Anybody wanna fix this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoinBackToCali

Reaction score
The end of this article amused me greatly..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flemish_Giant

Flemish Giant is a type of rabbit, most famous for its unusually large size compared to other rabbits. Flemish giants come in seven varieties recognized by the American Rabbit Breeders Association: black, blue, fawn, light grey, sandy, steel, grey, and white. They are shown in a three class group: Juniors: Under 6 months, Intermediate; 6-8 months and Seniors: 8+ months. The weight for show classifications in the ARBA Standard of Perfection is Juniors should be 6 pounds and over, Seniors bucks are to be a minimum of 13 lb and does to be 14 lb, but there is no maximum size and they commonly attain weights of 18–22 lb.
No one knows the exact origins of the Flemish Giant Breed. It is surmised that the during the 16th and 17th century, Dutch Traders may have brought back giant Patagonia Rabbits from the Argentine Republic to Europe. The large rabbits of Flanders were well known at the time and may have been cross bred with the Patagonian. The name Flemish comes from Flanders. But because the Flemish exhibits the same body type and appearance as the Patagonian, it seems obvious that this Giant is descended from the wild Argentine rabbit.
There is no verifiable record of the Flemish Giant Rabbit until 1860. Travelers from Flanders spoke of the giant rabbits raised in that country. English rabbit breeders, raising the typical 7–8 lb rabbit, were having trouble meeting the demand for rabbit meat in their country. So some of these "Giants" were imported to England. It was only a matter of time before they began showing up at local rabbit shows. The original Flemish Giant was typically impressive in size, about 14 lb, and of a dirty iron grey color with sandy or white bars on the legs and long ears with bent tips. Now, through the efforts of Flemish Giant Breeders Associations around the world, our Gentle Giants have evolved to the 7 varieties (colors) and sizes of 14–20 lb. In the United States, the National Federation of Flemish Giant Rabbit Breeders was founded in 1915 to promote and improve the breed. First of all, lets start off with their weight. A Flemish Giants' weight should be anywhere from 14-22 pounds. Or even more! They are strong and muscular enough to handle children. They enjoy playing with children but if they are abused, they will fight back. Cutting Flemish Giants' nails is not necessary because when it comes to self-defense, they need hard and strong claws. They also use them for burrowing. An important health matter is having their fur glossy. Studies show that feeding them pansies can improve their glossiness. Don't go feeding them too much. It can cause urinary tract infections and diarrhea. Flemish Giants are best known for their humungous size and their astonishing weight. They are nicknamed the "gentle giants" because of their laid-back personality. Flemish Giants have a rare case of diseases but, they do occur. The most common ones are pasteurella, which can cause sneezing or eye discharge. Another one is diarrhea, and the most common, broken backs from trauma. When it comes to cages, they need a big one! You should consider one that is 4 feet long and 3 feet high. It must seem big, but they need it. Not only Flemish Giants but many types of rabbits tend to chew on electrical cords, which damage their teeth. KEEP THEM AWAY FROM ALL WIRES! If you are considering to let out your Flemish Giant in the yard, make sure all of the corners and areas are bunny proof. They are great burrowers and can escape at any given moment. Be very careful! Flemish giants make great pets. Enjoy!

Oh, wow... And all this time, I have been trimming the nails on my Flemish! I wish I had known it wsn't necesary, would have saved me a lot of work! :craziness

Back