Anyone with dogs pleaaaseee check this for me and reply...very bizarre

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcottonl02

Reaction score
I have 7 dogs- one of them is a cute little fox-like yorkie called Lucy (excuse for showing off with picture)

P1010265.jpg

She is the one on the far right :)

Anyway. So I was playing with her feet earlier, and I realised she had 5 toes on her front and back paws. But the two little dew claws on her back feet are weird and seem to have no bone in them. I checked with all SIX of our other dogs and they only had 4 toes on their back paws!!!

It is so strange!! She is the ONLY one with 5 toes on her two back feet.

Can you guys check your dogs and see how many toes they have? It's just crazy!!! Anyone else have a dog with 5 toes on their back paws???? Lol. We were in hysterics because my sister's boyfriend doesn't like Lucy because she's a little strange sometimes and needs lots of attention and he finds her a bit irritating lol but we all love her to bits in spite of her slight strangeness and grumpiness for no reason. So he calls her the spawn of satan.
And...well....isn't having extra fingers and toes supposed to be signs of the devil lol? So he was all smug haha.

Jen

Dogs are only supposed to have 4 toes on their back paws genetically speaking. I think that just makes her special xD

And i find this ironic because i have a cat named Lucy and we LITERALLY WORD FOR WORD call her the spawn of satan because she is mean... she cornered a pit bull in my bathroom and my friends refuse to go near her. She has made a girl cry by sitting in her lap before. We also call her LucyFUR

OMG we call ours lucyifer!!!!!!!! HAHAHA.

Yeah well that's what I thought too! I had never thought about it before...different number of toes on front and back paws....but it is just so strange.

I think it makes her special too. But someone else MUST have a dog with extra toes lol??

Jen

Lol hahaha this is so weird....

It's obviously not genetic because her puppies have all had 4 toes on the back too. It must just be some random mutation...... :/

Jen

Well it probably is genetic, just not dominant.
There are, for example, many polydactyl cats with extra toes that I've seen.
The dew claws feeling like they have no bone in them is normal. Many people have the back dew claws removed from puppies because they can easily get caught on things and tear out.

this journal post talks about it a bit.
http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/content/29/4/145.extract

How interesting missyscove! Yeah I guess that makes sense it could be recessive. I didn't even think of that. I did find genetics so so confusing in biology.
That's so true!!! Lucy caught one of her back dew claws and ripped it off and it has slightly grown back now but not fully. Bless her.

Jen

pherber12 wrote:
My neighbour's dog has 5 toes on her front and her back paws.
WAHHOOOOOOOO lol!!!! Finally one person. Keep them coming lol. What breed is her dog, do you know?

Jen

my Jazzerbear (Welsh Corgi) had 5 toes in back and one of them was the dewclaw without a bone in it..it just flopped around...hehe..they do say to remove it surgically cuz it can get caught on things and rip ..but my Jazz lived to be 16 1/2 and had no probs with it..but it was funny when she ran cuz it just flopped all over the place..:)...cute pups by the way..:) they are very photogenic..:)

Some breeds of dogs (yorkies included) are genetically prone to rear dewclaws. When a dog that is not designed to have a fifth toe on the rear foot has one it often times won't have a bone, sometimes there is a bit of cartilage in there though. Most breeders will have dewclaws removed off of such dogs. As long as it is not causing a problem there is no need to worry. Cute pups by the way!

Back