Anyone deal with ADHD in young children?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Medication is not an easy way out and can be a blessing. I've had to take many various kinds for various reasons (including ADHD), along with therapy. I can't really comment on ADHD in young children, but It sounds like you are doing a great job. Getting professional help and testing is very important. Medication is something that should be up to you and the doctor. Do not fear it. Sometimes it's the only thing that can really help. Do be careful about OVER medicating though, which is a problem in children these days. Look into behavior therapy or take a class on ADHD to learn more and get support for YOU from other parents facing the same challenges.

He is on a strict schedule that does include helping me clean the house and going outside to play, building something with his blocks easy, coloring or drawing for a few minutes, but each one lasts 10 mins at a time throughout the day. When it comes to doing something like picking up his room or toys I give very specific directions and one at a time once the first task is done. I'll tell him to pick up his cars and put them away...once that's done its pick up ur clothes, and so forth till his room or where he was playing is picked back up. We go outside often and explore the neighboorhood just to give him a change of scenery for at least an hour a day.

I have read up online about different medication and none of them are recomended for children his age but with concerta I read the biggest issue with children his age is the side effects are escalated. And I forget who said about him not being vocal enough to tell me what is going on with how he feels, actually my son can come to me and tell me clear as day if he is in pain or he cannot sleep or his head feels funny. I will look around the area for other moms dealing with this or classes I can take.

The doctors are not going to just medicate, if they do or don't they are also going to put him in behavioral theraphy classes and discuss other tips to use to help deal with him. Also they are running tests to make sure it's not something medical and so far no new allergies, no sugar issues, no thyroid issues either which can often show the same symptoms as ADHD with the focusing being an issue. This evaluation in Dec will be more about mental aspects that might be affecting him too not just adhd but that is one option he is being evaluated for.

Thank you everyone for your tips and I will start working to incorperate even more ideas to help him learn and deal with everything.

not being able to communicate as not being able to reconize small changes like someone older would who understands cause and effect of the body more

have you tried doing a chore board with rewards of letting him put stickers on it. its very self satisfying for kids.

and theres great mommy boards out there that i am sure you could get some great help from :)

I have not ever had a problem with my son telling me everything- this year, last year, the year before. He is 6 now. Children can and often will tell their parents they are hurting. It is up to us as parents to understand/figure out what may be causing the problem. My son knew he wasn't eating and that he was angry with both medicines he had before and told me vocally.
I have the youngest son with ADHD and the oldest with it also and possibly bi polar which is what he is currently undergoing testing for. Strattera has been wonderful for my oldest son! He has went through many, many medicines over the years and nothing has helped like Strattera.
I, too, didn't want to medicate my children BUT I am seeing results. I wish, honestly, that I hadn't been against it earlier on. I am certain my older son would have benefited from them earlier on in his life. With the combination of meds and counseling/therapy- my children seem to be improving which is making for a happier, healthier home for us all.

i was diagnosed with adhd when i was a kid, and it wasn't the case. after a while my doctor tried for add, not the case either. it was just me. i didnt WANT to pay attention, cause it wasn't interesting to me. i did the whole dinner thing too. i just ate enough to fill me then didnt want to eat with my family cause they did the same thing, it was all just boring to me, so i took off. instead of making everything bland, try making it fun. it helped me when i was a kid, i eventually changed and grew out of it. now the aggression part... that needs to be corrected. as for add and adhd, it's really over rated. doctors will diagnose any kid to it that doesn't seem formed to society's standards. being hyper active just means that they have a lot of energy, and it's normal for a kid to have energy. some more then others, which means that all you have to do is give ideas on stuff to do that requires lots of energy. try signing him up for a kids soccer team or something. i think that at age 4, it's WAYYYYY too early to diagnose a kid with a disorder such as adhd. kids are meant to be really active.

btw, did you know that a few years ago there was a couple of cases where add/adhd meds had caused the death of kids? just letting you know so you can ask your doctor about it maybe.

Having ADHD goes far beyond just being hyperactive. I have the disorder and most people find it shocking because I'm rarely hyper active. For me all the hyperactivity is in my mind. I disagree with it being too early for such a thing. Diagnosing possible problems early can mean a much happier and stable life later on. Being diagnosed doesn't mean the child has to be put on medication either, if the parent doesn't want it. Many other options can be explored first.

Happi Bun wrote:
Having ADHD goes far beyond just being hyperactive. I have the disorder and most people find it shocking because I'm rarely hyper active. For me all the hyperactivity is in my mind. I disagree with it being too early for such a thing. Diagnosing possible problems early can mean a much happier and stable life later on. Being diagnosed doesn't mean the child has to be put on medication either, if the parent doesn't want it. Many other options can be explored first.

Well said.

I hate hearing people say it is overrated, doctors make it up.... Why because I have witnessed the ups and downs my brother has gone through. I know what the difference all the help he has recieved does for him. Yes my brother is an extreme case but some people with simple adjustments be it meds or enviroment or routines whatever they needs can make a world of difference. Yes some doctors are quik to label but some are not and that can be the worse thing of all. The sooner you start getting help the easier it is. That is why I am a firm believer that doctors and parents need to work together closely to get to the heart of whatever the problem may be.

The doctor my son sees refused to just medicate him which I respect and has set up for the full evaluation instead of just saying "its adhd take this". If I just wanted to medicate him I could find a doctor that would easy but that is not what I am after either. I know the help some have from meds while others need a stricter schedule or something changed in the enviroment. Not every person be a 4 yr old or 50 yr old will benifit the same from every treatment.

With my son it is not just about hyperactivity either. IF that was the case I could take him out to the park let him for hours on end till he's wore out and then have less issues. I've tried that and even when we get home he's still unable to focus for long. I have bought him building blocks because he showed real intrest in them at first but then his attention started to get shorter and shorter now to the point he wont even use them. I have done movies, games, outside activities, and everything....everytime its the same result.

Very well said Happi Bun and JadeIcing.

Flirtycuddle: good for you working with your doctor to weed out other possible issues first and for trying other things first, before medicating. It does sound like your son will benefit from medication. I have a hard time focusing even now when I don't take my medication.

A lot of medication say not to give until a certain age, but it actually can be given earlier with doctor supervision. I was on medication since I was 5 years old. I am able to function better in life. So medicating early can be a very good thing, especially long term.

Anyway, good job working with your doctor to find out if there are other issues going on, before medicating. Your son will benefit from all of this that you are doing. Hang in there, you will make it through this. Keep up the good work.

Back