Anyone Willing to Stud out a Male Lionhead or Cross Near Allentown, PA?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stina

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone in rabbits does this, or would be willing to do so...but I have a sweet little castor mini rex doe, Killian,and would love to try for some rex lionheads. I am not ready to actually have a buck though...so I was wondering if anyone in the area would be willing to just stud out a buck. I have only 3 rabbits...they have not been exposed to any other rabbits since I got them.Killian is about 6 months old and very healthy! I have never had any problems with any of them. I have never bred rabbits before...however I have bred mice for about 5 years and leopard geckos for about 6....so I am aware of the risks and repercussions associated with breeding. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone in the area who would be willing to try this with me would please let me know! Thank you!

Out of that cross, you would simply get lionheads with poor type and very weak manes.

It takes years and several generations of rabbits to produce what you're looking for.

I've seen their site...and they are not near me, nor could I find anyone who has them thatis. I know what a first generation cross would produce... a 1st generation maned buck crossed back to Killian would theoretically produce 25% maned rexes, 25% rexes, 25% maned, 25% "normal." I actually don't particularly like the type of true lionheads...I prefer a longer faced rabbit, so the crosses even without the rex would be more appealing to me than a purebred lionhead.

You will not find a reputable breeder willing to stud, to begin with. And you will certainly not find a reputable breeder willing to sacrifice their hard work through breeding to create a poor quality mixed breed rabbit.

I'm not telling you this to offend you, but only to hopefully steer you away from trying to find a stud. Again, reputable breeders will not do this. So be very wary of anyone who agrees, for the safety of your rabbits!:)

Mixing and crossing rabbits is your choice, but if you choose to do it, I'd suggest personally owning the buck and the doe. If you're not ready for that responsibility, it's probably best to wait to breed anyway until you can.:)

Not to mention if you aren't ready to own a buck- where will you house and own kits who will be does and bucks? If homes can't be found right away, what will happen to your bucks?
LionHead breeders are striving so hard to get recognized as a breed by ARBA. I hate to see their process made even slower and the progresss they've made be jeopardized by all these lionhead crosses. I am not certain this is possible but my thoughts are that it could be. I would think, as Oakridge said, that most reputable breeders wouldn't stud out their LionHead bucks to have cross babies. Correct me if I am wrong/incorrect etc (above).

It seems everyone is in on this new fad of mixing purebred animals and making the next new exciting thing- Bugs (Pug/Bostom Terrier mixes), Puggles, Shih-Poos....LionLops... etc..

As I said in my first post, I wasn't sure if anyone would be willing to it or not. People don't generally do it with the other species I work with except under certain circumstances(and I have never done it myself either). I just figured it couldn't hurt to ask. I am also well aware of the risks associate with not quarantining an animal before exposing it to others.

I'm ready for the responsibility of owning anything......I just don't really want a buck just yet. We currently have a dog, are getting a puppy August 8th, a cat, 8 rats, lots of mice, ~20 leopard geckos, 3 rabbits, a ribbon snake, 7 fish tanks, 7 chickens, and 3 ducks. I havea degree in animal sciences and went to vet school for a year (before deciding i hated school too much to go back).......We are perfectly capable of caring for our animals and providing them a wonderful home!

I don't know about crosses doing damage to the breed's reputation when you can already get lionheads and lionhead crosses at pet stores all over the place.... I don't want to do this to cause damage to the breed or anything...I just love the idea of a super soft, maned bunny and can't find any local breeders. I have space for the offspring if I cannot find them homes right away. I don't want to create something "new and exciting;"I want to do it for myself.

btw I am NOT a fan of the "designer breed" dogs......I have no major problems with the crosses themsleves...but I do have a problem with them being heralded as healthier and all the hypoallergenic crap and the ridiculous prices.

Sorry to change the subject here, but I noticed you said you bred Leopard Geckos? I've got 3 right now and I'm working on the space to get another female. I have 2 females and one male, I want to breed but the male is a Tang. His father is a Engima. So I want to find another female that is a Engima (affordable! hahaha) to breed them two together. My other 2 females are normals but are from Petsmart. Sorry I just had to say it's hard to find someone else with Leos! haha

There's actually people with leos all over the place...lol I do not have any enigma females. Is your male an enigma?...or just from enigmas? Enigma is a dominant gene, so you do not need another enigma to breed him to if he is. Its also been suggested that homozygous enigmas do not survive so many will not breed enigmas to one-another.

Try going to www.geckoforums.net. Lots of breeders on there :)

He's labled as a Tang het Bell. (had to find my folder I had EVERYTHING to breed but am waiting till some room and tanks open up.) My Boogie is a year now. I'd post pictures but I dunno if I can here. I think i'm a member of that site already but there was to many kids at one point that I stopped going.. Or I lost the address.. haha But yeah I'll check it out and join. I'll PM you my screen name and all from here.

I'm so excited to be talkign about them again! hahahaha Haven't found anyone to talk about them with.. yahoo groups everything! haha

Stina wrote:
I don't know about crosses doing damage to the breed's reputation when you can already get lionheads and lionhead crosses at pet stores all over the place....
This is because Lionheads are a developing breed in the United States and are not yet recognized by the American Rabbit Breeder's Assoiation. Originally, there were several breeders who went in on an import of Lionheads from overseas, around 10 years ago. Since then, they have been crossed with several recognized breeds to bring in the specific type and fur quality of the working standard in the U.S. Through this development process, breeders have tons of culls. Because of this, Lionheads have become a popular pet breed.

No one is saying that you have intentions of ruining the breed. But reputable, dedicated Lionhead breeders are working very hard on their breed in order to present it at National ARBA Conventions in hopes of having their breed recognized. It would be (unintentionally) rude to ask to use a product of their hard work to create mixed breeds. Mix breeding just for the heck of it is irresponsible and gives reputable breeders a bad name. The goal of breeding is to better the temperament and health of each individual breed and to create pedigreed rabbits. Not because having a pedigree guarantees quality, but because a pedigree maintains a history behind each rabbit. You can look at that and know exactly where the rabbit came from. There are many reasons to breed beyond this, but that is why mixing breeds is not considered a responsible act.

Breeders create enough pet rabbits as it is, because even through specific, planned crosses, not all the offspring end up as fantastic representations of their breed. So I do not support mix breeding without a goal. If you would like to breed, I would suggest choosing an already existing breed or working with purebred Lionheads. You will see much more success and more support than you will now with this endeavor. It is a current trend to try and "rexify" everything...and reputable breeders are fed up with it, as it misrepresents us as people who indiscriminantly breed any two rabbits together. I'm not telling you not to do anything, but I do suggest that you reconsider your reasons for creating another unreconized breed.

So I do not support mix breeding without a goal. If you would like to breed, I would suggest choosing an already existing breed or working with purebred Lionheads. You will see much more success and more support than you will now with this endeavor. It is a current trend to try and "rexify" everything...and reputable breeders are fed up with it, as it misrepresents us as people who indiscriminantly breed any two rabbits together. I'm not telling you not to do anything, but I do suggest that you reconsider your reasons for creating another unreconized breed.
I have a goal...and its not to "create another unrecognized breed" to try to spread around.....its to create something for myself, that I am interested in. I do not want purebred lionheads...I do not like their type. I want rexes with a mane....I can't find any near me, so why shouldn't I breed my own?

Great link, I've never seen velvet lions before, I think their neat looking. I personally don't have a problem with crossing breeds to create something new, rabbits are so plastic genetically, and I like seeing new breeds being developed. When I was a youth breeder there wasn't any Mini Rex, now their one of the most popular breeds, and really great little rabbits for those who do not want a full size Rex. Stina there is a show coming up early September down in Wrightstown, Bucks County, you may be able to find someone who will work with you. You probably should buy your own buck, and of course try to start with the best possible rabbits that you can. I'd be very curious to see how this goes for you, genetics fascinate me.

SweetSassy wrote:
Erins Rabbits wrote:
http://www.freewebs.com/lilysrabbitholewarren/ourvelvetlions.htm

This a rexified Lionhead. I'm not fond of them, but to each thier own, I guess. It would be easier, better, for you to just buy a few and breed.
I checked out this website and I think the bunnies are cute :)I have no opinions or judgements. just thought they were cute.
I think there really cute, And like how they have put so much effort into there work.

Stina wrote:
So I do not support mix breeding without a goal. If you would like to breed, I would suggest choosing an already existing breed or working with purebred Lionheads. You will see much more success and more support than you will now with this endeavor. It is a current trend to try and "rexify" everything...and reputable breeders are fed up with it, as it misrepresents us as people who indiscriminantly breed any two rabbits together. I'm not telling you not to do anything, but I do suggest that you reconsider your reasons for creating another unreconized breed.
I have a goal...and its not to "create another unrecognized breed" to try to spread around.....its to create something for myself, that I am interested in. I do not want purebred lionheads...I do not like their type. I want rexes with a mane....I can't find any near me, so why shouldn't I breed my own?

Because, as we mentioned, it takes more than one generation to produce the kind of rabbit you're describing. Therefore, you'd be producing a lot of rabbits just to make the one or two pets you want to keep. That circles back around to overpopulation and the dangers of crossbreeding.;)If you just like that type of cross, I'm sure you can arrange transport to one or find one near your area looking for a home. There's no need to create more mixed breed animals.

Perhaps you could ask on a breeders site if anyone has or knows of this breed and whether they can do a transport link across the country for you. I dont know any of the american breeders sites but perhaps some of the american breeders can help you out with some links :)

Latest posts

Back