Anyone have any certain breeds of rabbits they won't own

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CKGS wrote:
I would love to meet Chibi! The nethie was actually a breed I was VERY interested in until I met a few whom were not nice at all and so I focused my attention at other breeds. I would love to have a nice nethie if I can find one. I think they are adorable.

If you are ever in the area you are more than welcome.

NZminilops wrote:
Breeds I don't like the look of:

Lionheads. They have boogly eyes and always look terrified or angry.
Rex...sometimes...they are a bit "gamey" looking for me (like a wild bun). Some individual rex and minirex are just gorgeous though.
Flemish giant.
English lop.

Pretty much anything too fluffy or anything with a huge long face. I like compact bunners.

:hugsquish:

I haven't seen you in a while and was just thinking of you last night and thinking I should drop you a PM (I was trying to go to sleep at the time).

SO GLAD to see you ...

I'm not a big fan of Nethies - I"ll take Pebbles or Theresa or any of Polly's nethies...but not others pretty much.

British whatever they're called - won't want those - babysat some for a few days before taking them to a show for another breeder...was warned to not leave my finger / hand in or near the carrier as they bit. Wow...talk about installing confidence in me.

I can't picture myself with a mini rex or rex. Fur is nice - but the mini rex mixes I had were more energetic and "pick me..pick me" than the others I've ever had.

After having a french lop - not much of a fan of those. I love any of the other lops though...

Guess that's about it!

Wooly breeds I would taketwo in paticular (Chubbs and Ziggy) but other than that the only way they come into my home is if they have head-tilt. Why? Allergies.

Mini-Rex maybe if I find the right one right now haven't met one that caught my fancy.

Thats it. I would take most any. Ask me my dream breeds and that is another story.

JadeIcing wrote:
Ask me my dream breeds and that is another story.

Yeah - I'm more likely to want certain breeds (hint hint: FLEMISH) than not want a breed.

Speaking of flemmies I'm watching Sophia go up to Sasha (idiot dog) to nudge her for grooming- and then she takes off binkying towards the kitchen.

I think there's nothing quite like a flemish binky...I even had time to get in two sips of my coffee before she landed (just kidding...).

TinysMom wrote:
I think there's nothing quite like a flemish binky...I even had time to get in two sips of my coffee before she landed (just kidding...).

HAHAHHAHAHHA!!!:laugh:

I just laughed so hard I woke Ryan up. Now I'm sending him to Texas so you can deal with him being a grump all day!!!

Well the joke used to be that when a flemish was going to binky - you could go out and pour a cup of coffee and walk back to where they were and maybe even drain your cup before they would land - because they are so SLOW compared to other bunnies.

Sorry - you get to keep the grump there - Art is entering his two month "alien" season where I get see the very worst in him. It comes up on an annual basis - not sure why...but I sure do love snuggling with Zeus!

I will never own BP's because I've honestly heard nothing good about them, even from the people who breed them! LOL

I also have no desire to own really any of the market breeds; Cali's, NZ's, etc. They're big and fat, no color, just don't excite me personally.

I also don't really like ML's. They come off to me as just really broody Hollands. LOL! I know they're not, but that's just how I personally see them.

It would largely depend on individuals though, for the most part.

I have to say, I'd probably avoid the wooled breeds. Just too much upkeep for my circumstances. (Although, with the heat we've been having, I'm wondering about my white Flemish! It looks like a snowstorm every time I turn on the fans!)

Chalk is at least part Polish (so I'm told by people on here) and she is LOVELY! She nips from time to time, but only in a playful way. She has never been even the tiniest bit mean. She kisses your nose, chins, and is just a very sweet bunny. Doesn't like being cuddled and is cheeky as anything and a bundle of energy and independance, but I love her all the more for it :)

I probably wouldn't pro-actively go for the more wollen breeds, purely because of the maintainence with the coats, although I do think they're gorgeous.

Other than that I can't think of any breeds that I wouldn't want to own. We haven't chosen any of our current bunnies based on their breed; they're just who we happened to fall in love with.

I would love to own a mini-rex someday though. Mouse I'm sure has some rex in her and she's got a crazy personality. I held a little REW mini-rex girl yesterday and I just couldn't stop stroking her fur. I literally wanted to run away with her!

So in short, no there aren't really any breeds I wouldn't want to own!:D

I used to think lops were weird-looking, but when I adopted, the paired up bunnies were all one up ear and one lop ear. Now I think they're adorable.

My boys are both lops, one Holland and one Mini, and they're both fabulous in their own ways. They do uphold the stereotypes, my Holland is pushy and my Mini is grumpy/shy. My girls are both mixes with up-ears, and they are also fabulous.

I think I would probably steer clear of the wooly breeds, due to the upkeep.

Wow, this is interesting, I guess rabbit people are just like dog people (I would never,ever own a yorkie). I do not have much experience with rabbits, I really like the look of the lops, the dutch and the rexes. Before I had a rabbit I did not like the look of the very small bunnies with the little ears and big eyes, but when we went to the shelter all they had was one of those, so Hoppy came home with us and now i think they are adorable, the smaller the ears the better. I would not get any of the long hair breeds just because its too much work with the brushing. I think I would prefer the smaller bunnies, Clover is over 5 lb and seems big to me but he is very cute and I do love him. But my husband loves the Flemmies and keeps on saying he wants one, I would be fine with it but he does absolutely no work around the pets so I tell him that since I clean and take care of them I get to choose the type. But probably one day he will just show up with a giant bunny because he knows that if I see it I wont be able to say no, especially if he makes up some story of how it really needs a home.

I don't think I'd have another American Fuzzy Lop... Rephrase, I'd take an ADULT AFL, but the baby coat just about killed me to take care of and only now does Mary Jane LOOK like he's taken care of, which makes me sad. Now that his baby coat is going away he looks much better and I feel more confident about his grooming, haha. Personality wise he's amazing, so it's not that aspect.

The Brittania Petites and Tans are ones I wouldn't own, I just don't think they are that cute... But then again I don't find Flemish all that attractive, but I love their personalities (Breakfast). I know I'd never have the patience for any sort of Angora. GORGEOUS rabbits, but I couldn't deal with the grooming. I also probably wouldn't have a French or Holland lop either, dunno why, just not my cup of tea.

I doubt that I'd ever have a dwarf; I've heard of too many tooth-related issues.

And while I adore the Mini Rex (especially the two we have now), they've had so many stasis-related issues that I don't think I could risk having another one in the future. (Our one girl developing megacolon symptoms at five weeks of age didn't help my anxiety any.)

I probably would never have a standoffish or headstrong breed, either. I doubt that I'll ever have an English Spot, for one.

In truth, there are many bun breeds that I'll never have. Honestly, I don't know if my hubby and I will even have rabbits after our current three. We may stick to dogs and cats--animals for which vet medicine is a more of an exact science in the present.

Jenk

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
I also have no desire to own really any of the market breeds; Cali's, NZ's, etc. They're big and fat, no color, just don't excite me personally.

I once felt the same way about those breeds; then I met a sweet Cali boy at the shelter, and he melted my heart. :D He and I play chase nightly, and he loves nothing more than to snuggle in my arms. And I've heard nothing but praise for the NZ from people who've lived with one (or more). So that may be a breed for me to consider...one day....

Sorry to get off-topic....:p

I would not choose any rabbit with long fur, even a lionhead despite the fact that I used to love them. I also would never pick a big rabbit, not much bigger than Ebony.
Actually, the only breed I ever want again is a Rex or Mini Rex.

mini rex. i am sorry, but i have a rather strong disliking to them. they have a great coat, but i have worked with to many of them that i couldn't stand to ever choose to own one.

i bred dwarf hotots for years, and the common joke between the breeders around here was the dwarf hotots motto was "ouch, it won't let go". no thanks. i am not saying that they are all like that, i had some real sweet ones, including a little buck named chance that would jump from the grooming table into my arms on command, but in general, i would be to afraid to end up with a "mean line" to get one.

don't like many of the full arch breeds, but i would like to experiance what a checkered giant is like (just because i've never really been around them), and i LOVE rhinelanders (owned many of these guys during my breeding days and adored them). but tans, brits, spots?? i think i'll pass

i really want and english angora, but i know that i will never own one. its just to much fur for me to take care of.

holland lops, netherland dwarfs, polish. . .i have owned all these breeds, and i am just not a fan anymore. hollands were mymain breed when i showed, and my heart rabbit was a holland, but i just don't care for them to much anymore. nethies and polish just don't do anything for me.

what wouldi love to own? flemmish, i loved my old flemmie boy bruno. another english lop (althought it would hurt to have another, i don't think i will be ready for one fo these guys for years), a cali (great personality, very sweet rabbits), champagne d'argents (sp?) because they are such cool rabbits, i want another rhinelander, i wouldn't snub away from another mini lop, or possibly a french lop.

Back