Anyone heard of probs with sugar content in pellet food?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Hey guys. Another thing I was toldrecently is that almost every pellet food out there has too much sugarin it, and that the only brand out there that doesn't is one you can'tbuy in stores, but can buy at this particular place I was told thisat. Do you think there's truth to this, or do you think thiscould be a ploy to get me to buy the food at THEIR place?

Has anyone heard of sugar being a problem in pellet food (even Oxbow)?

P.S. I feed my buns Kaytee Supreme Rabbit Food, and haven't heardanything wrong/bad about it until now. It's the only one outthere I've found that has the right amounts of everything for mygrowing buns. Thanks! :)

I use Kaytee's Timothy Complete for my Munchkinand it doesn't have any added sugar. There's a mention in theIngredients about Cane Molasses but it's way down the list.

Who gave you this information about too much sugar in rabbit pelletsand if it was at a pet store, why are you not taking it withagrain of salt?

I suspect a ploy here. I had an employee at the pet store I gotMunchkin at try to push some rabbit feed on me that had treats in it. Ipolitely told him that there was no way that I was going to feed mybunny any kind of pet store junk food.

Blyre

I got told it by someone in ashelter. I took it with a grain of salt, but wanted to makesure I was right by doing so. Unless I heard otherwise, I wasgoing to continue feeding my babes what they're already eating (which Ilisted), as Maisie's been with us for about two months now, and had NOproblems with the food. :) I just feel the need tobe even more careful now that I have a little one that is somalnourished. Flower's starting basically from scratch withfood, and I have to keep quite a serious eye on what she'seating. I don't want her to have problems just because Ididn't take the time to check something out, ya know? :)

Thanks, guys!! :D

Blyre wrote:
I use Kaytee's TimothyComplete for my Munchkin and it doesn't have any added sugar. There's amention in the Ingredients about Cane Molasses but it's way down thelist.

Who gave you this information about too much sugar in rabbit pelletsand if it was at a pet store, why are you not taking it withagrain of salt?

I suspect a ploy here. I had an employee at the pet store I gotMunchkin at try to push some rabbit feed on me that had treats in it. Ipolitely told him that there was no way that I was going to feed mybunny any kind of pet store junk food.

Blyre

I'm curious what brand they werepushing? Some people get very attached to one brand andinsist that everything else is horrible junk, even though it's plainlynot true.

It's not unusual to see cane molasses in pellets, but there's usuallynot much. Probably just enough to add a slight taste and helphold the pellet together.

They're pushing something called American Pet Diner. Does that sound familiar at all??

naturestee wrote:
I'm curious what brand they were pushing? Somepeople get very attached to one brand and insist that everything elseis horrible junk, even though it's plainly not true.

It's not unusual to see cane molasses in pellets, but there's usuallynot much. Probably just enough to add a slight taste and helphold the pellet together.

I meant "junk food" in the sense that it was loaded with treats i.e.dried vegetables, seeds, dried fruits, etcwhen all thenutritional value should be in the pellets themselves. I haven'texposed my Munchkin to a wide variety of treatsand I thinkshe's too young (12 weeks) to be diverted off the straight and narrowfeed path by a bunch of extraneous items. Plus, I'm afraid that shewould end up picking out all the treats and not eating the pellets.

I don't necessarily mind a spoiled bunny but I refuse to aid in thecreation of an obese bunny with a future of preventable health problems.

That's just my opinion though. :)

Blyre

Blyre, I think she was asking me what brand theperson that had told me about the sugar content was trying to push onme. I know Naturestee agrees with you about the junk foodidea. Heck, I know I do. :)

maherwoman wrote:
Blyre, I think she was asking me what brand the person thathad told me about the sugar content was trying to push on me.I know Naturestee agrees with you about the junk food idea.Heck, I know I do. :)

Oops, heh, sorry :D

Blyre

Lol...:)

Blyre wrote:
maherwoman wrote:
Blyre, Ithink she was asking me what brand the person that had told me aboutthe sugar content was trying to push on me. I know Naturesteeagrees with you about the junk food idea. Heck, I know Ido. :)

Oops, heh, sorry :D

Blyre

I use Purina Complete Blend (green bag). I'dlike to upgrade to thePurina Advanced Nutrition (blue bag),but haven't found a distributor that carries it.

I can remember a salesperson trying to push an off brand on me once. Itcame in a plastic jar and you could see that it was full of junk. Iopened it and you could actually smell the sugar. It was like trailmix!!

...stoopit stickie keys on the keyboardddddddddddddddd

:X

Now, Jim...what did you spill on thekeyboard?? C'mon...fess up, man...you know you spilled somejuice or something...LOL!! :)

JimD wrote:
...stoopit stickie keys on the keyboardddddddddddddddd

:X

Eww...lol...I hate trail mix, so the thought of giving it to my bunnies kinda made my stomach turn. Lol...blech...

I think there's a feed place near me that carries Purina brand rabbitfood...I'll check them out today or tomorrow to check prices andsuch. Is Purina much more expensive than the Kaytee Supremethat's out there?

JimD wrote:
I use Purina Complete Blend(green bag). I'd like to upgrade to thePurina AdvancedNutrition (blue bag), but haven't found a distributor that carries it.

I can remember a salesperson trying to push an off brand on me once. Itcame in a plastic jar and you could see that it was full of junk. Iopened it and you could actually smell the sugar. It was like trailmix!!

maherwoman wrote:
Is Purina much more expensive than the Kaytee Supreme that's out there?

I pay $8.50 for a 25 lb bag of the Purina at Pet Goods.

Oh wow...even considering I live inCalifornia vs you living in NJ, that's a good price! I spendabout $6 on I think it's a 5lb bag of Kaytee Supreme here!There in NJ that might end up being about $3 or $4...still a BIGdifference!!

There's a place near me that looks like they might carry Purina...I'll check them out today. Thanks!

JimD wrote:
maherwomanwrote:
Is Purina much more expensive than the KayteeSupreme that's out there?

I pay $8.50 for a 25 lb bag of the Purina at Pet Goods.

You might find the prices to be close to what we pay.

I pay 7.99 for 5 lbs of Kaytee Timothy Complete.

Wow...I guess the prices ARE similiar! Sheesh!! :shock: Purina it is!!

Back