Anyone ever use Probiotics for rabbits!??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luna21

Reaction score
I recently purchased something called Probioticsfor rabbits, I mix it in their water every morning when I change it!! Iwas just wondering if anyoneelse has ever used this product??and if its a safe and healthyfor daily use!!??imjust curious!!;)

Hi Luna,

I have read and heard different things about probiotics.

The manufacturers state that it the best thing in the world.

The researchers say that the use is controversal. They say that ahealthy bunnie with a healthy diet should not need probiotic additives.

Jim

hmmm then I wonder if I should be using it atall?? my buns are healthy except for Flopsy, he has had chronicsneezing !! I also have been using vitamins but thats probably anotherthing that rabbits don't really need if they have a healthy diet!! Iguess I just want to keep them extra healthy!:Dbut I think Iwill research these products further and weigh the pros and cons

It won't hurt anything, but as Jim said, it'sdebatable if it actually helps anything. Studies haveindicated that the probiotics, not being native to that particularintestinal tract are killed off and do not actually inoculate the gutwith any healthy agents.

We have found probiotics such as Acid Pac to be helpful during times ofstress such as traveling and showing, but it could just be theelectrolytes that actually help and not the probiotics. Theproduct is also sweet and encourages the rabbit to drink, which is aplus during hot weather and traveling.

I really would say that the product is not necessary as long as the rabbit is healthy and on a balanced diet.

Pam

I recently starte dusing probiotics for my two -I noticed that they are drinking more water, which is great as one ofmine has that calcium thing which causes his wee to be sludgey (can'tremember its proper name) so the more we can get him to drink thebetter. I also think its made their coats softer and more glossy butthat may just be a coincidence.

As Pam says it can't hurt, and I long as i don't see any detrimentaleffect then I'll keep mine on it - especially with Charlies calciumthing and Fern is almost permanently on antibiotics.

While we're on the subject of getting our buns to drink more - a littledrop of apple juice in their water works wonders. I only do this whennecessary and make the juice myself (I don't trust that there isn'tsugar in shop-bought juice).

Latest posts

Back