anyone else do this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
I wonder if this makes me a huge freak, but does anyone else collect their bunnies' fur? I have Ziploc baggies for all three bunnies. When they're shedding and I use the Furminator on them, I put the collected fur into their respective baggies. Any found whiskers are kept too. I have baggies of cockatiel feathers as well. I don't know what I plan on doing with the fur but I have it anyway :D

I use to collect my cat's whiskers :) and I have a few budgie feathers. My clothes automatically collect bunny fur :p

Nope to many animals to start collecting fur.

I keep at least a small clipping of fur from each of mine. When Zeus passed away I got him a memorial photo frame and put a small clipping of his fur under the glass with one of my favorite pictures of him. When the others pass on (hopefully not any time soon!) I'll probably do the same for each of them. I know it's probably weird, but my boyfriend and I decided not to keep Zeus' ashes and I like knowing that I still have a small piece of him here with me.

Barnaby has the softest wool, and I have toyed with the idea of saving his fur when I brush him to see if I can eventually find someone to spin it for me. I haven't done it yet though.

I use the furminator too, mostly on Barnaby since he has long hair. It really works wonders on him! I'd hate to think of him ingesting all that fur if I didn't brush it off of him. Hartleybun - the furminator is a deshedding pet brush.

I did that once. Last time Nick had a really big shed, I collected all the fur I brushed and plucked off of him. In the end, I had a ball of fur, packed tightly, as big as he is. :shock: That was just to see how much came off, though, and I tossed it out eventually. I wouldn't know what to do with it, and I've got so much fur around all the time, I didn't see a reason to keep it!

If I collected fur I'm sure my mother would know about it because she would start sneezing her brains out! LOL

Maybe you will learn how to spin and you can make a sweater out of it! Talk about sneezing!

I actually do. lol. I usually just do it so in the winter time when a doe kindles, I could have extra fur for the nest (of course I rub it on her to make it smell like her). Never had to use it though. lol.
But it does make it easier in case you do need more fur for a nest ;)

Emily

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
I actually do. lol. I usually just do it so in the winter time when a doe kindles, I could have extra fur for the nest (of course I rub it on her to make it smell like her). Never had to use it though. lol.
But it does make it easier in case you do need more fur for a nest ;)

Emily
I did this a couple of weeks ago, Misty was due and Princess had a false pregnancy, so I collected up the fur for Misty's nest, rubbed it off her and gave it to her, she used it to make a lovely nest but unfortunately a sudden cold snap came and the babies died soon after I warmed them up.

Hazel-Mom wrote:
I collected some of Hazel's fur. I put it outside for the birds (mainly the hummingbirds) to line their nests with :)
I shake out my air filter outdoors, in hopes that birds might find the fur for nests!

I do that! Except not baggies, I have a strange vase jar thing I got from good will a couple of years ago that might have had something to do with mermaids. We call it "the butt hair jar" though we're not really strict on what sort of hair actually goes in there, as long as it came off of a bun. My hopes for it is that I can eventually send it off somewhere to have it made into yarn and make a blanket or something. Since I have wool producing breeds, that doesn't seem impractical.

My youngest daughter collected a piece of our Netherland Dwarf's fur - and after he passed, she's kept it in her jewlry box - my oldest daughter also keeps a lock of a horse she used to ride and became very attached to on her wall - if we keep loved ones locks of hair, why not our pets?

anneq wrote:
My youngest daughter collected a piece of our Netherland Dwarf's fur - and after he passed, she's kept it in her jewlry box - my oldest daughter also keeps a lock of a horse she used to ride and became very attached to on her wall - if we keep loved ones locks of hair, why not our pets?
That is such a great idea!! I never thought of that!

Hazel-Mom wrote:
I collected some of Hazel's fur. I put it outside for the birds (mainly the hummingbirds) to line their nests with :)
That is a great idea. I may steal it from you :) Between 2 cats and 2 rabbits I am sure I could really help some birds build nests instead of throwing it away. Thanks for the great idea.

Back