Anyone Buy Hay From A Local Farm?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow that is a great idea to donate extra hay! I am going to do that when I am older!

We get our hay at Del's but we live in a small town and their are lots of people who make their own hay and sell it for real cheap. I am going to tell my mom that we should get hay from around here, it will save about six bucks and a 20 min trip to Del's if we only need hay.

Jim i would check Craigslist , put an add in the farm and garden section asking about local hay, that is what i did and i got an awesome response to hay around me and i just had to figure out where to go , the first one i got was bad, but the second person i went to it was really good.

Sligo !!!!! Oh my that is way to far to come and get hay,lol

JimD wrote:
I don't think anyone has 3rd cut yet, but a good quality 2nd cut would work.

The hay coming out now from our area is 1st cut, as the growing season started very late due to lack of moisture. People are scrambling to get hay. I will get a call when the hay is ready (hopefully next week).

Hay is scarce at the shelter. My bale lasted only a few days there. Someone donated some long cut grass, but it spoiled quickly as it was too damp. At times there wereno hay, and all the shelter could feed the bunnies was hay cubes, and pellets.

I'm going to run out of hay sooner than I thought....maybe a couple of weeks at best.

Kleenmamas is sold out.

I'm thinking of getting some from Sweet Meadows to tide me over. 30 lbs delivered for $33.

I've got a few leads on bulk hay, but it will take some time and arrangements.

There's a feed and grain in the next town over, and they have a larger more rural store about 30 minutes away.

I think I've found the supplier for the localhorse racetrack.... about 20 minutes from us.

There's also a few farms in central Jersey...over an hour drive though. Almost worth renting a small truck if the hay is good ***I've got a dinky car***.
At $5 for a 60lb bale, it would be worth making a day-trip out of it.

I managed to fit two bales of hay in my Ford Focus. One I did break up, the other I kept whole. You might be able to break up a bale to make it easier to fit in a small car.

pla725 wrote:
I managed to fit two bales of hay in my Ford Focus. One I did break up, the other I kept whole. You might be able to break up a bale to make it easier to fit in a small car.
My mom has a Foucs Wagon and we can fit 3 bales if the back seat is put down. 2 bales can fit in just the back, but it is a bit tight.

We love our fresh hay, too...and the buns practically INHALE it! :) It's so much cheaper, and such a higher quality than store-bought hay! :)

Stan...Sharin sent me a message saying that the hay is baled now...:D:D:D

Can we buy, like, 15 bales? (Not kidding...we want to stock up for winter.)

Rosie i plan on buying about that many to last me till next year too,lol

Heck, WHY NOT? I figure, it's so cheap, and around here by the time next year comes around, there'll be a pretty big shortage, so I'll want to be sure our guys are covered (Tucker, maybe literally, lol). I don't to have to pay shipping on buying hay online, ya know? Not when I can get it for $7.50 for a 15lb bale!! :D

We buy our hay around the corner from us, we pay 2.50 a bale. Which I think is pretty good. But we usually buy big round bales which cost $25. But I find the hay is dusty, it makes the rabbits sneeze and their noses run. I hate it, we need to find a better hay farmer I think.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
pla725 wrote:
My mom has a Foucs Wagon and we can fit 3 bales if the back seat is put down. 2 bales can fit in just the back, but it is a bit tight.

I could probably fit two bales (two string)in my Kia Rio....one in the back seat, and break up the other between the trunk and front seat. Gotta go solo to have enough room though.

My buns LOVE the 3rd cutI got from Kleenmamas, but it will be a few months before we can get 3rd again. The growing season is so late this year.

A bale or two of good 2nd cut would last me at least until the 3rd is ready...probably longer.
Then I could stock up on 3rd when it's ready. And I'd prefer to buy it bulk from a farm instead of buying online and paying to have it shipped.

If I can find good quality hay, I'd like to pick up 6 - 8 bales. I can store it in my garage.
They're always running specials on rental trucks around by us...$20-$30/day...and I could buy more/bigger bales.

Latest posts

Back