Anyone ever heard of this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrisandSoup

Reaction score
My rabbit is 10. And I've noticed a few things in the past few months.

She seems to get confused sometimes not often but moe than before. She being more destructive. She is pretty trained and lately she tends to do more and more things she knows she not suppose to do. Its like she has spots of forgetting things.

When she is sitting still it seems like she a little unbalanced. Like a slight wobble of her whole body.

I took her to the vet bout 6 months ago I took her to the vet. She woke me up by thumping over and over again that's not like her. She just seemed so confused about where she was and what to do. All she wanted was to sit right nxt to me and thump. Doctr said nothing was wrong with her that she could hav had a small seizure.

I'm worried. She my life. Does anyone know what I could do or what it could be. I can't really find a good rabbit dr around where I live.

I understand she's getting up there in age. So maybe its somethng similar to dementia?... if anyone has ideas please tell me!

Yes, I imagine a small seisure/stroke could cause the symptoms you describe. I don't know if you can do much of anything except to comfort her when she's confused. People who have had strokes can learn to use other parts of their brains, but it takes effort on their part that a rabbit wouldn't know how to do. But rabbits aren't worried about the future, either, so she's probably more content than you are right now. So just try to take things one day at a time.

I don't have rabbit experience with this, but I had an old dog (16 years old) who did the same thing. He had a few seizures which caused him some memory loss from time to time. He would walk around in circles for 10 minutes, trying to figure out what was going on.

It sounds like she just has a few moments where she is confused and not sure where she is. Like LakeCondo said, the best thing you can do is comfort her. It's a good sign that she wants to be near you - even though she is unsure of her location, she knows who you are and that you will keep her safe.

I don't think her being destructive has anything to do with memory loss though. I've found through personal experience that, as pets get older, they care less about what they're not supposed to do. It's as if they know they are old and we won't give them any trouble! I wouldn't worry too much about this. It's probably just her way of saying "I'm old, I can do whatever I want now"

I know how difficult and heartbreaking it can be to see her confusion, but you will get used to it. My dog lived for 4+ years after having his first seizure, and I'm sure your rabbit can too. Just keep her calm, love her, give her attention and pets. It's all you can do for her, but it's also the best you can do for her. Good luck :)

LakeCondo made another good point - humans are a lot more stressed out about these kinds of things than animals are. Your bunny doesn't know that she had a seizure and might have some memory loss, so she's not scared and worried on a regular basis. Try to keep that in mind. It's easy for us to feel so bad for them in these situations, but it's actually better for them to be unaware of what's going on. She's happy, she spends time with you, she eats her treats, that's all that matters to her. So comfort her during her times of confusion, but don't freak out all the time. She is happy and content, so you should be too. :)

Thank you guys for the information. I am going to be by her side always. She is in perfect health at her age so i will continue to try and keep it that way. I just hope she doesn't lose her mind through all this, that would by far hurt the most. but you guys are probably right im probably more worried for her than she is for herself. She does seem happy and content. It isnt all the time she seems confused just on occasions. i really wish she would stop being so destructive. But she probably does have that mentality im to old to care. as long as she doesnt get destructive im ok. Its on material items anyway it can be bought again. Soup is irreplacible. Im sure soup has a lot more years in her.

Back