Anyone else addicted to pets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've currently got 15 rabbits, 2 cats, and...yeah, that's it. Not too bad, right? lol.

I'm hoping to add a guinea pig possibly in a few days! :) If that doesn't work out, then definitely within the next month or two.

Emily

YOU SOUND LIKE ME!!! Haha!

Most of my animals are rescues... one I stole from someone who fed his brother to a snake. When an animal's in need I can't help myself. My parents don't care for it. :/ My friend who's the same way is going to be getting a place with me. We plan on starting a rat/small animal rescue at some point (then I want to do pit rescues).

Haha. I tried rescuing and know I can't save them all.. I do think someday I'd like to try to get Layla a bunny companion when she's older. If my bf and I end up with a house and a yard we'd probably adopt a 2nd dog since my dog adores other dogs and would love the company of his own kind. I think my "ideal pet mix" would be 2 dogs, 2 bunnies, a tank of gerbils (either 2 or 3), and probably something small yet easy to care for like a fish tank or a robo dwarf hamster... Maybe a pair of rats but don't know... Haha

I've pretty much had every small critter you can have as a pet and I'd say bunnies and dogs are my most favorite, along with gerbils as a close tie :)

I had to remove Kijiji off my favorites tab... lol
My list:
2 Dogs, 1 rescued
2 SPCA cats
4 Rabbits
3 gerbils(my 10 yr olds reward)
1 bearded dragon (8 yr olds b-day gift)
4 hermit crabs(my 44 gal corner tank was empty lol)
20 adult mice and 50+ babies
I want a corn snake for my B-day lol!
Lucky for me we own our home, have 4 kids and I only work 4 hours a day so I have lots of time to spoil everything :)

LaylaLop wrote:
Haha. I tried rescuing and know I can't save them all.. I do think someday I'd like to try to get Layla a bunny companion when she's older. If my bf and I end up with a house and a yard we'd probably adopt a 2nd dog since my dog adores other dogs and would love the company of his own kind. I think my "ideal pet mix" would be 2 dogs, 2 bunnies, a tank of gerbils (either 2 or 3), and probably something small yet easy to care for like a fish tank or a robo dwarf hamster... Maybe a pair of rats but don't know... Haha

I've pretty much had every small critter you can have as a pet and I'd say bunnies and dogs are my most favorite, along with gerbils as a close tie :)

My ideal pet group is a third dog (preferably a older rescued Bull Terrier), some deigos, of course my rats, 2 ferrets, few mice, a boy and girl pair of cats, A gardener snake (not one that eats mice or rats!), and I think that's it... Lol. Maybe a teddy bear hamster... maybe, oh and perhaps a pair of chinchillas. Haha. My list, dang. Lol.

Same here. I have had a lot of pets while growing up. My favorites out of small caged animals though are rats, ferrets and mice.

I would love to have a ton but I know I can't give the individual time needed so I keep it to one or 2.

LOL I guess I don't have much of a life out side of my pets. Every furry gets cuddled every day (the fish and turtles would be most upset if I tried to hug them). The rabbits even have a tv viewing schedule so they can each watch their favorite shows with mom and dad. They really do show preferences!

My friends and family think I'm nuts that I have/want so many animals...but honestly they make me supremely happy. I'm always so depressed when I leave for college again, and although I get overwhelmed when I first get home I settle into my routine and remember why I love it so much.

I have two different pet lives, one at home and one at college. Currently the three pets that are MINE are two dwarf rats and a crested gecko. Here at school we're fostering a mama and her 3 babies (she actually just had 9 more...but her and the new babies are heading back to the shelter soon), and I feed a feral cat that hangs around our house.

At home, you can add 2 dogs, a cat, and 18 chickens to my list. I love all creatures and everything about them!

My ideal pet situation would be:
1-2 dogs (after the two I have pass), 1 cat, 1 rabbit, 2 rats, and a crested gecko. Maybe fish again, because I love bettas, and perhaps another crestie or two because they're easy to care for :p. I REALLY want a boston terrier puppy...that's first on my list. It'll be that or a bunny!

I love animals of all kinds, and would love to foster bunnies, but realistically, I can only care for the two rabbits I already have, especially in this tight economy. However, at one point, I did have two mice, a dog, and two rabbits, and we all traveled from FL to WA in a car (except for one rabbit, who was elderly and died). Flip-flop, my then rabbit, was a real hoot, and didn't seem very phased by riding in a car. I originally got Olive, my Holland lop of at the present time, as a single bun, but caved and got another rabbit for her to bond with (and, let's face it, for me to bond with, too!)

I agree with everyone. If I had a stable job and good pay I would probably have more animals then I do now, and all would be rescues/foster cares. I really want to get into Fostering. I know one shelter near me that helps pay for all your foster care needs; all you do is take the animal home for how ever long you want. I just don't agree with the shelter most of the time (They are the shelter that tried destroying my Pit Bull because Pit Bulls "Don't bring in money" and crap like that).

My problem is that I always feel the need to "balance" out my pets with rescue animals. Every time I get a new pet, I think "That's one less animal I could have rescued from the shelter".

Buy one from the pet store? Have to get one from the shelter to make up for the one I bought instead.
Got one from a friend who couldn't care for it anymore? Have to get one from the shelter to make up for the one I got from a friend instead.
Found one from the side of the road? Have to get one from the shelter to make up for the one I found instead.

MandyK wrote:
My problem is that I always feel the need to "balance" out my pets with rescue animals. Every time I get a new pet, I think "That's one less animal I could have rescued from the shelter".

Buy one from the pet store? Have to get one from the shelter to make up for the one I bought instead.
Got one from a friend who couldn't care for it anymore? Have to get one from the shelter to make up for the one I got from a friend instead.
Found one from the side of the road? Have to get one from the shelter to make up for the one I found instead.

I like that..... but if I did that I would end up with a butt load of animals... Lol.

Someone emailed me with 5 gerbils they have and can't care for. They had the mom and dad with 2 daughters together but had separated the brother.. Go figure since the dad will re knock-up the mom but the brother couldn't yet. So on Wednesday I'll be taking the mom and two of the baby daughters. If the mom isn't pregnant by some miracle, then the daughters will be her cagemates.. Told her to put the son with the father and then keep the other sisters with the mom to rehome them. I hope she takes my advice.. I'd take all of them if I could buuut I don't have room/time since I already have my rescued hamster, 2 gerbils, 1 bunny, and my dog.. So I'm taking the potentially pregnant mom and I think the daughters.. Good thing I love gerbils! haha

She's 8.5 months pregnant, so a possibly pregnant gerbil is the last thing she needs.. I felt I had to step in since it'd only be me moving my hamster from her 20 gallon to a bin cage and the gerbils into her 20 gallon long.. Not much change in amount of cages and I feel that I helped this lady and her gerbils out of a potential situation of unintentional overbreeding.

Here we go again! I just returned my mama foster rabbit and her 9 new babies (we're holding onto the 3 older kits) and they had an ADORABLE 1 yo female Holland Lop that was surrendered because of a new baby. I WANT HER!!! Blasted fosters....haha jk I love them dearly.

I'm hoping and praying she's there next month when we return the fosters...but I'm not gonna hold my breath :(

So I got the mom and 2 daughters. To me, the babies seem to be SUPER tiny and should be much larger for being 2 months old already, but the mom is super petite herself and probably way too young for breeding. Anyway, here's one picture I got of the mom (burmese color in the lower corner) and the one solid black girl who is crawling into my hand. That's a New Zealand quarter (had it sitting nearby) for size comparison. The other daughter I didn't snap a clear picture of, but she's a pied black, aka she is black with white markings.

Screenshot2011-11-16at65540PM.png

Also, thinking these may be my last add-ons for a while since I now have 5 gerbils, 1 hamster, 1 bunny, and 1 dog... With taking classes and looking at jobs, as well as potentially moving in the next 8 months I don't think I could handle any more! Haha (that's what I say now...)

i thought it was just me. i have been told i am not allowed on craigslist or in a petstore. i keep comming home with animals. right now i just have 3 cats and one rabbit and thinking of getting a hamster that i seen i want another rabbit but not untill i get mine neutered so he can act right :) i love animals and dont like to see them being neglected or abused or in a petshop cause they dont get treated right

My husband made me a deal that every month I stay off petfinder we can donate $100 to the pet charity of my choice. He figures in the end it is cheaper. He's probably right. It's working well so far.

haha! I had to make a deal with my boyfriend that states I'm not allowed to get any more animals... I can't stand people that can't take care of their pets... Although I don't see what his problem is, I only have Peter, a bird, and a hedgehog at the moment and they're all pretty spoiled and doing just fine :)

When the shelter in oakville re-opens I would like to start volunteering there atleast once a week... that way I get to help animals without bringing any home with me :)

yea i volunteer at the humane society i have to fight the urge to not adopt all the dogs, i love dogs, but i also volunteer at a monkey rescue which is cool, it seems to satisfy me, but i think i have decided to get another hamster after i get back from my mothers for Christmas

Back