Anyone know of any pet insurance that covers Rabbits in the US?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VPI (petinsurance.com) does. It's about $12/mo for each rabbit, but it doesn't cover a ton. If you are worried about large issues coming up, like several tooth trims, a stasis event, etc, it is worth having. If your bunnies are usually healthy and don't need much more than annual check-ups, it's probably not worth it. It also does not help pay for spay/neuter, unfortunately. This is the only insurance I know of in the US that covers bunnies.

Hi,

This is who I have Delilah covered with. VPI. They seem decent but have not used them yet for any of my policy. I want to get Peanut on it and the 2 new babies BUT they require you have your buns for at least 60 days and they also require vet records IF there are any current or recent health issues such as sneezing etc. So, Peanut can not be covered until he is cleared from the vet and 3 months has gone by with no returning symptoms or issues. Then I re-submit vet records.

Like Tonyshuman said...unless you are going to the vet more often then just annual check ups then it prob is not worth the $$$.

Also, they do not cover one cent up front. They actually have you pay all fees then you said in a form (I think the vet fills some of it out) and then they mail you a check. That is the part I am not particularly fond of.

tonyshuman wrote:
VPI (petinsurance.com) does. It's about $12/mo for each rabbit, but it doesn't cover a ton. If you are worried about large issues coming up, like several tooth trims, a stasis event, etc, it is worth having. If your bunnies are usually healthy and don't need much more than annual check-ups, it's probably not worth it. It also does not help pay for spay/neuter, unfortunately. This is the only insurance I know of in the US that covers bunnies.

You would probably do better to just set up a savings account for vet bills. Put $10-20 a month per rabbit in. It would at least help with the costs. I would not use it for regular check ups and just save it for when you need it.
It would not be much help for a while as you need to save the money, but you might be able to get interest on it. Once you have the money there, it is there and can cover any medical need. Where as insurance might not cover some things, so you could be on the hook for it anyway.
A credit card, just for vet or pet expenses is another option. There is also CareCredit which is like a credit card that can only be used at vets, doctors etc. I believe the interest is lower than a regular card and might be easier to work out a payment plan. Your vet does have to accept it though.

Back