Anyone use Oat Hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaf

Reaction score
When I was making my appointment at the vet office yesterday I say a few bags of Oat Hay for sale, but forgot to ask about them.

Does anyone buy this, or have input about it? I know I asked about hay recently - I'm mainly using timothy, but now have added alfalfa - and was eyeing the oat..

I'm not sure if I should buy some tomorrow or not. Any suggestions?

I'd say buy a bag and see how they like it. It's safe for them, good like timothy hay.

Mine got a bit tired of it but Tony likes it. Our guinea pig LOVED it.

We use that and Orchard Grass occasionally just to give them something different.

Mine hate Brome.

ARG! Don't say guinea pig around me!

I LOVE those critters and at one time had 13. April will mark one full year of me not having a guinea pig since I was 7 years old - and I'll turn 32 in February.

I think I will buy a bag of it tomorrow. I probably would have gotten some yesterday but it was WAY up high on a shelf that I couldnt reach.

:eek:hwell:

Our buns LOVE oat hay- it's just hard to find in good quality over here. It goes in minutes though when we do get it...

I ordered a bag of the Oxbow stuff from a UK site (not realising it was Oxbow), and half the bag just seemed to be dust, and Chalk sneezed like a goodun until I took it out! :(

Oat Hay goes like hotcakes over here. Misty and Charlie love it the best. If I put any down, Misty will physically push Charlie out of the way so he can't get to it and she can have it all.

;)

Nadia

Hi,

Oat hay is well liked around here. It is a huge benefit for buns that are trying to go into stasis or for those that have ongoing gut issues. You will notice a difference in the texture and color of their poops if you feed a lot of oat hay. Good stuff....but much more messy than the other grass hays. They really like the seed heads.

Randy

ra7751 wrote:
They really like the seed heads.

Randy

Yeah, that is the only problem I have - they will waste a lot of the straw bits and just eat all the seed heads.

Oat hay is all i can buy my bunnies here,again we do not have timothy so oat hay is the next best thing...my bunnies love it and since finding the best freshest and sweetest smelling oat hay my bunnies actually eat the whole lot of it now,where as before with the other oat hay,they would mainly just eat the seeds and a few strands...so i'm very happy :)

Cheryl

Oh yes...oat hay is all the rage over here, too. We bought about four different types of hay for the buns to try out, and that was the one that went the fastest, hehe!

We bought Oxbow, but I know you can also order it from BunnyLuv at www.bunnyluv.com I really love their oat hay...nice and green!! :D

..i have heard of oat grasses/hay,but would have to special order it,.common hays here(seattle-wa.) are orchard and timothy,..if oat is as good as indicated i shall have to endeaver,sincerely james waller

Latest posts

Back