Anyone keep fish?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahsop

Reaction score
I have a tropical aquarium (the third love of my life lol!) yesterday with hubby's help we gutted the tank, added new plants and 4 baby Angel fish....they are sooo graceful and relaxing to watch.

Thought I would share!

Any one else have fishy friends?

sarah x :headflick:(i love this bunny, does any one know how I can make it part of my signature? My first bunny was a dutch called Pippa. I have some very embarrassing pics I might share one day!

Get the pics in the blog:biggrin2:you can't say that and not show and tell:biggrin2:

Bruce's mum used to have tropical fish, she did have angel fish at one point they are gorgeous. I had a couple of huge goldfish when i was younger and a bottom feeder he was my favourite:)

I am a fishes worst nightmare.

I used to have the skill or patience to keep a tank, but I lost it somewhere along the way.

I currently have a 30 gallon tank that houses a pleco. He was a solitary critter for about 2 years before I got him a 3 legged turtle buddy.

My dad keeps a salt water
BuddyandMeganll002.jpg

Fish are so awesome, my mom has a beta fish named Finnigan who is spoiled rotten :p. He is very comical and will come up to the glass when someone's in the kitchen and puff out. If you put your nose near his tank, he'll come up as close as he can and stare at you.. funny little guy!

I'd love to have a large aquarium one day filled with pretty fish! Such a pretty tank Yomo! Is the clown fish named Nemo? Hehehe ;)

Keep swimmin' swimmin' swimmin'...

My brother has a salt water tank as well. It's small, but beautiful.

I'm considering starting a tank of my own up this coming spring, but I dont know what I'll keep. I have a 29 gallon tank.

I have goldfish out in a pond which used to have huge koi... we had a flood a couple of years ago and my koi swam away... My pond is a raised pond so I didn't think about it because it flooded before but never got to the top on the pond... before i realized how high the water got it was too late...

I have had tropicals in the past ... one day I will have some more

My name is Valerie and I'm a fishoholic :biggrin2:

I have 10 aquariums going right now. I keep freshwater tropicals as salt is a bit too expensive for me right now. I have everything from planted tanks, to shrimp tanks, to cichlids.

Here is a couple shots of 2 of my tanks.

ABcontest58g033.jpg

15g.jpg

i have a 12 gallon FW with two angels(one white, one 'calico'), two blue danios and three panda corys(they're soo cute!). i've had fish since i was nine almost constantly:biggrin2:, i like to watch them when my blood sugar's high or low, it relaxes me and helps me feels better:p

Valerie, your tanks are awesome! Are you using a special lighting system or anything for the plants? My tank is just a mess as far as the plants go. I just stick them in an open spot and let them grow. I might change that in the next few months so my potential baby fishies have more places to hide. My crypts mysteriously died anyway and they need replacements. It's an hour drive to a place with decent plants though.:?

I only have one 29 gallon freshwater tank right now. I used to also keep a 10 g, 5 g,and a 2.5 g betta tank too but that was all before I was allowed furry pets. I just recently did a big change on the species in my tank. I had a bunch of older tetras- some inherited with the tank- along with a trio of cories and a Kribensis. I got a rubber-lip pleco last summer and he brought in ick. Boom,all but onetetra, the Krib,and one cory died. So depressing. A few weeks ago I finally went and got more fish, this time livebearers. I used to have male guppies in the 5 gallon and really liked them. I gota trio of Dalmation Lyretail Molliesand two trios of red/orange Mickey Platies. They're doing really well and are so much more active (and hungry!) than my tetras were. And since they're always out and active, my Krib is out more often too, checking out what they're doing. My cory is lonely but I don't want to get more since the platies and mollies are more than willingto eat scraps off the bottom. And if I remember right cories don't do wellwith salt,and I'm using 1 tsp/g to keep the mollies happy.

I'm hoping for babies because they're fun, and one of the pet stores in town will take extra babies if my tank gets too crowded. But since I actually want babies I probably won't get any survivors.

I'll try to get a decent picture although it's not much to look at. My fishies are cute though!

Nice aquariums!

Right now, I have a 46-gallon freshwater tank. It currently houses two XL angelfish, some harlequin rasboras, an albino cherry barb, some platies, a rainbow shark, two comet goldfish (they came inside for Winter, they live in a pond outside), some albino cory cats, a bunch of striped kuhlii loaches, some black kuhlii loaches, and an albino bushynose pleco.

I also have a 15-gallon saltwater tank. It WAS a 38 gallon, but I downsized due to lack of fish (and not enough money to replace them). I have a few hermit crabs, two ocellaris clownfish (like Nemo), and a yellowtail damsel. My clowns are named Jim and Pam. lol

We also have two male bettas. I have a blue/green betta named Oscar, and Will has a red one named Little Fish Guy.

I worked at the pet store, and it specialized in fish. I had to learn a lot, and FAST! lol

I have pictures of the freshwater tank and the two bettas in my blog (Blog for the Bun-Buns).

Hey, what pet store did you work in, out of curiousity? And would you recommend it? Waukesha is awfully far to go for fish and aquarium plants(at least in winter lol!) but it would be nice to have a new place to go to. And I could go when I visit TreasuredFriend again.:p

I don't know the Milwaukee area too well. The only good store I know is Hoffers on Good Hope Road, which is where I always get my plants and some fish. All the stores ever have up hereare high-light requiring plants that will die in my tank.

*off to check out your blog thread*

I worked at Aquatic World in Oconomowoc (midway between Madison and Milwaukee). It USED to be really good. My original boss went bankrupt, so I was fired. I got my job back under the new owner, who fired me 'cause he was a jerk. It never got back up and running how it should have. He went bankrupt, so it's a constant "liquidation" sale there. It's stupid.

Yes, Hoeffer's is a very good store. I find that they are a little bit pricey, though. Other than that, Aquatics Unlimited is the only place that I can think of. It's on HWY 100 (South) and has the most aquariums (or gallons) than other places in Wisconsin. They have almost anything you can think of. The whole perimeter of the store is basically fish tanks! Two walls are community, one is all cichlids and the other is saltwater/reef tanks. There are three levels of tanks per wall. They have some nice BIG displays, too (full-size arawana, some huge pacu, etc.)

They are fairly reasonable as far as prices go, too. They have live plants, as well. Even the kind for people like us who don't do so well with plants ;)

Oconomowoc is way out of the way, so I guess it's ok the store isn't as good any more. I'll have to check out that other one sometime, maybe when it warms up in the spring so stuff doesn't die on the way home. Or I could just swear not to buy anything but plants... that never works.

It never ceases to amaze me how the stores here don't have basic low-light plants like java fern, anubias, or crypts. I have a double-light hood and I can usually grow those just fine (except for the case of the mysteriously disappering 3 year old crypts). It's the sword plants and the little frilly things that don't grow cause they need more light. I think a lot more people would have real plants if they knew which ones would actually live in their tanks with basic minimal lighting. I'm a plant/bio nut so I researched and I played around expecting failure just to be sure.:p Although I did get some hornwort for the livebearer babies, it's cheap enough I don't mind replacing it every few months if it keeps them alive.

I do I do! Lol.

I have three bettas;

Zelda is a striped female. She's like a coppery-silvery color, like tanish, idk, hard to explain. She has a black horizontal stripe on her body, and she reminded me of Zelda, hence the name.

Rosie is a Red Cambodian female and I fell in love with her the moment I saw her and knew I must bring her home! I'd always wanted a cambodian and gosh I couldn't resist! She's mostly pale/pinkish with red fins and stuff.

Rainbeau is a rainbow coloured boy! lol. He's really light coloured with traces of reds, oranges, greens, purples and blues.

I actually need to clean out their tanks today...but I think I'll wait and do it tomorrow, I'll just filter some of the water tonight. :)

Emily

naturestee, I had good luck with ambulia and cambomba plants. :) They lived at least six months and were $1.99 for a bunch back when I had live plants in my tanks.

I grow algae the best :D

kherrmann3 wrote:
naturestee, I had good luck with ambulia and cambomba plants. :) They lived at least six months and were $1.99 for a bunch back when I had live plants in my tanks.

I grow algae the best :D

:biggrin2:Lol. My older sister has a fresh water tank and some live plants and some type of cichlids (sp?) she seems to grow algae the best in her tank too! :plol.

Emily

Latest posts

Back