Anyone Familiar with the Silver Marten breed...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~*Midnight Moon*~

Reaction score
As some of you may know I breed and show a few different breeds. I have just recently purchased a pair of Silver Martens both black in color with the proper markings for show and breeding to add to my lines.

Awhile back I bred them for the first time and when the babies arrived I was shocked to see what was awaiting me in the nest. The doe (Casanova) gave birth to 1 black, 3 chocolate, and 2 pure white babies.

Now I have done my research and I know just as every other Silver Marten owner they do not come in white.

My question: Is it actually possible for them to be born all white by accident because of their lighter colored markings on the stomach, around the eyes, and behind the ears. Or my worst fear, does one of the parents carry the dilute gene?

any ides?

Thanks!

Desi =]

If they are pure white with ruby eyes, then that means that both parents carry the albino gene. This albino gene will cover all other genes and make a pure white rabbit by removing all pigment.

Not an "accident". Most likely New Zealands were crossed in to improve type.

The "dilute" gene is blue - you are referring to the gene for albinism. As already pointed out, both of your rabbits have to carry it in order to get albino kits.

Yep, I'm aware on how how albino gene works. However I wasn't aware both parents have to carry it?

I have more problems with the dilute gene then the albino gene. But that's just me. =P
They actually cross New Zealand rabbits into the Silver Marten, I've never heard about that. I suppose you learn something new everyday!

Latest posts

Back