Anyone have cats...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have had cats and rabbits together for 16years without a single incident. Eugenia Victoria, our dwarfwho died at age 13, used to chase the cats. Coney, who passedaway at age 15, loved to herd the cats. Freddie and Alexandertreated a feral kitten we found in the woods as though she were anotherrabbit - grooming her, sleeping with her, etc.

We currently have 14 senior cats, 4 young cats and 3 rabbits.They are often alone together. Most of the time they ignoreeach other. Occassionally Melody chases and scares our 3 19pound Maine Coon cats Of course we spent time introducingthem all.

This is just my opinion - I would not leave my own bunnies on a frontporch alone. There are too many predators - cats canobviously get over thegate, a determined dog could get overit or knock it down, and worst of all, there are too many humanpredators out there. It would only take a minute for anill-intentioned person to grab your rabbit and be gone. Toomany news articles and stories have been posted on the board aboutpeople taking and hurting pet rabbits or hurting them on their ownproperty. I think leaving the bunny out there is asking forheart ache.

Trapping your neighbors cat and taking it to a shelter will not solvethe problem of your rabbit's safety. At this time of year,you probably won't be able to find a shelter that will take acat. Check out Petfinder and see how many shelters have catoverflow alerts. Thereis a good chance the catcould end up euthanized. And your rabbit would still be indanger from other predators.

Depending on how your porch is built, there is a possibility it couldbe grabbed by a raptor.You don't have to be in arural area to have falcons and hawks. Once, in downtownCleveland, a falcon knocked down a pigeon and landed 10 feet away fromme to get the bird. It was the middle of the city.

I think Gypsy and some others had the best idea about building sometype of enclosed run. And preferably away from humaninterference.

Back