Anyone have experience with rabbit malocclusion?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayelleess

Reaction score
Ten days ago, I adopted a male, 11-wk old Holland Lop from a breeder. The breeder didn't realize until I went to pick him up that the rabbit had developed malocclusion in his front 2 teeth (incisors). Instead of the top teeth overlapping the bottom, the bottom are in front of the top. I decided to adopt the rabbit anyway, for no cost.

The breeder demonstrated how easy it is to trim the teeth with a simple cutter tool. It took about 1 minute and the rabbit didn't struggle (so, assuming he didn't feel any pain). The breeder said he would only need this done once every 6 weeks or so, and could easily be done at home in conjunction with trimming his nails. She assured me it was no big deal. After some online research, I know people warn against cutting the teeth yourself, but I cannot afford to go to the vet every month to have them trimmed (I live in a very expensive area) - so if I am unable to trim them myself I will have to give the rabbit back to the breeder so she can rehome him.

There's a lot of conflicting information out there about rabbit malocclusion. I'm wondering if any of you have any personal experience you'd like to share. Have you had a rabbit with malocclusion? Did you trim the teeth yourself? Did it get better or worse with time? Did you find anything that helped the bunny (particular chew toys, or food)? Did you find that the malocclusion affected his behavior or temperament? Have any of you had the rabbits' incisors removed to make it easier on the bun?

I've had the rabbit for 10 days, and his teeth are already growing back pretty quickly so I need to figure out what to do. I just want him to be safe and happy, and if I really really shouldn't attempt to trim them myself, I need to return him to the breeder. Thank you all!

Has this rabbit seen a vet? While there are cases where only the incisors are affected, often molars are also affected and that's not something that can be done at home. Personally I wouldn't recommend trimming incisors at home either as the general consensus is that it's better to grind them down than to clip them (as clipping them can cause them to split).
One of the best options for a rabbit with a malocclusion is removing the teeth so they no longer have to be trimmed.

If the breeder lives close to you, another option might be to work out a deal where you bring your bun to her for his monthly trimming, for a small fee. The breeder I buy my hay from offers teeth trimming for $5, so you might be able to work something out if a vet's cost is too prohibitive for you. But I agree with missyscove that an initial vet check is essential to make sure his molars aren't overgrown as well.

Cutting teeth isn't advisable for the reasons already stated. Your dilemma is understandable. Dental buns aren't easy. They require a lot of care and upkeep, to avoid problems and keep them healthy. But something also to keep in mind, if you return the bunny, it doesn't mean that it is going to get it's teeth trimmed the proper way, and it's fate may even be uncertain. It's not always very easy to find homes for special needs rabbits. If you do decide you can't care for him properly, I think finding a rabbit rescue willing to take him in, would provide him with the best chance possible of getting the care he needs.

If you decide to keep the bun it is possible that the misalignment may be due to chewing at it's cage bars, and in some cases after a few trims, as the bunny matures, the teeth may grow back properly aligned. In the meantime, some things that may help with wearing down the front teeth are apple branches where he has to use his front teeth to strip the bark off, and thoroughly dried pine wood blocks to chew on.

The incisors can sometimes be surgically removed, but you need an experienced vet to do it, and it will be very expensive to have done.

Best of luck with your cute little bun :) I hope you are able to keep him.

Ten days ago, I adopted a male, 11-wk old Holland Lop from a breeder. The breeder didn't realize until I went to pick him up that the rabbit had developed malocclusion in his front 2 teeth (incisors). Instead of the top teeth overlapping the bottom, the bottom are in front of the top. I decided to adopt the rabbit anyway, for no cost.

The breeder demonstrated how easy it is to trim the teeth with a simple cutter tool. It took about 1 minute and the rabbit didn't struggle (so, assuming he didn't feel any pain). The breeder said he would only need this done once every 6 weeks or so, and could easily be done at home in conjunction with trimming his nails. She assured me it was no big deal. After some online research, I know people warn against cutting the teeth yourself, but I cannot afford to go to the vet every month to have them trimmed (I live in a very expensive area) - so if I am unable to trim them myself I will have to give the rabbit back to the breeder so she can rehome him.

There's a lot of conflicting information out there about rabbit malocclusion. I'm wondering if any of you have any personal experience you'd like to share. Have you had a rabbit with malocclusion? Did you trim the teeth yourself? Did it get better or worse with time? Did you find anything that helped the bunny (particular chew toys, or food)? Did you find that the malocclusion affected his behavior or temperament? Have any of you had the rabbits' incisors removed to make it easier on the bun?

I've had the rabbit for 10 days, and his teeth are already growing back pretty quickly so I need to figure out what to do. I just want him to be safe and happy, and if I really really shouldn't attempt to trim them myself, I need to return him to the breeder. Thank you all!
--this is something that shall not be postponed,--a rabbit must be able to chew properly the grasses,etc.-failing to do so will compromise its health in a short period of time..--I have adversions to breeders,but the bun must see an exotic dvm quickly to closer identify the problem,,an examination and proper grinding of teeth may be all that is required to save this bun..--sometimes it is a heredity,-but most often the problem has been ongoing without proper diet or caring,--here is a link that may help http://www.medirabbit.com sincerely james waller :wave2:cry4::angel::twocents:heartbeat::flowerskiss:

Hi there,

I had this problem with my lovely Lottie. The Vet removed her incisor and she has been fine ever since. Was quite shocked when the Vet suggested it but I think it is the kindest treatment. Hope that helps

Thank you all so much for the advice! I scheduled an appointment with a rabbit vet for this Saturday to assess his teeth. I'm writing a list of questions I want to ask the vet - any suggestions of questions not to forget to ask, that might be helpful in figuring out what to do? Thanks!

Thank you all so much for the advice! I scheduled an appointment with a rabbit vet for this Saturday to assess his teeth. I'm writing a list of questions I want to ask the vet - any suggestions of questions not to forget to ask, that might be helpful in figuring out what to do? Thanks!
--excellent decision,--become familiar with medical terminologies for rabbits,--knowledge is power,some vets hang on tirelessly--if they talk at all..--observe everything,-log any paperwork vigulently,--above all ask questions if you feel lost,,--please let us know the outcopme as time allows,,-sincerely james waller :clapping::group::inlove::bunny22:

You want to make sure the molars are checked, as well as a basic wellness exam to make sure there aren't any other health issues. And just asking about the surgical option and cost. But until your rabbit is full grown, you won't know for sure if continued trimming or surgery are going to even be necessary. With any luck, you may only need a few trims and the teeth will correct themselves and grow in correctly.

Best of luck at the vets!

Latest posts

Back