Anyone have Brittania Petites?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentle giants

Reaction score
Well, that pic Pam posted in one of the threads of the baby Brittania Petites has really stuck in my head, I think that is about the sweetest little baby I have ever seen. So I am looking for more info on them, if anyone can give it to me. I have a couple of questions:

1. Are they what is called a running breed, that needs to be exercised/run?

2. Is there another similar breed that is just called the Brittania, or is that just a short way of saying the same?

3. Do they tend to have any difficuties giving birth or breeding in genenral, like I have heard that some very small breeds do?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me!

A couple friends of mine raise petites.

According to them they are good mothers and have no problems kindling.

They do not have large litters though.

They are a very energetic breed but are not shown an a running breed,

they need to be trained to pose on the show table.

I will warn you they did not give them the nic-name land shark for no reason.

Roger

LOL Roger

They are VERY fast and VERY feisty! They are not supposed to be run on the table.

I'll post a couple photos of Judge Josh Humphries at a judge's conference demonstrating Petite handling. The three different posing methods are the shoulder hold (which Josh recommends to avoid getting bit), The "prayer" hold (good for young Petites), and the head hold (danger might get bit!).

Pam

They probably have litters of like two or three, right? Someone said that Netherland Dwarfs have litters of about that size, and I think they are pretty close to the same size? I was doing some reading, and one thing I am confused about is this-what is the difference between the American Polish, British Polish, and the Brittania Petite? Are they all different breeds, or what? I also read that little ones need cages with solid floors, because the kits can break a leg if they get jumping around. One more question, and I will go away for the night, LOL. Are they easier to frighten/spook than other breeds? There is a lot of activity in/around my barn, and if they would be scared all the time, of course then they would not be right for me.

They are smaller than a netherland dwarf with a different build.

They are an arched breed and much finer boned.

I was confused by the different names they are given in different countries.

England uses the name Polish for what wecall Brittania Petites.

Polish are a totally different small breed in this country.

They do have litters of 2 to 3. As for solid bottom cages I am not sure

if they use them for babies. I do know that they use 1/2" X 1/2" wire floors

instead of 1" X 1/2" wire.

I don't think that I have ever heard them say they were any more easily

spooked than any other breed but they have alot more attitude.

Roger

Attitude I don't mind, that can be fun, so long as it's not a mean attitude, LOL. I'll have to give this serious thought. If I did decide to start in Brittania Petites, it will most likely wait until I have gotten my Mini Rex lines improved some.

My Misty definately has some BP in her as she looks JUST like all the pictures of Britannia Petites (except she is3.5 lbs - which is heavy for a BP). I just wanted to comment on the attitude - SUPER fiesty! And Super fun!! She's has so much personality it's amazing. The most intellegentbunnyI've owned by far and the most mischeveous. She's learned commands over time and obeys them pretty consistently.Personality like you would not believe. I would get another Brittania Petite in a second.

And yes, she was a harsh biter when she was angry at me.

Good luck!!

_________
Nadia

It sounds like they would be really fun. I'm definatly going to give this serious thought, I might be interested in getting a trio at some point. I will have to learn more about the breed standard and the like first though, and mabye talk to some breeders at shows and the like, I want to know what I'm getting before I buy. When I was starting in my MR, I didn't do enough research, and wound up having some pretty poor culls foisted off on me. Of course, one of those is about the sweetest doe I have ever met, and I really don't think I could part with her, LOL. Funny how things like that turn out,isn't it?
:D

Latest posts

Back