Anyone Heard Of This?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JjGoesBounce

Reaction score
Hi all it's Jj!

I was perusing a pet store the other day and all of a sudden "happened" to stumble upon the small animal section. I stared at all the treats "Carrot Flavoured Treats (hmm real carrot?) Yogurt Flavoured Treats, Berry Crunsh Flavour, Woodland Flavour?, Milk Drops and Chocolate drops.

I just got a bit uneased at the sight of Chocolate Flavoured Rabbit Treats.

Does anyone use them?

What are they like?

Good or bad?

Only occasionally right?

I always thought milk was bad for other animals, besides their mothers milk...

Jj

Dairy products are very bad for rabbits. It sets up the wrong bacteria in their digestive systems and can cause issues down the line.

Remember, pet stores are in the market to make money, not to make your pet healthy (in general). It's up to you to read the ingredients and see if it is ok or not. People in general feed their pets what they think would be yummy. Hence the chocolate flavored treats. Even if the treats themselves are ok, you are still giving your bun a taste for chocolate. Then what if they steal the real stuff? Katie and Fraggles had a scare and ER visit last year when Fraggles stole some chocolate. Why encourage it to happen? (please note, Katie did not give Fraggles chocolate treats or encourage this, it just happened)

Personally the only store bought treats I use are the oxbow ones because their ingredients are ok to me.

All pet products are marketed toward people. As people, we want variety and treats that look yummy. Most people like chocolate and candy, and may think their pet will like that as well. The pet companies will make products that appeal to this. They don't really care if the product is healthy as long as people will buy it. Also keep in mind that many families that have pets also have children and children will want to pick out treats for 'their' pet. Kids like candy, so will want to buy those kinds of treats.

Candy coated, chocolate, sugary snacks are not healthy for rabbits or any other pet and can be very dangerous for some.

I would never buy those items. There are far better treats you can give, even ones you can make. No need to risk problems on some treat that is not good for your pet.

Wow thanks all!
I was just wondering because they were there, I'd never feed them to Pembrooke. ever.
Thanks !
Jj

Back