deathwhen they've recently been washed.

Anyhow, you could put straw or hay in a bin like this.. it might notstop it, but it might curb the need to hang out in thelitterpan.

This is similar to the shape of the bin I have, but mine is vented with holes all over it.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/178410R_med.gif

If you can figure it out, let me know.Miss Basil sits in hers all the time, but she kicks all the litter outfirst and refuses to actually use the litter box for its designatedpurpose. LOL

Jen

Thats right most rabbits that live inside arejust as vain as most of us. Theytinkle in acornerso most of the litter is dryand if she doesnot tinkle in one cornerjust change it more often.I think the litter pan should most definitely stay:D I betyour bun thinks so as well(lol, hahaha)

Peter

Stephanie wrote:
Alot of rabbits like to "hang out" in their litter boxes. My rabbitsactually sit in it to eat.

I doubt there's much you can do to stop it. Just make sure you keep it nice and clean for her.

Thats right, to help train Faye when she was little I put hay in one ofthe corners( and its never changed). I still put hay in thesame very corn to this very day( I dont think she would have it anyother way)

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I purchased a rubbermaid bin for my rabbit. He knows it's hisbeddy bye and he loves it. I am very lucky he is good aboutnot chewing his "blankies" which is a piece of fleece and an old softtshirt of my daughter's. He licks and chins them to deathwhen they've recently been washed.

what a wonderful idea Bo B Bunny, I love it (Faye many be getting a present very soon)

Here's a pic of him in his bed so you cansee. I tried to find it elsewhere as I know I posted it herebut I couldn't find the thread.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I am very lucky he is good about not chewing his "blankies"which is a piece of fleece and an old soft tshirt of mydaughter's. He licks and chins them to death when they'verecently been washed.

This is similar to the shape of the bin I have, but mine is vented with holes all over it.

All of our buns have their "blankies", too.

We use baby blankets cut to the specifications indicated by ourbuns...as in "Not big enuf daddie!!". Cut..cut..cut.."OK now, bunnie??"

It's amazing that none of them eat or soil them. They love them to heckand groom them a lot. That's usually where they end up chillin', too.S'more and MooShu very often pull them into their hutches so they cansleep with them. They all roll, dig, paw, and rearrange themconstantly. Benji is the funniest. He's like a WWF match with it andthen all of a sudden he's very gently pawing it into just the rightposition....and then FLOP!!

When we first got Benji, he would sleep and hang out in his litter panso we got rid of it, thinking that there was something wrong. We justreintroduced the litter pan and all he uses it for is to do hisbusiness. Sometimes I catch him just hangin' out in it, but nothinglike before. Now he uses his beloved blankie to rest on. We did have to"tie" his litter pan down, because he would just move it and pee orpoop in the corner.

And he hates it when I change his pan. He'll jump in it and oink/grunt,nip, charge, until I finally get it cleaned and replaced. I try to getsomeone to distract him while I change it.

S'more will wait until I take her pan out and then she runs to thecorner really fast and pees. Other than that she's pretty good with herlitter habits.

I think a lot of buns will use their litter areas as aterritorial/comfort thing. My buns that are not litter trained willoften lounge on the wire bottonm over the corner that they use torelieve themselves.

And I was looking for another idea for pans. I ran the pet store out ofstock and they were too expensive anyway. The Rubbermaid bin might justwork. Thanks for the idea!! ;)

Jim

Jim I hope it works. You can find really inexpensive ones too.

Lucky for me, Bo doesn't chew his beddy bye either! He's just so goodabout some things! and such a booger about others! :X

:p

Bo does the WWF thing with the fuzzy tshirt hehas... and now and again he'll end up INSIDE the thing. Itused to be my daughter's so it's pretty small and he just laysthere.....

Latest posts

Back