Anyone have experience with pneumonia?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clyde42483

Reaction score
Piper, (3.5 y/o. Dutch just about 3kg) stopped eating and had no solid output for 2 days. I started him on critical care and took him to the vet who diagnosed pneumonia via an X-ray. They gave him subQ fluids and started a course of oral baytril. (22.7 mg twice a day for 14 days) Bowel sounds were present but minimal. I'm feeding critical care at 50 cc/day divided into 9cc doses. Timothy hay and orchard grass always available, fresh kale and Italian parsley offered frequently per his usual diet. We're now beginning day 6 of the baytril. Piper is alert and active at near normal level, but still won't eat and has scant droppings. We seem to be holding. (not getting worse, but not better either) Perhaps the antibiotic hasn't taken hold yet? I'm afraid to start tapering off the critical care until I'm seeing improvement in the pneumonia and the output. Anyone have experience with pneumonia? Any thoughts or wisdom to impart? We've got a follow up with the vet in a week. (As we finish the course of baytril.) Should I be worried more than I am?

No personal experience, just articles that I've read. It can be very serious, particularly if more severe signs of difficulty breathing are occurring (which would be an emergency).

If you aren't seeing improvement, or symptoms are worsening, I would suggest contacting your vet right away, as a different antibiotic is likely needed. Azithromycin has been the most effective for treating infections with my rabbits (URI and abscess). I saw significant improvement in a couple days, but there can be some risks for giving it to rabbits, mainly GI problems.

2 weeks isn't likely to be long enough for the baytril, if it is working and you're seeing improvement. Usually much longer antibiotic courses are needed for rabbits. Usually 4-6 weeks minimum, depending on the antibiotic.

This is a good article on pneumonia in rabbits. Though be warned, it contains graphic necropsy photos.

(LINK CONTAINS GRAPHIC MEDICAL RELATED PHOTOS)
Medirabbit: pneumonia

Latest posts

Back