Anyone know much about the breed Tan

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbit Lover02

Reaction score
Hi. I'm thinking of getting into the Tan breed. Does anyone know much about them. Like keeping, breeding, showing. Please do not think I do not know much about the breed, I am just seeing if I can learn more about the breed so I can be fully prepared.

P.S.
If you have any questions go ahead and ask.

I am in south-west VA.

Plus. I just got an email back from someone that breeds Tans is VA. They said they would give me a good show-quality, young, breeding pair for $130

I am looking for a pet, but, If I can find any shows around here, I will probally enter in those.

Are you getting them from Kaitlin Mayberry? I like hers! You are more than welcome to post pictures of them when you get any.

Have you done any research o their disposition and such? They are not cuddly rabbits and would much rather run around instead. They have awesome and fun personalities!

I have 2 bucks. They are quite fun, but are a very active breed. Kraken will tolerate being held more than Tesla, but they tend to prefer to run around than sit still. I have found that they seem to need more food than other breeds of the same size, mine eat 1/2 a cup a day of pellets compared to other rabbits I have that get 1/4 cup. Part of it is due to them being intact, but they are active so need some more food.
I would recommend having something for them to do. Mine do agility and love it and have tons of fun. It is fun to watch them run around and have fun too. Even just watching them run around a pen is entertaining.

Since you are looking more for a pet, I would recommend meeting the rabbits before you commit to them. This can give you an idea on their personality. Tans seems to be pretty outgoing, so even at a show they should be interested in what is going on around them.

I got my first pair of Tans in November 2011 and have been dabbling in the breed ever since. If you're interested in attending a show and getting to see some Tans, there is a show March 23rd in Aylett, VA that I know at least I'll be at with my Tans. I would be happy to let you handle some for yourself if you attend. :)

If you're looking for just a showable pet, I highly recommend a buck over a doe... My bucks have all been goofy, sweet rabbits, while the does tend to be very moody comparably. Woahlookitsme is right; Tans are not cuddly bunnies, but they have such fun, active personalities! If you're interested, I do have a very sweet, easy to handle buck for sale... He would be a good option if you're just looking for a showable buck, but if you're looking at getting into breeding Tans, a pair from the other breeder may be the better option if they are of nice quality.

I saw Kaitlin Mayberry's Rabbitry, but never checked it out. I will be sure to do that. I might be getting them from a Rabbitry called "Larues Wascawwy Wabbits"

I have done some research, and we are going to build a pen in this large area, I'm going to put my chicken coops and rabbit hutches in there, So if they're such a hyper breed, they can run around in that pen (with my supervision)

That is a good idea. I will probally go to the breeder I might be buying from, then check out the breed.

I'll see if I can come Revverress

Kaitlin said she only has a doe left for sale but might have someone that already bought her. She sent the buyer an email just now. She said there is a guy from NC that shows with her and she really likes his rabbits. She said she doesn't personally like the type on the larue's rabbits but she said they are nice people. She is going to ask her friend what he has available. Ill post in here just to give you options :)

Thank you. Well, I cannot get anything from her unless she will ship it here, or her bring it here because she is to far away.

I was wondering... Is there any other purpose of Tans beside showing?

Kate uses tesla and kraken as rabbit hoppers :)

Also when they get older some tans calm down and could make great therapy buns. We had two of ours that were given to people that visit nursing homes. If you can go to a show that would be the best way to get some. There is usually no cost to transport if you meet at shows. Most of our shows are 2-3 hours away but there are some that have been 11-14 hours away. We are some
Serious hobbyist lol

Be sure you know how to house them comfortably in all kinds of weather. The hot summer weather might stress them outside without a nearly-constant supply of ice blocks. Ceramic tile flooring also is somewhat cooling. They really can't take it at 85`+.

Our tans actually do better than other breeds we have had before in the heat. Our summers hit easily 100-110 deg F and we keep tiles in the cages, ice in the water, and Ice bottles are given in the hottest part of the day(1-3pm). It's become a routine now but we haven't lost any due to heat (knock on wood)

I love the breed Tan rabbits there soooo cute:foreheadsmack:I don't know why i didn't get that breed when i could have a bunny.

Latest posts

Back