Anyone heard of a ARBA show book for dummies?? LOL

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavenlyshelties

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

Well I went out and checked out some breeders and decided after going through many breeds that we'd like to get a holland lop doe for a friend for miffy. After reading about all the breeders and checking out the arba website I really want to show and my six year old really wants to get started in 4-H showing rabbits. Since we only have room for one more bun I found a breeder not to far away who has won many shows and is a registered judge for ARBA. He gave me lots of info on what to look for and has some tortise does and some blue does up for sale right now.

BUT we are really wanting a broken tortise doe and well he had one that wasn't ready to go yet and he isn't sure if he wants to sell her so we are waiting for two weeks and then contacting him to see what his descion is.

Now my question is, while this nice man gave me tons of information he is to far away for me to be bothering all the time with questions and I really need info on how to show. I have looked all over the arba website and can't find anything that I understand. Anyone know of a ARBA show book for dummies ??? LOL!

Where do I find shows, can I only enter after i register with arba. How much does it cost to enter, what titles can you win? Where can i find shows to go to and check out and does it cost anything to just go to them?

TONS of questions and i can't even begin with the 4-H questions.

Anyone know of any links for the kansas area that this would help me with. I have looked for 4-h clubs around me and i can't seem to find any either though i know they are out there.

PS. We actually took Miffy with us per his request and found out she is one of his dutches he sold to a petstore in his area earlier this year. He had like 50 dutch rabbits but only about 10 of the holland. They were all nice and pretty and clean and it seems pretty well set up. He was very informative and showed me a lot of what to look for and what will get points taken away. It's to bad Miffy wasn't show material. But we love her just the same and he enjoyed seeing her again and seeing how well tamed and loved she was though he told us she was to plump and to cut back on the food ( we were apparently feeding her twice as much as she should have been getting ). Any information would help.

thanks everyone!!

I think the best place to start is by joining the ARBA http://www.arba.net/ You'll receive the ARBA Guidebook that is packed full of information on all aspects of rabbit raising and showing.

You'll find a show listing on the ARBA website.

If you're interested in Hollands, I recommend joining the National Holland Lop club. You'll receive a guidebook on Holland Lops with your membership.

http://www.hlrsc.com/

I have some rabbit quizzes on my website that are good study guides for 4-Hers and I also have showmanship info (links are at bottom of page).

http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/

Pam

[align=center]
BabyHollandCollagesmall.jpg
[/align]

Thanks pam.:)

I was reading your questions and i am wondering now don't laugh lol.

ShouldI start teaching these to mysix year old who wants to do 4-H with her new bun? Issix toyoung to learn these things or does most 4-H kids start out that young?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks again, it's some great info - stuff I deffinitley need to learn myself!!

Let me help you with a few of your questions.

First of all - if you go to the arba website that Pam gave you - you can get listings of shows in your general area.

You can find this information out by clicking on "Show Dates and Info" on the right hand side of your page.

It will take you to a page where you can then find out shows by state, month, etc. I'd look for shows in your state between July & December (to get this year's shows) and if you want - you can use the HL designation for "breed show". I would check both boxes for open and youth.

The listing that comes up should give you some pertinent information - date of show, where it is located, who is sponsoring it, the secretary's email and home address along with phone number.

I would click on the secretary's name to get their email and then drop them an email and ask for a "show catalog". Trust me - its free usually (except for the larger shows). The catalog will usually tell you what time the show starts, who the judges are, the breeds that are being judged, the charge for entry, and I forget what all else. I'm sure it will tell you if preregistration is needed too!

Prices for the shows vary from place to place around the United States....so I'm not going to guess how much they run in your area.

The catalog should also tell you if the show is a cooped show or not.

What is a cooped show? I'm glad you asked! A cooped show means that your rabbit stays in a coop there all during the show. When you get your rabbit registered and then show up - if it is a cooped show - you will be told what coop # your rabbit goes in and you will mark that in your rabbit's right ear (if I remember right) with a marker. Your rabbit's left ear should already have a tattoo in it for permament identification.

If the show is NOT a cooped show, then you will take your rabbit in some sort of carrier. IF you only have one rabbit - you can use a pet taxi or something like that - but it must have some sort of a bottom to it so that rabbit "blessings" don't get left behind on the show floor.

When your breed and type is called (example: "Holland Lop Open - Torts) - either you or a runner (depending upon the show) will bring your rabbit to the judging table.

Now when you get to the show - you will have filled out at least 2 forms (I'm guessing). One is a larger, longer form where you list your name, address, phone number, etc. along with each of your rabbits. You will NOT be listing the rabbit by name. I forget everything that goes on this form - but I know it will ask for Ear number, buck/doe, category (sr/jr, etc), and variety (tort/sable point, etc).

You will also fill out a smaller form caleld a "Rabbit Show Remark Card". This will ask for: Ear #, Coop # (if used), Entry # (you will get that number when you register for the show and check in), Exhibitor's Name, Address, Show (I'll explain that in a bit), Date, Breed, Variety, and then if its a buck/doe, category (sr/jr/etc) - if its a meat pen entry, etc.

The judge's helper/writer then fills out the bottom 2/3 of the form when the judge is judging the rabbits. Here in Texas, we frequently get the forms back almost immediately - I don't know about where you are and how they handle it.

Now - about the "show" question on the form. In some of our shows here in TX, they are what are called "Double shows" - meaning two different judges will judge the rabbit....so we'll frequently put "A" or "B" on the card. (By the way, this is a duplicate form so that the show keeps one copy and you keep a copy). Otherwise, if it is a single show you might put down the town where the show is being held or the club who is sponsoring it.

Ok - with that said - along with joining ARBA, I would join the Holland Lop Specialty Club if you're going to show a lop. You'll learn SO MUCH about the standards, etc. for your rabbit.

Here is their website:

http://www.hlrsc.com/

Pam Nock raises Holland Lops and she may know of other clubs for your state that she would recommend. She is also an ARBA judge and a great help to us on this forum!

On the Holland Lop (HL) specialty club page - I would definitely check out the link to "HL Info/Articles" as they are great for ANY rabbit owner - not just HL owners.

Good luck on showing. I know nothing about showing w/ 4H so their setup is probably different from ARBA. I was trying to help you know how to go to an ARBA show and get registered, etc.

Peg

P.S. Before I forget - you do NOT have to be a member of ARBA to show at most of our shows here in TX - I don't know about other places. Your rabbit also does not have to be registered w/ ARBA or even a purebred (although it helps). You don't need to bring your rabbit's pedigree with you UNLESS you're going to get it registered w/ ARBA which you can do when they win a leg or something like that. Since lionheads aren't a recognized breed - I don't know all that stuff yet....

Also some tips: Be sure to take lunch with you when you go to a show as vendors can get expensive. I'd also bring some bottled water or something to drink - along with a drink for your rabbit and maybe some hay for them. Bring your checkbook or credit card or cash as there will be vendors with rabbit supplies for sale. I'd also suggest bringing a folding chair or something - but you may want to ask the show secretary if you're allowed to bring them or what they would recommend for a first-timer!

Also - I'd bring a notebook to jot down the names and email addys of the new friends you'll make and also anything that they try to teach you about rabbits. Trust me - if you go wanting to learn - you'll learn!

Oh yeah - and I always recommend a 2nd and maybe even 3rd rabbit carrier....because you will most likely come home with another rabbit if you're like most folks on this board!

thank you thank you thank you lol.

That is some great information lol. :)

I only have room for one more bun in my small house so I know i wont be bringing any home - lol

I'll get on that site now and found out how the secretary is and give them a buzz.

thanks again for all the information!! :)

I am so excited. I wish they had one close by today to go to and see what it's like!! :) LOL

thanks again.

heavenlyshelties wrote:
Thanks pam.:)

I was reading your questions and i am wondering now don't laugh lol.

ShouldI start teaching these to mysix year old who wants to do 4-H with her new bun? Issix toyoung to learn these things or does most 4-H kids start out that young?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks again, it's some great info - stuff I deffinitley need to learn myself!!

I don't think that 6 is too young to begin learning. My son, Matthew, competed in the Pennsylvania State Convention Royalty contest at age 5 in Feb. 2005 (1st runner up). He also competed this year. The PA royalty is one of the most competitive that I've ever seen and the young kids have to do the same written test as the older kids. They also do rabbit/cavy judging, showmanship, interview and breed/variety ID. Matthew has a blast and adds to his knowledge each year.

We homeschool, so I just add rabbit studies to our curriculum.

Unfortunately,Matthew's not old enough to be a full 4-H member yet (minimum 8 years of age) -- he still has to wait another full year.

Pam

MattLord2.jpg

TinysMom wrote:
When your breed and type is called (example: "Holland Lop Open - Torts) - either you or a runner (depending upon the show) will bring your rabbit to the judging table.

Just want to clarify that Hollands aren't shown by variety -- they are only shown as "solid" or "broken".

Pam

Well that's great news! Heaven is only six so she'll probably have to wait to be a full member then (when i found out who does the 4-H around this small little town lol). We are going to go to some fairs out in MO next month and check out their rabbits. I am so excited. I can't wait to get started when i finally get my HL!

thank you pam and peg.

I love all the great information you can get from this wonderful board and everyone is so nice. Thank you again so much.

PS. Pam - matthew is such a cutie!! :)

Latest posts

Back