ANYONE OWN FLEMISH GIANTS?????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephyda

Reaction score
I am doing tons and tons of research....on this breed... I am not going to get one until I am cofident,,, and know all I can about them.... Does anyone have anything they can share that I would need to know.... He or she will be inside with some time to play outside... How much do they need to eat??? What have you found that works??? Toys... anything anyone can share about there giants would be great... thanks in advance...

I can think of at least one or two people who will respond to this, but you might also want to use the seacrh function on the forum to search for info about them on here because that will probably bring up some good, relevant threads.

I had a beautiful Flemmie boy named Teeny (named after the wonderful Tiny), and he was so amazing. He was gorgeous, truly unique, and a card and a half!!

I would say...they're an amazing breed, most of them being really relaxed and fun bunnies...with the one drawback being that they typically don't live as long as other breeds. From the research I've done and the people I've talked to, you'd be looking at about five years. Their hearts are sensitive (both literal, physical hearts, and metaphoric hearts), so be aware that not only are they physically sensitive, but mentally as well. They need an incredibly stable environment (they don't respond well to changes or moving), and if you ever get mad at them, they take it hard because they're just really sensitive. They're very "human" bunnies.

BUT...the time you have with them is truly wonderful. I only had Teeny for less than a year, and he'd barely (as in, about a week) turned one year of age when he passed, but that's early for most. (I think Teeny had been a product of bad breeding, personally.) I am so thankful I brought that big ol' boy home. He was a really amazing bun, and such a great friend to have. He cuddled like no one else, and loved with his whole heart...and those eyes had so much to say! :) Though I miss him like mad (lost him 10 Nov), I wouldn't trade that time I had with him for anything, and I don't regret one moment of it!!

So, while the time may be short...that time is really treasured and WORTH IT. I would recommend a Flemish Giant ANY DAY. :D

Here are a couple pictures of my baby boy:

100_2397.jpg

100_2393.jpg

And who could forget Super Teeny??

SUPERTEENY1-1.jpg

Im so sorry to hear that... I dont want to have to go through that... Once you get attached its hard... Anyway thanks for your story... Just makes me want one more... not to mention that that is the color I want the Fawn... thanks again

I miss Teeny so much....he made me smile.

I had Tiny and I now have Zeus. Tiny lived to be a bit over 3 and he had a urinary tract infection that we think we didn't catch in time - of course there might have been other issues too.

However - I'll accept the pain of his loss knowing that I had almost 1000 days with him bringing joy to my life.

Tiny didn't really have much for toys. I think he had some baby key rings or something (like for teething toddlers). As he got older - he didn't need much for toys - although he loved to shred catalogs.

You can read about many of his exploits (some told from his perspective) ... at the link below:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11397&forum_id=28

I have a flemie boy, Ludo. He is almost a year old. He acts sort of like a puppy dog. He is always following me around. He jumps up on the side of his run when I get home from work. His is very nosey, has to check everything out. He is very sensitive to the heat, even more so than my other buns.

We currently have 4 Flemmies: Sweetie, Titan, Thumper, and Velvet.Wehave also owned two others:

One, Barney,died when he was 2 years old because hehad a lot of health issues. The other, Lily,was his mate. She died 2 months later. Though it's possible that she caught what he had, she never acted sick. She was just never the same after her man passed away. It is entirely possible that she died of a broken heart. :cry2. They have such a capacity to love - other buns, and their humans.

They have personalities as giant as their bodies. I'm glad to hear that you are considering letting the bun be a free-roamer in your home. Flemmies are perfect for that, and it does help fulfill that Large need for excercising their Large bodies. Ours have no interest in electrical cords, which would normally be a major issue for any free roamer bun, and theydon't seem to play with their toys as much as our smaller buns do.

We have several Flemmies. They are probably my favorite breed. They are big gentle giants for the most part. Our oldest girl, Fortune will sleep on my lap in our easy chair for HOURS. It never ceases to amaze me how long she'll just lie there. All of our Flemmies love their free roam time they definitely needs lots of space and exercise.

Ours LOVE their hay. They get pellets, lots of fresh veggies and some fruit, but they definitely eat more hay than any of our other rabbits and they get more excited about it than anything else. Ours love their toys, mostly they love ripping stuff up so papertowel rolls, etc. Like Wabbitmom said ours have not shown any interest in electrical cords - although you'll have to watch. But in general they get up to less mischief than our others do.

They are wonderful loving, run rabbits. Ours love their outside time... and our dogs.

I also have a "few" Flemish Giants.... they are absolutely my favorite breed. Once you have been loved by a Flemish, no other bunny love will do...

Yes, they can have a shorter lifespan than smaller breeds. That being said, our McGyver (Sandy buck) lived until he was 7 1/2 years old. I've lost them too young as well, and lost a piece of my heart witheach one.... but they have always been unconditional in their love and affection.

They do need a "little" more room than your average rabbit... and you have to be very aware of thir diet as they grow... As juniors, I think they need a higher amount of protein and calcium to make sure their bones grow strong enough to support their adult weight. (Protein can be reduced when they are 10-12 months old.)

They love toys and tend to be playful, but they each have their individual personality... Flemish Giants make great companion bunnies, if you have the room.

I miss my Samantha. :nerves1There is nothing like holding such a massive bunny. I think one of the things I miss the most was her weight in my arms. Also her stomping. It was LOUD.

JadeIcing wrote:
I miss my Samantha. :nerves1There is nothing like holding such a massive bunny. I think one of the things I miss the most was her weight in my arms. Also her stomping. It was LOUD.
Oh my gosh, do I concur. Teeny's thumps were thunderous. In fact, we called him Thunder Thighs. :D

Compared to other buns, Flemmie thumps are LOUD! :D

maherwoman wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:
Oh my gosh, do I concur. Teeny's thumps were thunderous. In fact, we called him Thunder Thighs. :D

Compared to other buns, Flemmie thumps are LOUD! :D

I just found a disposable cam and on it only two pictures printed. One was of Sam. I didn't know I had it. It shows her size! I am so giddy. I know it is just one picture but it is my Sam! Next month it is two years. Thats it I am crying again.

Oh wow, Hun...that's awful. In posting those above pics of Teeny, I was bawling all over again when I got home. I'm just...angry...in general about it. Still going through my loss and grieving to a large degree.

One day at a time...I keep reminding myself.

Flemish are my absolutely favorite breed! They are truely gentle giants, my light gray flemish Lilly would follow me around every morning making sure I was doing things right, she would also lay on my lap or next to me and watch Star Trek and the history channel, she also never complained about me flipping channels, what a woman.

I digress. They do require more room then your average size bun. My flemish like to shred stuff more then play with toys, phone books, staw mats etc. Once you hold one you will be in love!

Latest posts

Back