Anyone know the dimensions of 25lbs of hay from Oxbow?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myLoki

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am SOOOOO tired of paying a ridiculous amount of money for hay from Petsmart so I'm going to try to order online. I've looked around at local farmers but I can't find anything other than timothy or coastal. I am allergic to both! The only hay that doesn't drive me up the wall is Orchard grass. I've been wanting to try brome but it always looks so ugly at the store that I don't buy it. The bunnies really like the Orchard grass so I don't feel too bad about depriving them.

I'm going to order from Oxbow, but I was wondering what the dimensions were for 25lbs because I have limited space to store it. If it's too big, I'll order the smaller 9lbs but I want to get enough bang for my buck so I'd prefer the 25lbs. What about the 50lbs? Too big?

Input is very appreciated!

t.

This is a guesstimate, since I'm at work, but my 25lb box is probably18" tall, 2' deep, and 3.5' long? Maybe?

I had a question about Oxbow pellet shelf life and they responded very quickly.

[email protected]

You may want to just send them a quick note and ask. They were VERY helpful. I don't know about Orchard Grass, but you may also want to check out Kleenmama's Hay loft if you are having it shipped. Another thing I found out when I contacted Oxbow is that if they have a store in your area that carries their products you can have them special order from Oxbow for you and not pay the shipping. That's what I do now.

I checked Kleenmama's because I've read such raving reviews lately about them. THe only problem was that they don't have Orchard Grass. Since I'm confirmed allergic to Timothy and Coastal the only option left with Kleenmama's is the Bluegrass. I don't know if the bunnies will like it or if I'll be allergic to it. I don't know if I want to risk it.

But then again, Lily has never met hay she hasn't liked and devoured. Loki has never been much for hay anyway so I don't think he'll mind. *sigh* I dunno anymore!

t.

ooooo I just noticed that their Bluegrass is a bluegrass/orchard grass hybrid. Basically, and equivalent to orchard grass. I think I'm going to go with Kleenmama's.

Now can anyone give me dimensions? hehe. I think I'm ordering from them! YAY!:biggrin2:

t.

You're probably right. I've read great things about their Customer Service. :) I love to give my business to good people.

t.

slavetoabunny wrote:
I'll bet that Kleenmama's will send you a sample if you ask.

myLoki wrote:
ooooo I just noticed that their Bluegrass is a bluegrass/orchard grass hybrid. Basically, and equivalent to orchard grass. I think I'm going to go with Kleenmama's.

Now can anyone give me dimensions? hehe. I think I'm ordering from them! YAY!:biggrin2:

t.

My 25 lb. box is from APD, but the dimensions should be similar:

23"L x 19"W x 15"H

Hope that helps!

Kleenmama Bluegrass is so much nicer than Oxbow Orchard. And its an orchard grass so it should be ok for you. I have a 40# box and its only maybe a few feet tall and a few feet wide. Its amazing how much they pack into those boxes!

I highly recommend Kleenmama!

T, I thought I should mention that Leith Petwerks has their Oxbow Orchard on Clearance- 50# is only $15! Shipping will still be pricey but its a steal on the Oxbow..

Thanks, Haley. :) I just checked it out and it comes out to a little over 80 dollars and that's a little too rich for my blood right now. In about two months I'll be able to afford more hay at a time. Till then my poor vagabond bunnies will have to make do with the 25lbs I'm ordering tomorrow. hehe! :biggrin2:

t.

Haley wrote:
T, I thought I should mention that Leith Petwerks has their Oxbow Orchard on Clearance- 50# is only $15! Shipping will still be pricey but its a steal on the Oxbow..

Has anyone ordered timothy hay from Oxbow in the last month? What would you say on texture or quality? Is it dusty?

Input : Kleenmama's Hayloft and Linda Clark-Lee have always provided our rescue and sanctuary buns with excellent customer service, and product. Service is amazing. Bluegrass is on order, and our disabled girls gobble down and love Kleenmama's 3rd cut timothy (available in October?). The shipping can be expensive, no doubt about it!! OTOH, the farmer's bales I have been purchasing and mixing in with Kleenmama's are orchard grass, fragrantly green & brown and they contain strands of alfalfa.
This past week chinchilla-colored 7 lb. Sylvia underwent bladder stone surgery. :(
She is on no pellets, hay and low-calcium greens. So extracting alfalfa strands is a project to tackle yet our vet reassured us that a few strands of alfalfa for the rest of the household should not "earmark" them for bladder stones. Plus 2 friends buy from this farmer routinely and their kids have not developed stones.

Oxbow and UPS delivered a 25# box of orchard grass to WI in 3 days. Strands are thin and green, and the crew is acclimating.

Q. Have you guys ordered Oxbow timothy recently to comment? I am hesitant to order if it's coming through dusty-like.

slavetoabunny, I did check out APD prices too. Good Hay is a goldmine. Even though shipping is twice the amount of hay box price, it saves tremendously to have the quantity on hand, delivered to doorstep. And ordering online is more economical than 40 oz./96 oz. store bags.

Hope the input helps, Oxbow timothy... yes / no?

I havent gotten any Oxbow in a while. I wasnt too happy with a bulk shipment I got a while back (it was nice, but definitely not as nice as Kleenmama). I ordered some from Farmer Dave a while back and it was decent. The bunnies love it. I think theyre out of everything but 1st cut right now.

http://www.farmerdave.biz/servlet/the-PET-SUPPLIES/Categories

I do the same thing you do, Julie. I buy 50# boxes of Kleenmama and then mix it in with local hay and the buns love it!

I got a 25 pound box of Oxbow Timothy about 4 weeks ago and it's fine. The distributor is in Michigan. My vet clinic gets it in and it costs a little less.

I got APD timothy gold, super fiber timothy and mountain grass in at the same time and it's fantastic.

I saw some 1st cut Farmer Dave's hay today that Bunnylady2 got. I would have never guessed it was 1st cut. It was mixed with some orchard hay and was very green and leafy. Smelled great too.

I just ordered 45 lbs. of Kleenmama's for the shelter. It is supposed to be delivered Tuesday. I'm anxious to see it. I agree that Linda is the best. If I like the look of the Kleenmama's I may shift over to them from APD. They are much more economical and with the fosters now in addition to Sparky and Scooter, I'm going through hay, pellets, and litter at an alarming rate!

Patti, Im assuming your Kleenmama hay is just the bluegrass since I think they are out of timothy at the moment. The bluegrass is awesome but Ive heard some picky bunnies wont eat it because its not very stemy (its very soft and leafy sort of). So try a little with your buns but if theydont chow down right away it could just be bc its a bit softer than most timothy hays. I get a mix of the two and the buns go nuts for it!

Hey everyone -
since getting the food or hay shipped is a major cost factor, make sure you shop around for shipping costs too!

For example, here is my comparison chart for shipping to Michigan (for pellets). You would be amazed at the price differences!

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pDpdwkUAcYA9YOB7z8RVMGA

For 2 10lb bags of Oxbow Bunny Basic T with shipping I found that the price could range from $27.57 ro $53.74 -- Thats a huge difference!!

Back