Anyone Use Probiotics?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClarBun

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to see if anyone has used or regularly uses probiotics for their buns and if so, which brands are best.

Mine has been on antibiotics for quite some time and just had surgery so I want to give him to good belly bacteria to help balance out his system and help with his recovery. I've also heard that probiotics might be helpful with bacterial infections such as snuffles, anyone heard this?

Thanks

I use benebac for bunnies that are new or are coming off surgery or any type of illness. I have no way of knowing if it works, but I have also heard of it being beneficial so I use it regardless, and none of my buns or fosters have had any issues with gut flora.

Benebac is a probiotic for small animals. You can usually find it at a pet store or online, and sometimes at a feed store. We use it when a rabbit is on antibiotics that affect the gut, and we'll use it if a rabbit is under stress, like when we go to shows.

I thought about using probiotics on Aki when she had several bouts of stasis earlier this year. I then read several recent studies showing that actually orally administered probiotics (and prebiotics) had no effect whatsoever on bunnies. From what I've read the 'good bacteries' contained in those are instantly destroyed by the acid contained in the stomach. It's apparently a defense mecanism against foreign bacteries. The studies showed that the only efficient probiotic is actually... cecotrophes, considering that it passes through the stomach intact. The products like benebac, intestinet, bifidus, fibreplex, biolapis... seem to mostly be a marketing stunt playing on the 'stasis fear' preying on most rabbit owners.
So, I don't think it would harm you bunny but I think investing in a bag of really good organic hay that he will eat a lot of to make his guts work and renew the flora would actually be more beneficial than probiotics.

I thought about using probiotics on Aki when she had several bouts of stasis earlier this year. I then read several recent studies showing that actually orally administered probiotics (and prebiotics) had no effect whatsoever on bunnies. From what I've read the 'good bacteries' contained in those are instantly destroyed by the acid contained in the stomach. It's apparently a defense mecanism against foreign bacteries. The studies showed that the only efficient probiotic is actually... cecotrophes, considering that it passes through the stomach intact. The products like benebac, intestinet, bifidus, fibreplex, biolapis... seem to mostly be a marketing stunt playing on the 'stasis fear' preying on most rabbit owners.
So, I don't think it would harm you bunny but I think investing in a bag of really good organic hay that he will eat a lot of to make his guts work and renew the flora would actually be more beneficial than probiotics.

This!

Same goes for those digestive support tabs and enzymes and pineapple and papaya and all that jazz. The reason you're feeding it does not survive the stomach acids.

I have done no research about rabbit probiotics, but they work WONDERS in cats and dogs. They can even reduce the duration and severity of herpes flare ups in kitties!:laughsmiley:

I still believe that it can do some good and certainly can't hurt. This is based on what I've read on MediRabbit and the Merck Veterinary Manual, and from my own experience.

Back